Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 hikers (2 are kids) missing in Zion NP on Fat Man's Misery

3 hikers (2 are kids) missing in Zion NP on Fat Man's Misery

Three hikers (an adult and a couple of kids 12,16) have been missing on Fat Man's Misery in Zion National Park since yesterday. They were supposed to spend the day (Friday) on the trail and camp in the south campground in the park. However, they didn't make it out last night (Friday) and their vehicle is still at the trailhead. SAR has just started searching.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There has been a flash flood warning out for Zion National Park and vicinity:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...sh+Flood+Watch

Does anyone know if that area recieved a lot of rain?

Let's hope for the best and that are found safe.

The helicopter was not able to find them tonight. They'll resume the search at first light. I'm sure they'd like volunteers if anybody is in a position to be able to help.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    The helicopter was not able to find them tonight. They'll resume the search at first light. I'm sure they'd like volunteers if anybody is in a position to be able to help.
    Is there a CALL for volunteers? Please provide a link. Volunteers are not always helpful.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Is there a CALL for volunteers? Please provide a link. Volunteers are not always helpful.

Tom
    Thanks, Tom. You make a good point. I'll see if I can get that info.

It sounds like they only want experts on the trail at this point.

Blog Entries
    You know any more details? I assume you are related or friend to the missing folks. Do you know what canyon/fork they entered? Do you know if they were inexperienced or veterans to canyoneering? first time down the canyon? I checked the CFS for parunuweap and from friday till now it has ranged from 38 to 43 CFS. Anything above 50 CFS would be really difficult for everyone (especially the younger kids).

Hope they can be found today.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'd say moderate experience. This was the first time down the canyon, but they've been on similar trails. The father should have had no problem with the equipment, but I suppose anything can happen on a new trail. To the best of my knowledge, they'd parked at the trailhead just west of the east entrance on highway 9 and had taken the standard route:

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/misery00.jpg

It sounds like they were the only ones on the trail and nobody had been on since. They've found tracks past the first rappel and have a couple of choppers out looking along with 4 on foot. Sounds like it hasn't rained.

One of my friends is on this search team.
    Last night in an email while prepping for a 5am start he wrote:
    --Hastily packing, not sure if it will be one day or more. I think the plan is for 3 of us to start in through the bottom of another canyon then rap down somewhere to look for footprints if none found jumar out. If we find some we follow.--

I believe there was rain yesterday, even hail in the valley. Spoke briefly to some other friends that had just exited Heaps and they said the weather got "bad" right at the hardest part of Heaps for them...I'm guessing mid afternoon.

Sending lots of positive energy to the missing folks, the family and friends, as well as the search team.
    Last edited by Suz_AZ; 06-13-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: oops left out a piece

Quote Originally Posted by Suz_AZ View Post
    --Hastily packing, not sure if it will be one day or more. I think the plan is for 3 of us to start in through the bottom of another canyon then rap down somewhere to look for footprints if none found jumar out. If we find some we follow.--

I believe there was rain yesterday, even hail in the valley. Spoke briefly to some other friends that had just exited Heaps and they said the weather got "bad" right at the hardest part of Heaps for them...I'm guessing mid afternoon.

Sending lots of positive energy to the missing folks, the family and friends, as well as the search team.
    Thanks for the info.

Curious... who's running the SAR... Zion NP or Kane County?

It's not always easy to find the route back over Checkerboard, particularly if rain erases footprints.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz_AZ View Post

Of canyons to be in for bad weather, Fat Man's is a good one as there are lots of escapes. Backcountry routes are called 'routes' not trails - calling them 'trails' is an indicator of a lack of understanding of the nature backcountry travel. (Thus, I guess that izzy is not particularly backcountry savvy). The problem for Fat Man's is navigation, rather than technical. Most likely they got lost. Hopefully they hold still so they can be found, rather than wandering further afield.

The difference between a "trail" and a "route" is that a trail can be followed without a map, whereas a route cannot. Routes have some signs of passage, and might get pretty close to being a trail; but have spots where you need to KNOW where you are going.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Of canyons to be in for bad weather, Fat Man's is a good one as there are lots of escapes. Backcountry routes are called 'routes' not trails - calling them 'trails' is an indicator of a lack of understanding of the nature backcountry travel. (Thus, I guess that izzy is not particularly backcountry savvy). The problem for Fat Man's is navigation, rather than technical. Most likely they got lost. Hopefully they hold still so they can be found, rather than wandering further afield.

The difference between a "trail" and a "route" is that a trail can be followed without a map, whereas a route cannot. Routes have some signs of passage, and might get pretty close to being a trail; but have spots where you need to KNOW where you are going.

Tom
    Thanks. I do have some level of experience in southern utah, but mostly in canyonlands. Most of my experience has been in the mountains of Northern Utah/Wyoming, so forgive my terminology. It sounds like they have finished searching the "slot" and have not found them, so hopefully they've just taken a wrong turn somewhere and nothing more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Curious... who's running the SAR... Zion NP or Kane County?
    My friend is with Zion NP but that is not necessarily the answer.

It sounds like they have finished searching the "slot" and have not found them, so hopefully they've just taken a wrong turn somewhere and nothing more serious.
    This sounds like good news and matches up with Tom's thinking.

They've been in voice contact with somebody who is "cliffed out". Don't know who or how many. So, hopefully that's them.

That's awesome(sort of).............I'm sure it doesn't feel great to be cliffed out....but awesome that they have made contact!

They've been in voice contact with somebody who is "cliffed out". Don't know who or how many. So, hopefully that's them.
    Sending a chopper to the cliff.

Helicopter saw three people waving on a cliff...150 feet up. Most likely them!

The next part of the rescue could be a little tricky and might take some time but it sounds like you will have a happy ending. Glad to hear!

I will be curious to hear the details of what happened, if you would be kind enough to share when you get them. I can think of a couple of scenarios that would put all three of them there. I have had to prusik up 75 feet when I least expected it but going up the rope it is an important skill to have.

Thanks to everyone for providing info.

It's been interesting to follow this in what is nearly realtime....