Thread: Climbing Power Drill

Climbing Power Drill

This is more of a climbing question but it crosses over into canyoneering.

Is a climbing power drill the same as a regular old hardware store power drill? Is there a preferred brand? Thanks in advance.

Side note: this is not to drill a hole in any sandstone canyon, so let's not turn this into a 'to drill or not to drill' thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I belive the proper drill is a hammer drill. I prefer Makita. (BTW, I wouldn't know a proper climbing drill if I saw one. But I do know a hammer drill when I see one and I know how to use it in rock, cement, or brick.)
    Life is Good

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co
    I've used an 18V dewalt cordless hammer drill, and I've used the hand turned, hammer driven old school drills aswell (5 holes Vs 3 holes). I feel confident in saying the dewalt was faster even though I drilled more holes and deeper at that(7.5" deep 3/8 wide). It was like a hot knife in butter in comparison. Make sure you comply with local regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Is a climbing power drill the same as a regular old hardware store power drill? Is there a preferred brand? Thanks in advance.

Here's a "proper" climbing drill...ha ha...

Name:  blogbosch..jpg
Views: 7052
Size:  552.2 KB

Some interesting discussion on it here:

http://www.joekindkid.com/?p=3448

Yeah, there's a wide range of stuff that "might" work ok. Rotary impact hammer seems to be the type of machine to look for. Some times "hammer drills" aren't the ticket.

Makita, DeWalt both make drills for drilling holes in concrete. For rock climbing, no question, the Hilti and Bosch 24 and 36V drills are what folks prefer to use.

Some popular models: Bosch Bulldog (first power drill used for rock climbing in the U.S.), Bosch Annhilator. Hilti TE-10A, 5A, 6A.

The lithium battery models are now the most popular and what folks seem to be heading towards. Battery life on the other drills is not great, and, the batteries are very expensive.

I have, ahem, a number of power drills I use for rock. My best drill used to be my Hilti 6A, but, I'm down to one crappy battery now and it's mostly collecting dust. Been using a Bosch Annihilator a bunch. Just picked up the "Joe Kinder" model pictured above, but, haven't used it yet. Tried a friends and its flat out the best drill I've ever pulled the trigger on. Also have a gas powered Ryobi that doesn't see much use but I hang onto.

Euro's use gas powered drills in wet canyons as they seem to run fine after being dunked.

Anyhoo, for soft rock, folks get away with all sorts of things. Everyone I know that drills a ton in rock owns either a Hilti or a Bosch. The new Hilti lithium ain't cheap. The new Bosch lithium's (full size and compact models) are pretty reasonably priced, work very well, light, batteries are reasonable...and no question it'll be the new standard. Can't wait to use it...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Ain't nothing cheep about a Hilti anything. And btw, that photo of Joey Kinder doesn't instill a great deal of confidence in me for that product. You can't look like you are about to giggle like a school girl and sell power tools. That ain't right.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ain't nothing cheep about a Hilti anything. And btw, that photo of Joey Kinder doesn't instill a great deal of confidence in me for that product. You can't look like you are about to giggle like a school girl and sell power tools. That ain't right.
    Guess they're appealing to a niche market...ha ha. Salesman told me 9 out of 10 drills sold mention that ad, so...

If that thing also vibrates I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Wow. And my new favorite avatar.

Name:  170686788445297fb0&#101.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  9.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post

and i'll bet the drill does too.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

and it might even come with a drill.

nm