Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zion Narrows conditions in 2 weeks?

Zion Narrows conditions in 2 weeks?

I have a permit for a day hike through the narrows in two weeks.

I have been watching the water and it is still really high. Its still closed.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv...60,00010,72020

Any thoughts on if the water will drop enough in the next two weeks to let me go?

I have done it several times as an overnighter, but this will be the first time as a day trip.

Thanks for your expertise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hike.higher View Post
    I have a permit for a day hike through the narrows in two weeks.

I have been watching the water and it is still really high. Its still closed.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv...60,00010,72020

Any thoughts on if the water will drop enough in the next two weeks to let me go?

I have done it several times as an overnighter, but this will be the first time as a day trip.

Thanks for your expertise.
    It is super hot out now, and it continues to glide downward. Kev has retreated to the Great White North. Both of these are signs that the Narrows will be opening soon!

Tom who has been enjoying canyons in Zion since 1986

I'm in the same boat, really really hoping the water will get lower soon...come on heat!

Arriving on the 17th, really wanting to descend Mystery. Melt, snow, melt!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlizzy View Post
    Arriving on the 17th, really wanting to descend Mystery. Melt, snow, melt!
    Based on the current trajectory of the graph, it looks very hopeful. Hope it works out for you! I'm jealous, if so - really hoped to take my kids through there. Have fun, whatever you do!

Quote Originally Posted by thedesertnomad, elsewhere
    So Kevin, I would like to thank you for leaving our country as the river finally has a chance to calm down so we can get some good canyons in ;) From what I hear, the mighty Virgin tends to wait until you have "left the building" before relaxing for the rest of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia
    It is super hot out now, and it continues to glide downward. Kev has retreated to the Great White North. Both of these are signs that the Narrows will be opening soon!
    Man, I'm gonna get a complex...

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Virgin under 200 csfs. 199 right now. My guess it will open this weekend

Most recent instantaneous value: 133 06-15-2010 23:45 MDT
    It's below 140! Now what is it, a three day average? If it stays this way, it will be open on Saturday!

Lucky dogs, all of ya. Have fun, Sarahlizzy and hike.higher!!!

Blog Entries

Re: Zion Narrows conditions in 2 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000
    It's below 140! Now what is it, a three day average? If it stays this way, it will be open on Saturday!

Lucky dogs, all of ya. Have fun, Sarahlizzy and hike.higher!!!
    Kev, I posted this in the current conditions stickie a few days ago and noticed that Zion is giving "day use permits" (which means from chamberlain ranch) starting on June 27th. So definitely it will be open on the 27th(Sunday)...but given current trends - maybe this weekend? Even so, I would remain cautiously optimistic until the 27th.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I thought it would be open today, but yesterday afternoon it spiked all the way to 143!!! That is sooooo much more dangerous than the 138 that it was for most of the day, lol. I understand they have their rules. It's currently at 131, but all we need is less than 140 for 24 hrs for a bottom up hike (or Imlay & Mystery) and less than 120 for 24 hrs for a full through hike.

Ah - it's only 24 hours? For some reason I had 3 days in my head... Well, that sounds good!

How weird is it that I'm still checking the flow, when my next trip to Utah isn't until September?

I am hoping to get a walk-in Mystery permit for this Saturday, so hopefully now it's under 140 (and looks like staying there?) we should have some good news later today or tomorrow.

If the permits site is still showing Mystery as closed tomorrow, am I to understand that I'd be wasting my time by waiting outside the window overnight to get a permit for Saturday? I can think of much nicer places to spend the night

I'd give the BC desk a call, if I were you, to see whether it's worth it. 435-772-0170. That said, they'll not commit, I'm sure. Give them a hypothetical "If the flow were to remain below 140 for all of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, when is the soonest I could get a permit for Mystery..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    I'd give the BC desk a call, if I were you, to see whether it's worth it. 435-772-0170. That said, they'll not commit, I'm sure. Give them a hypothetical "If the flow were to remain below 140 for all of Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, when is the soonest I could get a permit for Mystery..."
    Will be there tomorrow lunchtime, so I will walk in and have a chat with them, assuming its not already open anyway (I'm one of those strange people who dislikes using phones, other than with friends).

Will be there tomorrow lunchtime, so I will walk in and have a chat with them, assuming its not already open anyway (I'm one of those strange people who dislikes using phones, other than with friends).
    Sweet!

Jealous!

(Yeah, I'm not a big phoner either - my wife gets on my case about it, actually. I totally get that.)

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    134 csfs right now. looks like it has spiked back up a little. was under 130 at one point this day.

The permits site is now showing the narrows as being open.

Blog Entries
    The permits site is now showing the narrows as being open.
    Hmm.. On the slot-canyon permits, it lists the day-use trail opening on the 23rd. I misread initially and thought it was the 27th, but it looks like the 23rd is when permits are being issued.

From the bottom-up, yes its open.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Hmm.. On the slot-canyon permits, it lists the day-use trail opening on the 23rd. I misread initially and thought it was the 27th, but it looks like the 23rd is when permits are being issued.

What it says on the website - don't get too worked up about that. They have a rule, and they are very good at following rules. Under 120 two days in a row - it opens from the top. It has been totally stinkin hot out down here, so it is unlikely to go back up again after going under 120. Any day now.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

And they're also listing walk in permits for Mystery, Englestead, Imlay & Orderville as being available.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    What it says on the website - don't get too worked up about that. They have a rule, and they are very good at following rules. Under 120 two days in a row - it opens from the top. It has been totally stinkin hot out down here, so it is unlikely to go back up again after going under 120. Any day now.
    Yeah, the N/A thing seems not to be taken all that literally - a few hours ago Mystery was "N/A" for the next 7 days. Now they are showing availability for tomorrow (Thursday as I write this).