Thread: Help needed on finding a local place to take 5 scouts on an overnight backpack trip

Help needed on finding a local place to take 5 scouts on an overnight backpack trip

We are out of American Fork, 3 leaders 5 boys. I had thought about going above Lake Mary above Brighton but I just got off the phone with the most unhelpful Forest Service guy ever, and all I got was "NO" you cant camp in that area and to look up the maps on the site to find out where I can camp. I just wanted to know if he had any recomendations of local areas we could backpack into.

So without starting the traditional I hate Scouts and I hate to see them on the trail and in my favorite sites, does anyone want to help me out with a good place for June 25th & 26th???

With as cold as its been lately I am a little leary on going too high or too far away. I suspect places I would like to go up in the Uintas will still be snowy or VERY muddy still at the end of june as it seems there is no end in sight for this crappy weather.

I had also considered up around Silver Lake up AF canyon but I bet thats watershed as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is still some snow now but it would be a good trek to head up to South Willow lake from North Willow Canyon, maybe hit up des peak before you head home on day 2..
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Lone Peak up to the Outlaw (Allen) Cabin is popular with the Scouts around here.....

Lone Peak Info
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/lonepeak.htm

Red Pine Lake or Maybird Gulch is nice but I have no clue what the snow looks like right now

Red Pine Lake or Maybird Gulch
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/redpine.htm

Dog Lake is always fun and should be pretty much snow free fron the Big Cottonwood side.

Dog Lake
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/doglake.htm

Also some good campsites the scouts use located about 1/4 mile above Fifth Water Hot Springs.

Fifth Water Hot Springs
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/fifth.htm

I had wanted to do Lone PEak and camp on the ridge were the evergreens start. There are some great spots but its a 3500' +/- brutal climb from the trailhead to this forested area. I am just a little leary of going that far and that much vertical for our 1st back pack trip. I have been wanting to spend the night there since I 1st went there. We will be leaving AF @ 4:00 Friday night so that puts us at the trailhead @ 5:00 and then a good 3 hours to a place to camp on Lone Peak. That does not give us alot of cushion before dark. I may run up to that location this week and time it, but it seemed like its 3 hours from the trailhead.

I have seen the cabin listed several times but have never been there. Is there ample camping in that area?

Red Pine & Dog Lake look like good options, We were just @ 5th water a few months ago. We camped at Sawmill and just avoided snow only because it quit raining as the temp dropped below freezing and the skies clearewd up. I think it was in the teens that night. Springs were a great treat after a cold night.

Camping around the Outlaw cabin is not a problem. Lots of open space. There is a big flat bare space in front of the cabin for sleeping and tents.

If you are just looking for a fast easy backpack after work that doesn't require much effert I'd suggest Lower Bell Canyon Reservoir.

Several descent campsite around the backside where the stream enters. Just follow the stream up canyon to several good sites.

Name:  p108..jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  45.3 KB

Thanks ICEAXE. Whats your best guess from trailhead to the cabin, or to lower Bell? Consider its 12-13 year old Scouts. Just trying to make sure we arent finding a site in the dark.

Hike up passed the Y to Maple Flats.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

There is still some snow now but it would be a good trek to head up to South Willow lake from North Willow Canyon, maybe hit up des peak before you head home on day 2..
    Is there really a lake up there? What's it like? And does it have fish in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    Is there really a lake up there? What's it like? And does it have fish in it?
    Ya there is a lake up there.. what is it like.. Really Small :).. There are no fish in the lake but both north and south willow have streams in them with brookies and browns that are rather fun to catch.
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

OK I am crossing my Fingers Red Pine will work. Hopefully there is no snow up there. Any funny regulations up there?? I know about 200' from water and no fires, but in all the pics from up there I always see people next to the lake. Are there camp spots 200' from the water???

Anyone been up there lately? If not, looks like I know what I am doing after work tomorrow.

There are two reservoirs up Bell Canyon. The lower was a pretty big lake back in my youth and was a favorite swimming hole of ours. But they decommissioned the dam about 10 years ago (it straddles the wasatch fault) and now its just a small lake. It takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour to hike to the lower reservoir. There is also an upper reservoir, its cool but a pretty tough hike. 3 or 4 hours one way. I have only been to the upper coming from the top down after finishing Lone Peak or Beat Out. There are some nice waterfalls between the reservoirs.

A group of scouts to the Outlaw Cabin would probably take 3 hours one way.

I'm thinking Red Pine will still have a lot of snow. They are still skiing at Snowbird.

Upper Bell
    Name:  bellupper..jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  179.7 KB