Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best time of year to hike Twins Peak from Broad's Fork?

Best time of year to hike Twins Peak from Broad's Fork?

I heard it's best when there's snow up top still, because it's easier to go across the snowfield than to traverse the loose rock. If any of you've been there, I'd like your opinions before I plan my trip.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    I heard it's best when there's snow up top still, because it's easier to go across the snowfield than to traverse the loose rock.
    Hmmm. Depends on your snow skills I suppose. Loose rock might be a pain, but, falling out of control and sliding for life is a bigger issue on the snow.

Some photo's a feller took over Memorial Day weekend:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/nor...oday/106779423

Also, there's a pretty saavy crew on summitpost who seem to frequent that terrain. I've been a few times in the winter skiing and in the summer with no snow, but, not much in between. Got a bunch of snow right now. Be awhile before its not super mushy, methinks.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/r...win-peaks.html

I'd probably not think about venturing into that steeper terrain on snow unless you had an ice tool, maybe crampons, and knew how to self arrest (etc). If there's enough snow to avoid the scree, then there's enough to get very hurt on.

There's a trail which goes up the north side of the S Curves up Big Cottonwood, right across from the parking lot for Mill B South/Broad's Fork. Mill B North I'm guessing. Cuts over to the right after awhile and gains a little summit way above the road. Great views of Twins/Broads Fork from there. Can really see the snowpack.

When is best? Depending on your skill level, its almost all good (avy conditions considered of course).

If you spend much time hiking in the Wasatch, you get sort of used to loose scree anyhow...and I don't recall it being that bad up there. Well, maybe it kinda is. Usually a semi decent trail when the snow goes, IMHO.

I used to climb Twin Peaks every year on the 4th of July.... It's a good time of year as the trail is clear to the meadow and snow covers the rock in the upper basin.... It's a nice summit.

An iceaxe and the knowledge to use it correctly are highly recommended for anyone attempting the summit before the middle of July!

If doing the route in June or earlier I would not go without crampons and iceaxe.

Twin Peaks 11,330'
    AKA: Broads Fork Twin Peaks
    http://climb-utah.com/WM/twin.htm

I have done this hike many times. My favorite time of the year is when there is just enough snow to make the climb easier at top and just enough to safely glisade the snow slopes back down into broads Fork. I would ususally do this hike toward the end of June or early July.This and Lone peak are my favorite hikes in the wasatch.

After reading Hiking the Wasatch by John Veranth which is out of print now - he mentioned a route he called the Robinsons variation. It was a way up the backside or north side of the Twins. That became my favortie way up. It has a little more exposure at the rim but it gets you away from some or the scree and block hopping and views are incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

Thanks. Those are some great tips. I appreciate the pics as well, especially the route with arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by french_de View Post
    After reading Hiking the Wasatch by John Veranth which is out of print now
    A new copy of the book is still available at Amazon for less than $12

Hiking the Wasatch by John Veranth
    http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Wasatch.../dp/0874806283

If you plan to hike at all in the Wasatch you want a copy of this book. It's the bible for Wasatch hikers. Only problem is much of the trailhead information is out of date because of realigned trails and new construction of homes.

Name:  al-hgr071..gif
Views: 1822
Size:  18.3 KB

I'd probably not think about venturing into that steeper terrain on snow unless you had an ice tool, maybe crampons, and knew how to self arrest (etc). If there's enough snow to avoid the scree, then there's enough to get very hurt on.
    I would disagree with the ice tool being needed. I've climbed Twins several times is late spring/early summer and would recommend taking and ice axe and crampons, but I don't think an ice tool would be needed. Even on routes like Tanners and Stairs, I don't think an ice tool would be needed. I've never used one on any of the routes on Twins (Broads Fork, Stairs Gulch, Hounds Tooth Ridge, Tanners Gulch, and Willow Creek). Maybe if it is unusually iced up (but I've never seen it that way), but an ice axe and crampons (and of course the knowlege of how to use it) should be sufficient 99.9%+ of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    A new copy of the book is still available at Amazon for less than $12

Hiking the Wasatch by John Veranth
    http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Wasatch.../dp/0874806283

If you plan to hike at all in the Wasatch you want a copy of this book. It's the bible for Wasatch hikers. Only problem is much of the trailhead information is out of date because of realigned trails and new construction of homes.

Name:  al-hgr071..gif
Views: 1822
Size:  18.3 KB
    Thanks, Ice. I own that book--it's just been a while since I pulled it out and looked up the info for the hike. Last year we went up Broad's, but ended up turning around once we made it to the bowl, due to time constraints. It looked like from there that it wouldn't be all that much longer or harder to make it to the top, but then again, looks can be deceiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    I would disagree with the ice tool being needed.
    "Ice tool" is just semantics. You'd get along just fine with an alpine hammer as an ice axe, most likely. On some alpine routes, instead of an axe, I prefer a hammer as I can whack a pin or picket in with it.

"Ice tool" for me is just a generic term used for any tool you could use on ice and/or snow. Not limited to an axe per se.

My current fav is the BD Venom. Inexpensive, light, nice geometry. Good enough for steeper stuff.

BD's Raven series are nice light "tools" too. Great for snow/neve.

Cheers!

but an ice axe and crampons (and of course the knowlege of how to use it) should be sufficient 99.9%+ of the time.
    So Scott, if I don't currently own an ice axe (and I don't), and I can't afford to buy one prior to the trip, would you say to wait until the snow is gone to make the attempt?

There are also a couple used mountaineering axes for sale on KSL.com for $50.

I believe you can rent both an ice axe and crampons at REI. You might rent the gear and give it a whirl. Spring/early summer mountaineering on top of the consolidated snow can be a lot of fun.

You want the flexible base mountaineering crampons that attach to any shoe. Which is different from the ice climbing crampon that has a solid base.

Name:  Grivel-G12-NewMat&#1.jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  14.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There are also a couple used mountaineering axes for sale on KSL.com for $50.

I believe you can rent both an ice axe and crampons at REI. You might rent the gear and give it a whirl. Spring/early summer mountaineering on top of the consolidated snow can be a lot of fun.

You want the flexible base mountaineering crampons that attach to any shoe. Which is different from the ice climbing crampon that has a solid base.

Name:  Grivel-G12-NewMat&#1.jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  14.2 KB
    Thanks. I'll definitely check into the rentals at REI, provided I can match up schedules with both my son and my brother who want to go along. I have some strap on metal things with teeth, that technically aren't crampons, but I used them going over Gunsight Pass on the way up to King's Peak and they worked quite well there. I wonder if those would work on the Twin Peaks trail. That and I need to watch some youtube vids on how to use an ice axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    That and I need to watch some youtube vids on how to use an ice axe.
    Uhhh, you might want to practise a bunch too...

I find the steep roadcuts at ski areas work well. Make sure you have good runout. Upside down and backwards ought to be automatic after a number of times doing it.

"Slide on snow, unable to self arrest" is probably the number one cause for fatalities in the Tetons, for example.

If you buy a "tool", please, learn how to properly use it. Its a skill every mountaineer should have (and a number don't).

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    "Slide on snow, unable to self arrest" is probably the number one cause for fatalities in the Tetons, for example.
    If my history is correct it's also the number one cause of injuries and death on Timpanogos. Some noob is always getting hurt on the snowfield.

On a side note.... I was about 10 years old the first time I climbed Timpanogos. We came down the snowfield and some guy was hiking up the snowfield with crampons and an ice axe. That was the first time I had ever seen crampons and axe. I was just a little kid but I remember thinking that was about the coolest thing I had ever seen.... a real spiderman... I couldn't wait until I was old enough to get my own crampons and axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Uhhh, you might want to practise a bunch too...

I find the steep roadcuts at ski areas work well. Make sure you have good runout. Upside down and backwards ought to be automatic after a number of times doing it.

If you buy a "tool", please, learn how to properly use it. Its a skill every mountaineer should have (and a number don't).

-Brian in SLC
    I know. I need to do that. That being said, if you've done King's Peak/Gunsight Pass before, how steep is Twins snow that I'd be crossing compared to the Gunsight Pass area--which itself is quite steep.

If my history is correct it's also the number one cause of injuries and death on Timpanogos. Some noob is always getting hurt on the snowfield.
    Heck, I've just slid down that snowfield with nothing but my clothes on--not even worried about stopping because that snowfield's angle smooths out and you slow down rather dramatically. It's those first sixty feet or so that probably freak people out. If they just rode it, they would most likely make it through just fine.

That being said, if you've done King's Peak/Gunsight Pass before, how steep is Twins snow that I'd be crossing compared to the Gunsight Pass area--which itself is quite steep.
    Twins is steeper than Gunsight Pass. If you don't know how to use an ice axe, don't do Twins yet.

Heck, I've just slid down that snowfield with nothing but my clothes on--not even worried about stopping because that snowfield's angle smooths out and you slow down rather dramatically. It's those first sixty feet or so that probably freak people out. If they just rode it, they would most likely make it through just fine.
    It depends on the conditions/season. There isn't always a good runout. Sometimes the steep section ends right in the rocks, not to mention that sometimes there are rocks sticking up in the snowfield itself, even on the steep sections.

Twins is steeper than Gunsight Pass. If you don't know how to use an ice axe, don't do Twins yet.

It depends on the conditions/season. There isn't always a good runout. Sometimes the steep section ends right in the rocks, not to mention that sometimes there are rocks sticking up in the snowfield itself, even on the steep sections.
    I think I'll wait on Twins until the snow is gone this year. Besides, with my recent shoulder surgery, I don't think learning to use an ice axe is in the cards. And I may have to go back in and get scar tissue removed so I may not even end up going, even when the snow is gone.

As for the Timp snowfield--I guess I've never been up there when those situations you've mentioned have occurred. Either there was too much snow for me to make the attempt to the top, or the snow field had melted enough that the steep section was only at the top. I think I've been up all the way and down three times.

FWIW: Timponogos Emergency Response Team (TERT) responds to over 50 calls a year on average. TERT is an all-volunteer group of emergency medical technicians (EMT). They maintain a camp near Emerald Lake on weekends from late June through September....

TERT is why you usually never hear about problems on Timp, they are generally prompt and handle the situation. which is why you seldom hear about Timp rescues. TERT normally uses Life Flight or AirMed for evacuation of the injured.

Little hike last night and got a decent view up Broads Fork of Twin Peaks. Gives an idear on snowpack and conditions up there.

Cheers!

Name:  Twin..jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  54.5 KB

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    I hiked Stom Mountain last Saturday (trip report soon). Snow only in the shade at high elevation below tree line and as the above pic shows snow on the steep parts above tree line. mostly north slopes. looked like western facing ridges were clear.