Thread: Stump Hollow near Bear Lake

Stump Hollow near Bear Lake

accadacca and I just happened to be at Bear Lake on the same weekend with our families so we decided to hook up and try a new trail.

We were a little bummed at first, the trail had been beaten up by cows and/or other large split hoof mammals... and it was still quite wet with snow spots and mud.

But coming down, we could see the potential. We may try this later again in July/August.

We parked at the turnoff to Beaver Mtn resort, there's a small parking lot just off the highway. You'll cross the highway about 100 feet down and the singletrack begins there. It's not the most well defined singletrack, but there's a "Stump Hollow" sign to confirm you're in the right place. It's also right by the brown "Beaver Mountain" highway sign, shown in the photos above.

We probably made it up @ 3 miles until the mud and snow got too much. The trail is supposed to make it all the way up through the Sinks and near the Limber Pine trailhead at the pass, heading up the canyon.

We hung a left at both forks we encountered. We met some other riders who had went right on the first fork, and were coming down our way as a loop.

Here's the video:

Here's Bruce's gpx file posted on UMB, showing the complete loop.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100749669156101003180.000488672f00456ede90b&ll=41.937786,-111.510715&spn=0.062315,0.154324&t=h&z=13

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

looks like a fun trail. It is good to see that I am not the only one to forget my helmet on a ride.

This trail is awesome in the summer. You will have to give it another shot when things dry out. Too bad it was still a bit slimey, but it definitely should remain on your "hit" list. We usually just climb up to the Sinks and then turn around and do it as an out and back. You can also shuttle it from the Sinks road if you have a high clearance vehicle.

Here is a trail report from a fellow Bogleyite:

http://bicycling.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/532015

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Re: Stump Hollow near Bear Lake

I rode this last year towards the end of the year, loved it! I did have time to go all the way to the top but what I did ride was a blast coming back down.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    You can also shuttle it from the Sinks road if you have a high clearance vehicle.
    We've always done the shuttle from just off the highway near the Limber Pine trailhead and ridden the Sinks Road. I could've helped. It was a pretty slow weekend. I'm not surprised there was still a lot of mud on the north facing slope though.

You can also loop around from Little Bear Hollow, up the Turkey Trail, and down Stump Hollow. It's likewise all double track and kinda boring on the way up but there's only about five paved miles separating the trailheads that way and the shoulders aren't quite so narrow/exposed so it's safer and easier if you lack a shuttle.

That downhill is such a gas. Someday maybe I'll get around to riding it fully suspended.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

I was pleasantly surprised. What a fun little trail! Great piece of single track and so close to Bear Lake. Sweet!

I wish we could have made it to the sinks and I hate how the trail gets chewed up and so bumpy from all the animals. I'll be hitting this trail again. Thanks for the suggestion neilether.

Anybody been up there this year yet? Headed up to Bear Lake this weekend and wouldn't mind giving this another try if the snow is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Anybody been up there this year yet? Headed up to Bear Lake this weekend and wouldn't mind giving this another try if the snow is gone.
    We rode it two weeks ago and it is good to go. There were still a few snow patches, but we could ride up and over them (probably gone by now). The bigger problem is quite a few downed trees near the top. You reach the top in the deep pines and then descend down into Peter's Sink. There was one massive downfall that stopped us about halfway down the descent to Peter's Sink. You would have to go significantly off the trail to get around it. It wasn't worth it to us, so we just turned around and reversed course. Good times though. Some "hoof" damage in some section, but not terrible.

We rode it two weeks ago and it is good to go. There were still a few snow patches, but we could ride up and over them (probably gone by now). The bigger problem is quite a few downed trees near the top. You reach the top in the deep pines and then descend down into Peter's Sink. There was one massive downfall that stopped us about halfway down the descent to Peter's Sink. You would have to go significantly off the trail to get around it. It wasn't worth it to us, so we just turned around and reversed course. Good times though. Some "hoof" damage in some section, but not terrible.
    Cool, thanks. I might be able to get dropped off at the top, I'll be riding it alone.

OK, headed up there for the weekend again, I might give this another shot, or even down Hodges Canyon like Neil suggested. I'll probably be doing it solo.

OK, headed up there for the weekend again, I might give this another shot, or even down Hodges Canyon like Neil suggested. I'll probably be doing it solo.
    A couple of my buddies are riding that trail tomorrow morning. If you want to try to hook up with a group, let me know.

A couple of my buddies are riding that trail tomorrow morning. If you want to try to hook up with a group, let me know.

Hmm, that would be tough but I'd consider it. I was just thinking of getting dropped off at the top above the Sinks. I assume they are starting at the bottom, riding up and back?

It might be Monday or maybe even Saturday night. A huge favor, but could you ask them to map their route and share it when they're done in google maps or something? I'm still a little unfamiliar with it, and going solo it would be awesome to have that on my phone If not I'd most likely be OK.

Hmm, that would be tough but I'd consider it. I was just thinking of getting dropped off at the top above the Sinks. I assume they are starting at the bottom, riding up and back?

It might be Monday or maybe even Saturday night. A huge favor, but could you ask them to map their route and share it when they're done in google maps or something? I'm still a little unfamiliar with it, and going solo it would be awesome to have that on my phone If not I'd most likely be OK.
    Ask and ye shall receive. I have attached two files. Hodges Canyon, and the connection from the Sinks road pullout to the top of Stump Hollow. I don't currently have access to all of my files, but the Stump HOllow proper file can just be downloaded from umb.com. Let me know if you have any questions and if these files will work for you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awesome, thanks