Thread: Challenge Buttress - Chambered Nautilus & Hollow Man

Challenge Buttress - Chambered Nautilus & Hollow Man

Climbing in Big Cottonwood Canyon with pics

http://www.examiner.com/x-35952-Salt...lenge-Buttress

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Where are the pix?

Nice. When were you up there?

Its been a tad crowded lately, but, deservedly so.

Not sure if the additional exposure in the media will make that any worse...ha ha.

Challenge Buttress continues to be a work in progress for new routes.
    Curious about the above statement. Based on what?

I think folks (myself included...) have really combed over that area for newer stuff. Did you see folks working on new routes?

RIP Shane. He used to maintain those routes (loose rock, etc). He's missed for sure. Been nearly 10 years since he's passed?

I was up there at the end of last summer. The weather was just perfect.

As for the statement on new routes, I read that on the Internet, I believe it was mountainproject.com.

accadacca...could you not see the pics on the article?

I also just want to make a disclaimer on the articles I write, and they will be on the future articles as well. I received a very horrible statement on one of my articles, and I don't know if it was from someone on bogley.com or the other climbing sites this has been post on. It was stated that someone will die because of these articles. I have never once stated that I was an expert in climbing nor have I stated that someone is "required" to do the things I write in my articles. I only give suggestions, recommendations for equipment and write on my experiences as a climber and the different climbs I've done. I have a lot to learn as a climber and I only ask for suggestions to make my column better. I was asked to write on this topic, because it was something I loved to do not because I'm an expert, because I'm not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that just seemed like a direct attack. If you like the column, that's great. If you don't, then you don't need to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak318 View Post
    As for the statement on new routes, I read that on the Internet, I believe it was mountainproject.com.
    If its on the internets, it must be true...

Thanks. Was curious where you got that thought from. There were folks kinda semi working on a route to the right of Sweet and Low last year, and, it looks like they went back and finished it. Was wondering of any recent activity since I've been up there a bunch in the last week or so and hadn't seen any.

Too much time delay between activity and article! Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfreak318 View Post
    I also just want to make a disclaimer on the articles I write, and they will be on the future articles as well. I received a very horrible statement on one of my articles, and I don't know if it was from someone on bogley.com or the other climbing sites this has been post on. It was stated that someone will die because of these articles. I have never once stated that I was an expert in climbing nor have I stated that someone is "required" to do the things I write in my articles. I only give suggestions, recommendations for equipment and write on my experiences as a climber and the different climbs I've done. I have a lot to learn as a climber and I only ask for suggestions to make my column better. I was asked to write on this topic, because it was something I loved to do not because I'm an expert, because I'm not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but that just seemed like a direct attack. If you like the column, that's great. If you don't, then you don't need to read it.
    Cart before the horse, perhaps. How would one know to not like your column if they didn't read it? Anyhow...

Price of admission on the internets, I suppose. You have a link to the comment? Or, could you post the exact quote? Wasn't me, btw.

You write a column called, "Climbing Tips." I don't think most folks would call it a stretch to assume that the author of such an article would have some expertise on climbing.

Based on the comments directly under your articles, you have, "inspiring" "great" "can't wait to go" type language. What is the purpose of the articles? Wouldn't one think at least someone would be inspired to go and check those places (and techniques) out? And, since you don't get to choose, and, the slant is very much toward beginners, then, you're going to see some unsaavy folks out there as a result? Maybe.

I don't know that you need to dismiss the bad comment outright, but, maybe learn from it (which sounds like you are).

Some cranky folks out there. With, all sorts of different motivations. Some of us are selfish, and, don't like to see the places we enjoy recreating exploited. Others just want to make people suffer. Maybe some are altruistic and purely want to save people from themselves. I dunno.

Helps to have a thick skin and take things in a postive light, if possible.

You're brave to venture onto the Utahclimbers site! Those folks is mean...ha ha. How long before someone suggests an article on Dogwood? Tick tick tick...

All in good fun!

Hope to see you on the crags.

-Brian in SLC

Ya, I've seen that new thing next to sweet and low. There were shiny new hangers going all the way up a couple weeks ago... went back the other day and the first two hangers were gone, bolts still there, just no hangers. Maybe they are still working on it? Anyway, Challenge Buttress is a popular spot, Hollow Man almost always has a group on it, but I help contribute to the popularity. I seem to always end up taking newish climbers there. Fun routes, quite a few bolted, close to the road... great place to start out. Better than Bitter, the bolted route above Winky and Waxman go Bolting is a really great 5.10+ if you go back. It's like Hollow man only longer and harder (that's what she said).

I'll definitely be taking a few trips up to Challenge over the summer :). It's too fun not to.

As for the comment, I had it deleted from the article. It was quite the shocker when I hopped on my publishing tool site and there it was. Today's a new day..onward and upward! ;)