Thread: Snowbird's Expansion Proposal

Snowbird's Expansion Proposal

I had this brought to my attention today:

http://www.sltrib.com/wintersports/ci_15229922

I am very against this. I remember being able to 4x4 all the way to the end of Mineral Basin during the summer. When Snowbird expanded a lift over the mountain into that area, no trespassing signs popped up everywhere denying access into that beautiful bowl. The same thing will happen with an expansion into Mary Ellen Gulch. My buddy and I make a trip or two every summer up to Mary Ellen Gulch. There are some cool mines and turn of the century (or earlier) adobe buildings and cabins up there. I'm certain all that access would be lost. I serve on a committee with Carl at Save Our Canyons and have left a message for him to call me. I don't agree with everything they stand for or do, but their position seems to be the same as mine on this issue.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Delayed reply but figured this was an important issue.

My reply from RME:

This has been in the works for a long, long time. Snowbirds owner made a statement in one of the ski magazines nearly 10 years ago that the would have a lift on Miller Hill in the coming years... guess that time is coming. They have been buying old mine claims for years in the area, they own much of Miller Hill, the Globe, the Live Yankee, etc. Hard to say what it means for canyon in general. They have been very gracious to continue to allow travel on Miller Hill through there private property (though there may be some legal R.O.W. access), I'd like to think they will continue to do so up into Mary Ellen Gulch just not right to their lift?

The fact is, they own the property, not lease, own. They have systematically purchased all the right parcels in order to pull this off. Private property issues like this are a touchy subject, in fact we've lost more access in AF Canyon to private property than we have FS closures (Upper Major Evans, Pitsburg (which is now owned by the FS after some trading of sorts) as well as Mineral Basin).

There is more on this subject including maps here:
    http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...ad.php?t=75678

On a different note. Where are these 'adobe' buildings? Are you referring to the blacksmith shop and related buildings near the portal of the Live Yankee? They are much newer than you are estimating, likely closer to the 1930's when power was brought into the area and the tram was constructed. Still very worth seeing and preserving, just not that old.

One of the the mines in Mary Ellen is still held by a small Utah mining company, they did work up there in the 80's and still have ore stored somewhere ready for processing if/when silver prices bump enough. Its my understanding they were staying in the 'Mary Ellen Hilton' (the old cabin down from the Globe Mine) and they were the last to make repairs there.