Thread: Canyoneering Signals

Canyoneering Signals

People use a variety of whistle and hand signals when canyoneering. It can get confusing when going out with new partners for the first time if you don't take time to clarify what signals will be used.

There are some well-established standards, though I don't think very many people are aware of them. So I created a canyoneering signals sheet that is designed to be laminated and carried to be used as a handy reference.

Enjoy.

http://canyoneering.us/docs/lam_signals.pdf
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks Rich, this could be useful. The only book we've ever used for signals really isn't helping us a lot;

Name:  9780767926812..jpg
Views: 950
Size:  23.1 KB

Don thats the same book i use
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...

I like how it's 3 long blasts for when you are screwed. (Yes, I know this is an established standard, I still think it's funny)

It reminds me of the helpful emergency number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4Xye7AErE

Just remember the new number: "0118 999 881 999 119 7253"
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Quote Originally Posted by Ryebrye View Post
    I like how it's 3 long blasts for when you are screwed. (Yes, I know this is an established standard, I still think it's funny)

It reminds me of the helpful emergency number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4Xye7AErE

Just remember the new number: "0118 999 881 999 119 7253"
    that's why i put 911 on speed dial. it's now *57

and can it really be considered a "well established standard" if not that many people know about it? just thinkin out loud.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    and can it really be considered a "well established standard" if not that many people know about it? just thinkin out loud.
    Poorly worded on my part perhaps, but yes. There are well established standards in the international canyoneering community, among canyon guides and SAR teams, etc. that many recreational canyoneers don't know about, especially canyoneers who are relatively new to the sport. I have also had many experiences with new partners who told me they recognized the signals from their experience as a crane operator, long shoreman, rafting guide, etc. etc.

Does everyone know that 3 (whistle blasts, gun shots, signal fires, etc) is an internationally recognized distress signal? Of course some of you will answer yes, but many people don't know.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

I know we use 3 long air horn blasts in high rise construction sites to evacuate the tower and low rise buildings
    Don`t be afraid your life will end be afraid it will never begin fear is the thief of all dreams...