Thread: Reality Check in Grand Wash

Reality Check in Grand Wash

Friday afternoon I was hiking Grand Wash from the bottom up with some family, we were just a bend or two away from the choke point and my 3yo really started to meander around the wash. We gave him 2 or 3 minutes to get it out of this system before my sister, 6yo son, and I started hiking again. We were just a few dozen paces up the canyon when we heard a series of intense cracks, I immediately scanned the skyline around us and saw a huge slab of rock just up canyon hit the wall about 150'+ above the floor and break up into 500 pieces. A cluster bomb of sandstone rocks ranging from baseball to basketball size pounded the canyon floor a little over a hundred feet away. After we gathered our thoughts and waited for the dust to settle we hiked up to view the aftermath. A 75' section of the canyon floor was pelted with little craters each with a small pile of sand in the center. Had we been just 60 seconds further up the canyon I have a hard time believing we would have survived.
    I did manage to squeeze off a few shots of the dust after the initial impact but I was using my 11mm and did some back pedaling so it seems further away then it really was.

anyways..... damn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, glad you're all alright. Must've got the heart rate up!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Damn is right!

Praise to your 3 year old! Seems that his meandering prevented disaster

wow! that is insane. Very very lucky.... here's to stopping to smell the roses, 3 year old style!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Lucky x2; lucky to have the opportunity see it happen and lucky to not be under it.

Wow, dood. Glad you were down the trail. Hell.

Holy Schnikkees! I once saw a guy fall off a cliff on Angles Landing...scared the pooo out of me.

That picture totally brought back to same stress responses. I'm sweating a little bit right now, I'm glad no one got hurt!