Thread: Heaps TR 6/11/10

Heaps TR 6/11/10

Heaps canyon
    It was a normal day like most working at the hospital 5pm till 1:30am, I went home to wind down, fifteen minutes later my buddy shows up "hey man you ready to do HEAPS"! Of course I am!!! By 3 am we were on the trail and starting our assent at the grotto. The hike was pleasantly cool, glade we didn't have to deal with the blistering sun. The sun started to show it self just as we reached the spring at the Telephone canyon junction. Wow what a view! Nothing but valleys, plateaus, and bright colors. Just another mile to campsite 4 until we can get into the good stuff. We followed the knife edge to the first rappel quickly bypassed it and moved on the the 205' rap. Once down we all were eager to get to the slotty sections so we jogged to the entrance. Breakfast/gear up break it was nice to finally take a little rest we flew the approach and made it with good time, did not know the exact time no watch. We chimneied down to get into the first small corridor took and immediately left and jumped into the first big pool of water swam across and did the beached whale. There were no technical escapes required at any potholes the entire trip, just tons of flowing water and swimming. I think we only rappelled like 7 times the entire canyon, the water was so full we just jumped most of them or chimned. It was a great day the sun was shinning down into the canyon so I feel we got some great pics finally of Heaps. This was my 4th time doing heaps and I always forget how long the canyon is, but man do I love it. I know one of my friends is not wearing a helmet sorry. It doesn't matter how many times you do this canyon the last three raps are always scary! My buddy Scott led the way and I cleaned up. It was a great day we finished up at 6 so 15hrs of fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images                                           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Excellent. You guys notice some weather in there? Very, very weird to see someone un-helmeted in Heaps. You might find those rope bag thingees useful too.

Tom

Yeah I told everyone to bring helmets just the one didn't I always wonder why they choose not to?!?! We barley even used our ropes we chimned or down climbed most everything in the canyon tested for depth and the rest of the group just jumped. No there was no weather at all, we went on Friday not Saturday the day before the rain. Yes, I wanted to bring my rope bags for easy rope stuffing and deployment, but the guy who brought the rope insisted in not used one???? O well still had a great time, great company, and got out before dark.