Thread: Pleaides?

Pleaides?

Anybody been in the last few days?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Mark of Moab and Kaysville and Chevrons,

I had some friends head to Moab on Thursday (along with hitting Zero G and Iron Wash in the Swell) and attempted to do Pleiades yesterday - but got rained out. They said the creek was too high and the flow looked "too dangerous" for their group of 6.

I'm sure it will be be better once these storms pass - but it will still be raging for a while.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

May be there the end of the week and am hoping............................

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    May be there the end of the week and am hoping............................
    1st time?
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    1st time?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Mark of Moab and Kaysville and Chevrons,

I had some friends head to Moab on Thursday (along with hitting Zero G and Iron Wash in the Swell) and attempted to do Pleiades yesterday - but got rained out. They said the creek was too high and the flow looked "too dangerous" for their group of 6.

I'm sure it will be be better once these storms pass - but it will still be raging for a while.
    How was Zero G and Iron Wash? Should update your canyon slot sticky. If we are not comfortable with the flow of Pleaides may head over to Zero or Eardley on the way home.

Blog Entries
    How was Zero G and Iron Wash? Should update your canyon slot sticky. If we are not comfortable with the flow of Pleaides may head over to Zero or Eardley on the way home.
    I just texted my friends for a update on the conditions of those two and he sent me the update. Check it out.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Anybody been in the last few days?
    We took a look at it yesterday. None of us had ever been...so...hard to judge. Did the first rappel, which seemed pretty reasonable. Scouted the second:

Name:  Pleiades..jpg
Views: 208
Size:  168.6 KB

We couldn't see the terrain very well, so, hemmed and hawed about it. Climbed out, hiked down, looked at it from the bottom. Still really hard to get a read on it.

Climbed back up, dropped back in, debated, then, heavy hail and snow kinda sealed the deal for us.

Talked to Moab Matt at the pub later...he'd done it in very high flow a bit earlier. Gave us some great info on what we couldn't see, which, spawned more debate about whether or not to try it today or not. In the end, we bailed.

We all had wetsuits, and, kinda felt a bit chilly (the water was pretty darn cold).

Compared photo's last night with folks who'd done it a couple of times. At least 1/3 to 1/4 of the water we saw, and, still tossed some of them around a bit. Maybe prudent we bailed...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    Last edited by Brian in SLC; 06-13-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelin air

Thanks for the picture. That's pretty strong flow. Did you do anything else in Moab?

Did you do anything else in Moab?
    Other than break a few laws...nah.

Here's the first rappel in Pleiades yesterday:

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Brian
    How does this rappel compare to this year? This was last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    How does this rappel compare to this year?
    Really hard for me to tell, but, more water yesterday? Kind of looks like a fair bit more. Double? More?

Here's a shot from my partner of me on that rappel, on the other side of the creek:

Name:  Pleiades1..jpg
Views: 206
Size:  145.7 KB

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I think your picture is the first rap, mine was the second. But I'm old and prone to not memberin'
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

wow, brian, looks intense!

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum