Thread: Group in BlueJohn's

Group in BlueJohn's

Just a PSA -

We will be taking a group of scouts (16-17 year olds) through Blue John's East Fork and dropping into Horseshoe canyon on Wednesday 6/9/10. We are planning on camping a Granary Springs 2 nights and then on to other activities in the area. We will have a total of 16 people icluding leaders, dads and boys. We'd love to have anybody down there stop by and say hello but don't expect solitude on Wednesday.

-pup

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Are you doing from Granary Springs to Horseshoe TH all in one day? If so, that's a long haul for a large group of scouts.

bluejohn-horseshoe?

a long ways, amen. AND a slog.
    In triple digit temps?
    Not a great idea, and at least 2 months late.
    good luck

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rick t View Post
    a long ways, amen. AND a slog.
    In triple digit temps?
    Not a great idea, and at least 2 months late.
    good luck
    Agree. Asking for it.

If nothing else, at least start down the West Fork, which is shorter than the Granary Springs/Main Fork hike.

Bring a SAT Phone. Unless well-trained, kids do NOT hold up to heat stroke very well. Heck, *I* don't hold up to the kind of heat and long sand slog you are looking at there. how about in November?? The situation could go south quick - there is good heli service out of Moab and Grand junction.

Tom

I would consider hiking the East Fork and going down to the lower fork, explore the lower fork to the big dropoff and then retreat. I've gone down Horseshoe Canyon and I've also retreated at the big dropoff. Retreating is a much better option. There is nothing special about Horseshoe Canyon if your trip is about canyoneering. You miss absolutely nothing with retreating at the big dropoff.

I did this hike in the first of May last year and it was too warm for me. At least if you retreat you will save yourself 7-10 miles of desert sloshing in the KILLER heat.

Thanks for your replies - I shared your concerns about the heat/length as well and we had set up for a retreat up the West Fork after eating lunch at the Horseshoe ledge if we were late or not in top shape at that spot.

We ended up doing the trip as planned. We got an early start (~6:30am) and were through the East Fork and Lower Blue Johns by 12:30. Not bad for our group of 14. The 8 mile slog through Horseshoe was long and hot. We filtered water just above water canyon for those who were low and were out around 7:00. The cooler full of iced G2's was very welcome. I didn't take my camera so I don't have any pics. I've done all of the Blue John forks except the squeeze (I'm too big based on a failed attempt last year) and the East is my favorite. Also, the Great Gallery was spectacular...