Thread: TR- Canyoneering in Hawaii May 2010

TR- Canyoneering in Hawaii May 2010

The eastern flank of 13,796 foot high Mauna Kea averages about 120 inches of rainfall yearly. Some of this water flows down to the Hamakua Coast thru hundreds of gulches and deep green jungle like canyons cascading over an untold number of waterfalls of varying heights finishing with a final entrance splash into the sea. As one drives the coastal highway north of Hilo you will cross many bridges spanning these deep canyons with the legs of the bridges descending hundreds of feet to the canyon floor. From the tops of these bridges are spectacular views up into these canyons with distant upstream waterfalls beckoning.
    Dropping into these canyons for a canyoneering experience is a challenge. Most of the canyons are flanked by private property. A lot of good entry points on the rim are fenced off. Finding access roads can be tough and exit climb outs are not obvious. Scoping the length of the route from the rim is hard with a rain forest in the way. Some deep canyon waterfalls remain hidden from view regardless of the scoping effort. The very thing that makes these canyons so enticing, water, is a big worry. When it rains the canyon water levels rise significantly. Flooding is a common occurrence and a flashing is a real danger here. Depending on how high up the mountain it has rained, flooding can occur hours after the rain clouds have moved on. Hauling 100 pounds of canyoneering equipment from the mainland has its own challenges. One of my airplane luggage carry-ons on the way back home was a big bag of rope. The scanner dudes took particular interest.\r\n With some perseverance and a lot of luck we found some routes that gave us a lot to play without infringing on property rights or safety issues. It was a challenge and a treat to enter a canyon that we scoped without the benefit of a beta chart in front of us. It was fun evaluating and building waterfall anchors. No bolts here and no signs of other canyoneerers. We felt like we were first descenders. Typical anchors included blocks of volcanic rock and tree trunks. We were in the water most of the way. FiveTen canyoneer boots were exceptional on the wet volcanic rock for the most part. They are absolutely worthless by the way when the volcanic rock was smooth, covered with water and coated with moss. I am new to Hawaii waterfall rappelling and we took it carefully one step at a time. I give special thanks to Dave Black who took the time to point me in the right direction and also instruct me in the ways of carefully playing with big waterfalls. Also, thanks to my canyoneering partners who made the trip enjoyable.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                  
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You'll never go back to southern Utah Navajo sandstone after this trip. Amazing scenery. And next time take me with you damn it!

I'm envious.... but....

That can't be "real" canyoneering..... there are no dead animals floating in the water.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm envious.... but....

That can't be "real" canyoneering..... there are no dead animals floating in the water.....

Yeah, now that you mention it: Where's the bloated maggot-covered deer slowly rotting away in the water as if floats by?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm envious.... but....

Do wild attacking pigs in the jungle count to make this real canyoneering?

Oh and by the way the new 9mm Imlay Canyon rope was great in the water. I swear it didn't absorb any water after some major soaking and I really liked the friction. Thanks Tom for getting that out to me at the last minute.

Im sitting in Maui right now looking off my patio view at the ocean. As some of you know I am suppose to be in Italy right now but it is a very long story. First reccomendation to all you world travelers. DO NOT ever use Priceline to buy tickets, if you have a problem it's a freakin disaster. Oh and also check your passport to make sure it isn't expired. Mine expired 2 months ago. So changed plans the morning we were headed to italy and ended up in Maui. So I brought a rope and a couple of harnesses just in case. Anybody got any beta on a short fun little waterfall rappeling activity my wife and I can hit? Nothing long just something short and fun. View is beautiful right now. I pm'd Doug be he is probably out playing somewhere and I think he was on the big island.

Mark
    Pass the sunscreen please.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Im sitting in Maui right now looking off my patio view at the ocean. As some of you know I am suppose to be in Italy right now but it is a very long story. First reccomendation to all you world travelers. DO NOT ever use Priceline to buy tickets, if you have a problem it's a freakin disaster. Oh and also check your passport to make sure it isn't expired. Mine expired 2 months ago. So changed plans the morning we were headed to italy and ended up in Maui. So I brought a rope and a couple of harnesses just in case. Anybody got any beta on a short fun little waterfall rappeling activity my wife and I can hit? Nothing long just something short and fun. View is beautiful right now. I pm'd Doug be he is probably out playing somewhere and I think he was on the big island.

Mark
    Pass the sunscreen please.
    Beta for Hawaii canyons is very limited - you really are on your own over there. The level of severity is up many notches. But, that makes it so much more fun. When I was researching the islands I came across a couple of names - Makamaka'ole and Puohokamoa on Maui. Maybe this will get you started. Be careful!

Great photos!