Thread: Allsop Lake to Dead Horse Lake?

Allsop Lake to Dead Horse Lake?

delete

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here's Shaggy's photo from Allsop, I've got some somewhere that I could post up:

Name:  lk122..jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  54.3 KB

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ke-TR-and-pics

And here's looking further to the left where you're looking at crossing over (I think...)

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...shbone-Loop-TR

That second shot shows almost far enough over but not quite. None of the Allsop TR's I've found quite get it into the frame. The part that is in frame there looks pretty nasty. If anyone happens to have a shot closer to the end of that cliff line I would love to see it!

I did a loop in '07 that involved crossing over that pass. It made for an easy shuttle from the Highline TH to the East Fork Bear River TH. My partner and I took separate routes down the slope to avoid knocking rocks on each other. It's very steep, but doable. Other than a couple of cliffy sections, there were multiple options (at least 2 for sure!) that could be carefully kept to class 3.

Here's a pic from the top of the pass...I know it's not much help for getting an eye of the route, but the slope does ease up a bit just out of the pictures that others have posted here. Everything in the Uintas looks a lot steeper from a distance, but usually ends up quite doable.

In my pic you do see the 2 cliffy sections that must be negotiated, which aren't even this bad a little further north on the ridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jfranchow View Post
    Here's a pic from the top of the pass...I know it's not much help for getting an eye of the route, but the slope does ease up a bit just out of the pictures that others have posted here. Everything in the Uintas looks a lot steeper from a distance, but usually ends up quite doable.

In my pic you do see the 2 cliffy sections that must be negotiated, which aren't even this bad a little further north on the ridge.
    That pic makes it look like you're going up the pass immediately south of Allsop Lake. Am I way off? I'm thinking the ridge that divides Allsop from Dead Horse Lake, directly east. Let me know if I'm just confused, hard to grasp just where the pic is shot from.

From Allsop Lake you want to head almost directly east and then south to avoid teh cliff bands. I crossed this pass several times in 1990 and 1991 and once in 1997, all with a big backpack. It isn't so bad and is probably easier going up the Allsop side if you have a big pack on.

The Allsop-Deadhorse Lake Loop is one of my favorite and the scenery is the best in the Uintas.

Here is a photo of the pass from Joseph Bullough, but I don't know if it will help that much:

Name:  72120..jpg
Views: 3959
Size:  65.1 KB

As you can see from the below webpage, Allsop/Deadhorse Loop is my favorite in the Uintas:

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range...ilderness.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    The Allsop-Deadhorse Lake Loop is one of my favorite and the scenery is the best in the Uintas.
    Thanks for the info! Dead Horse and the West Fork of Black's Fork is definitely near the top of my favorite areas in the Uintas... looking forward to adding Allsop into the loop this July!

The pic was taken from the top of the ridge you are thinking of(between Allsop and Deadhorse). This is the view you get when looking south/southwest towards Yard Peak.

I didn't take too many pics from up there, but thought this one might add some perspective to the route. Sorry for the confusion.

Ditto everything Scott said...looking forward to the TR if you make the trip!