Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gulf Oil Spill - 37 days later

So, I'm no geophysics expert, but why can't they drill another hole that taps the same oil field, siphon it off there and relieve the pressure coming from the original hole? Perhaps then it would be easier to get a cap on the leak.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

in
    Quote Originally Posted by jimflint1 View Post
    So, I'm no geophysics expert, but why can't they drill another hole that taps the same oil field, siphon it off there and relieve the pressure coming from the original hole? Perhaps then it would be easier to get a cap on the leak.
    that was one of the potential solutions. however, the thought was it would have taken too long for it to be practicable when the spill first happened. in good ol hindsight, they should have been doing just that, while they were trying the other ideas that did not work. let's hope the heavy mud being pumped in will work.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Hindsight is always 2020 to bad people cant see that good in the first place..
    "I'm a firm believer that if you play for more than you can afford to lose, you will learn the game." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's unfortunate that the loss of human life is not as important as spilled oil.
    Thanks for bringing this up. Really. When it's all said and done, what else matters?
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

That was my point exactly.

Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Obama wants them to make the average salary, but take on all of the liability.

says who?

Obama.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n4776398.shtml
    $500,000 is not an average salary. Plus that was only for companies that were bailed out with tax dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by bbennett View Post
    I work pretty close to the accident site for the Deepwater Horizon (about 15 miles away). I think I saw some of the worst areas for oil concentration on the water. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. There are a lot of sheens here and there but I was expecting to see endless miles of black upon black. There are areas that are obviously worse that others, but still, not as bad as I was expecting it to be.
    I saw one sheen as it was coming into contact with land (an area known as South Pass at the mouth of the Mississippi River). There was me at around 3,000' and two low level Coast Guard planes circling and dropping dispersant, but no booms in the water or even personnel at the location itself. I got the impression that either people aren't taking it that seriously or maybe it wasn't as bad as they have been saying it is.
    Did you know that at the very moment of the explosion, they were having a party on the rig to celebrate 7 years free of accidents? Ironic, huh? Shit happens. Really bad shit happens sometimes. This is the cost of our comforts. I love a steak but I don’t want to see them kill the cow.
    I hope that they get the well killed very soon and the environmental impact is as small as possible. If BP cut corners, I hope that it is proven and the are held accountable. I hope that they can come up with some significant improvements toward safety and disaster prevention. Aside from that, what can we do but watch the cow die?
    Part of the problem with this leak is that much of the oil is not coming to the surface due to the deep well depths and the use of dispersants so from the air you may not see as much impact. However, the plume is still there and is hitting the major ocean current heading toward Florida. I wonder if it will dilute as it moves that way. It may not since its still being fed by the well. This is much more oil already than the Exxon Valdez. I am concerned for the fact that this could have a major impact on sealife and fisheries which people depend on for livelihood and food.

The safety party that was going on on the rig was by the owner of the drill platform Transocean. It was BP contracting Transocean and telling them to cut corners to finish the well that led to this disaster. A major argument was going on aboard the rig between the two companies about how to finish the well. BP has a deplorable safety record over the last several years including a refinery explosion in 2005 which killed 15 workers.

I am concerned about this spill due to the fact that we do need oil in modern society and we depend on oil companies to collect oil in a safe and sustainable manner. BP had a responsibility to take every measure possible to prevent something like this and they failed. The consequences are in human lives and livelihoods, an ecosystem, and possibly our trust in oil companies to do the right thing for the environment which affects us all.

Does drawing with England in the World Cup count as America's move?

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Does drawing with England in the World Cup count as America's move?
    it could have been, until England had a draw with Algeria. Imagine that, England not as good at football as they think they are.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    it could have been, until England had a draw with Algeria. Imagine that, England not as good at football that they think they are.
    The man thong is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    England not as good at football that they think they are.
    OK.... let's get something straight here.... "Football" is a viscous game played by the best athletes in the US of A. Soccer is a game played by guys in the US who are 5'9" with a little speed that have names like Nicholas and Jonathan.

Association football is a sport where the ball is advanced with the feet. Pointball AKA gridiron football is a sport where the ball is advanced by a throw or carry and run. Feet are only used in pointball for change of possession, extra point, and to finish off a game winning drive by a player not consider part of the team except when he drills the game winner and he grew up playing association football.

Now for gridiron being “viscous” game; it’s a contact sport that has pads, cups, and helmets. Rugby code football is a contact sport that has none of that. And in Rugby after a tackle the next play starts immediately, not 30, 45, or 60 seconds after. Rugby football is much more hardcore and viscous. If the greatest athletes in this country play gridiron then the greatest athletes in the world are from New Zealand since they have the best rugby players.

Football is a gentleman’s sport played by hooligans. Rugby is a hooligans’ sport played by gentlemen.

This is my only complaint about gridiron. The 40 times, are fake, false, padded, and not real. The NFL is full of athletes who have an “official” 40 yard time faster than Usain Bolt. There is no one in the NFL that can beat Usain Bolt in a 40. The fastest current NFL runner, Chris Johnson, is a former athletics (known as track & field in the states) sprinter. While good he was not near the best in the USA let alone the world.

Hmmmm.... obviously you don't understand 40-yard dash times.... In football the clock is started at the first sign of movement.... in track the runner responds to the sound... so.... it's very possible that a football players official 40 time is faster then a timed 40 in track.... even though the track guy ran it faster..... apples and oranges...

Second question.... why is Usain Bolt even in this conversation.... he doesn't play soccer or football last time I checked? But a lot of track guys do head to football to make money.... including several men who have held the title "world's fastest human".... I believe Bullet Bob Hayes was the first to make the jump...

But this is getting us know where so please let me rephrase my original statement to..... any game that ends in a tie is candyass.....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Hmmmm.... obviously you don't understand 40-yard dash times.... In football the clock is started at the first sign of movement.... in track the runner responds to the sound... so.... it's very possible that a football players official 40 time is faster then a timed 40 in track.... even though the track guy ran it faster..... apples and oranges...
    you left out the clock stops when the first body part (usually the hand) crosses the line in the 40. track it's the torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I believe Bullet Bob Hayes was the first to make the jump...
    nope the AP "greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century" was a track star, football star, baseball star, basketball star, . . . .

It's easy if you think of football 40 times like this..... I don't have to run faster than the lion..... I just have to run faster than you...