Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Fork of North Creek, Zion

Right Fork of North Creek, Zion

I did the Right Fork of North Creek hike recently in Zion Nat park with a couple buddies and man oh man was it awesome. 2 nights and three days in some of THE most beautiful and remote country around. Camping at the Seeps and then in the Grand Alcove in perfect weather made for an awesome trip. There was a lot of bushwhacking, rappelling, and a long slog out but it was all worth it. Route-finding is challenging but once you get in the Right Fork drainage, it's all pretty simple from there. There was a lot of water almost all the way and the Black Pool had quite a bit of water and was very cold as expected. Bugs were kinda bad-I'll be itching for a few days. The many waterfalls were gorgeous and I had a lot of fun taking pictures. As hard as the whole thing was, I'd do it again but maybe not for a year or so. If you love the Zion backcountry, this is a must do adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Great photo's!

Did you guys venture in the slotty section above the Black Pool? Or the walk around trail? I'd imagine in higher flow, that might be "interesting"...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Great photo's!
    x2

We skipped that spot for time considerations but I'd like to do it next time.

Shane, I'm the guy (Ted) that did U-Turn with your family in Moab in April.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    We skipped that spot for time considerations but I'd like to do it next time.

AWESOME photos Ted!
    I did this hike in May of 08 and absolutely rate it as one of my most spectacularly scenic hikes ever!
    I had plans to do it again last year, but my plans were thwarted by an evil knee - :(

Thanks for the nice photos - brings back sweet memories!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Excellent shots! Two weeks and counting for me!

Thanks for sharing!
    "...I edged over the lip of the stone and dropped feet first into the water." - C. Van Tilden

Day-um! Great shots, and nice trip report.
    Blog | FB

Sounds great - excellent stuff! Thanks for posting!

Awesome photos. Some day I'll actually do the right fork. Looks great.

Whoa man... Great pics that looks awesome!

Nice. I love the Right Fork!

Sweet! The Right Fork has been on my list for a while. I've gotta make it down there sometime!

Right Fork

Remoteman, Randi and others that have done Right Fork--how many days did you take to go through it? With an early start, can you get to Barrier Falls on the first day? I'm thinking of doing this Friday/Saturday with a not-so-fast group of four. I appreciate the info--also any tips or beta on routefinding in or out.

Thanks.
    Can you see the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    how many days did you take to go through it?
    When Tom and I did the Hammerhead variation to the Right Fork a few years ago, we left Lava Point near 9am, made some tactical errors routefinding, stayed in the canyon proper, and camped at the Grand Alcove at by 7pm. My notes say we hit Barrier Falls at 10am the following day. Total time on the second day to the car was around 8 hours.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    When Tom and I did the Hammerhead variation to the Right Fork a few years ago, we left Lava Point near 9am, made some tactical errors routefinding, stayed in the canyon proper, and camped at the Grand Alcove at by 7pm. My notes say we hit Barrier Falls at 10am the following day. Total time on the second day to the car was around 8 hours.
    Wow oh wow, super hot out right now. the "backpacking" approach to the Right Fork has a LOT of sun exposure. Brian and I did Hammerhead as a possible first descent, though anchors were darn easy, and as a crack team of two (except for the navigating, by which we were challenged). AND we took the Direct Variation, which adds about an hour to the trip. So, Bill, Mudcat, right now is not a good time to do it. With noobs, you would want to take the backpacking approach, and it is a long, very hot day from West Rim TH to the Alcove (first reliable spring water). Barrier Falls is probably an hour or hour-and-a-half past the Alcove.

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Wow oh wow, super hot out right now. the "backpacking" approach to the Right Fork has a LOT of sun exposure.
    Good point. We did it in late October...

With a butt early start (5am)? Seems like with the hiking in approach, one could make reasonable time?

Hot hot hot.

Speakin' of hot, the photo of that guy in the Alcove in your book, Tom... Note the distinctive white and creamcicle shirt and the lime green Edelrid helmet smartly clipped to the harness (protecting the hip perhaps)? Not downtownmelbrown (who's rumored to be back in the city of salt (anyone?).

Anyhoo...yeah, hot.

-Brian in SLC

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Good point. We did it in late October...

With a butt early start (5am)? Seems like with the hiking in approach, one could make reasonable time?

Hot hot hot.

Speakin' of hot, the photo of that guy in the Alcove in your book, Tom... Note the distinctive white and creamcicle shirt and the lime green Edelrid helmet smartly clipped to the harness (protecting the hip perhaps)? Not downtownmelbrown (who's rumored to be back in the city of salt (anyone?).

Anyhoo...yeah, hot.

-Brian in SLC
    Yeah I know. that's two errors in The Book. Darn!!!

But, ya don't mind being the stunt double for Downtown Mel Brown, do ya?

T

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    But, ya don't mind being the stunt double for Downtown Mel Brown, do ya?
    Hot hot hot.

Ha ha.

If that's an example of the only "error", then, not so bad!

Checked the Lava Point weather station...pretty cool up there in the a.m. Especially compared to the main Zion Canyon.

Hmmm....