Thread: High Spur Questions

High Spur Questions

We are likely heading out this weekend, and need to find some "easier" canyons because my wife insists on coming along even though she is pregnant. I have heard High Spur is pretty easy, but am wondering about the "4th" class exit. Normally I wouldnt worry, but with my wife and all...

And what else out there is worth it to check out if we make the drive? Also something easy but entertaining. And I suppose it doesnt have to be in that area. Anything in the roost that is worth while and not too difficult that I can bring the wife along.

Also, if anyone has been out there recently and knows the current conditions, I would appreciate an update.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The 4th class exit to High Spur is a seam one person needs to climb up. After a member of your party is on top everyone else can use a top rope. I believe you told me you had climbed Elephant Butte. EB is more difficult then the seam exit in High Spur. If you can climb EB you can exit High Spur.

After you reach the top of the seam it's a pretty good march back to the trailhead. Typical cross country Roost type slog bring lots of water if its hot.

Big Springs Northwest Fork, West Fork and East Fork are all next door to High Spur and are short and easy.

High Spur is very easy. This time of year it will be a medium-long hike in hot weather. Lots of gravel slogging between the slot sections. There is one mandatory big rappel. The other two rappels are probably mandatory as well if you are pregnant. The last narrows section is awesome, and the big drop isn't too shabby either.

The exit is easy to do. I consider the exit out of Larry to be more difficult. There is only one 10 foot or so cruxy section that could easily be belayed or partner assisted. We spotted a car at the drill hole and it was well worth it if you have two vehicles. We went in April. It was dry with one snow cone near the first drop. I wouldn't expect to encounter any water. Bring lots.

A long drive from anywhere, but that's part of the charm. 4x4 mandatory if I remember right.

What Shane said. We used High Spur as our intro to the Roost canyon last summer with 2 experienced folks & 1 newbie, great canyon. There was at least one down climb that I would consider slightly spicy, depending on your experience & comfort with such things. Anyway, We didn't rope on the exit or even seriously consider it, though it's certainly possible. Beautiful, great canyon, enjoy! And thanks for the beta Shane.

Thanks for the info. What about camping spots? From my reading it looks like there is something decent around the old drill hole, and I have also heard tell of some "motel 6"? Any ideas?

Thanks again
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Motel 6 is Granary Spring (Trailhead for Bluejohn East-West loop). It's a very popular place to camp when visiting the Roost. It's a pretty big area but you will probably end up sharing it.... kinda like the Sandthrax campsite in North Wash. It's pretty much the canyoneers camping spot.

The Drill Hole (along Deadman's Trail) makes a reasonable camp spot but you will probably need 4x4 to reach that point. I have actually seen a passenger car at the trailhead before, but it was a rent-a-racer, so I'm not sure if that really counts.

With a good high clearance 4wd, how long of a drive from the turn off of 24 to the trailhead? 1 hr? 2?

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    With a good high clearance 4wd, how long of a drive from the turn off of 24 to the trailhead? 1 hr? 2?

At least 2 hours, and that's if the road is in good condition and has been recently graded. If the road is really bad and covered with drifts of blow sand it could take 3 hours or more.

High Spur is about as close to the middle of "No Where" as you can possibly get. High Spur sits on the edge of The Maze, and The Maze is considered the most isolated region in the lower 48 states.... beautiful desolation....

High Spur is very remote, use caution when assessing risk and remember that mediocre medical care is at least 5 hours away.

We went in Sept 2007 and found allot of water. The swim was rather cold and very long through the dark chamber.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/PaulFrnSLC/HighSpur#
    Paul French
    pfrench.net

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    High Spur is about as close to the middle of "No Where" as you can possibly get. High Spur sits on the edge of The Maze, and The Maze is considered the most isolated region in the lower 48 states.... beautiful desolation....

High Spur is very remote, use caution when assessing risk and remember that mediocre medical care is at least 5 hours away.
    i am just being pedantic here, but high spur is actually between horse canyon (aka barrier canyon, or vice versa) and millard canyon. north point is what i would consider sitting on the edge of the maze.

that not withstanding high spur is all that iceaxe said. key being very remote, and a long way from help. closest help would be hans flat ranger station. not much in the way of medical but at least they could call you a chop[per.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Photo of the Climb

Can anyone direct me to a photo of the 4th class exit?

Thanks!

Sometimes I amaze myself with what I find on my computer....

Exit to High Spur.

Name:  highspurexit..jpg
Views: 666
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  highspurcrux..jpg
Views: 664
Size:  110.2 KB

Thanks

Thanks Shane - we ended up doing high spur yesterday (Sat., May 7)...lots of fun, no swimmers (though there were a couple pretty cold pools you had to go through), worth the long drive

I have to agree with everyone here that High Spur was pretty easy. I did it in January. There was no water (outside of snow and ice) and it was awesome. Also, the exit was a cakewalk, even for me, and I weigh 250 (or so) pounds, and that's not all muscle, believe me.

The difficulty of canyons often has a lot to do with who you go with and if you are leading or following.... This is particularly true with a canyon like High Spur. Which is why I consider it a good canyon for beginners with competent leadership.