Thread: Echo Canyon Fortifications (along I-80)

Echo Canyon Fortifications (along I-80)

Just wondering, has anyone hiked up to the fortifications & breastworks that the Mormons built along the cliffs in Echo Canyon back in the 1800's to keep Johnson's Army out? I'm intrigued and wondering if they're still there and what they look like.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I believe there's still some in place. On the way back from ice fishing at the Gorge, I stopped at the rest stop in Echo Canyon, and the visitors center displays inside indicated where to see them from.... I forget which mile markers it was. I'd be very interested to see pics if you make the trip up there.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsco View Post
    I believe there's still some in place. On the way back from ice fishing at the Gorge, I stopped at the rest stop in Echo Canyon, and the visitors center displays inside indicated where to see them from.... I forget which mile markers it was. I'd be very interested to see pics if you make the trip up there.
    +1
    I'd like to see pics too.

I have some good news and some bad news.....

First the good news.... many of the original 14 fortifications in Echo canyon are still in place and I now have the complete beta, maps, pictures, GPS waypoints, location and history of each fortification.....

Now the bad news.... the beta is buried in 350 pages of historical documents that I picked up tonight so it might take me a month or so to dig it all out. I plan on visiting the fortifications once I read through and understand what is buried in the 350 pages of documents.

I'll let you know what I find.... maybe we can do a Bogley trip if anyone is interested.....

Interesting stuff.

Might need to take a drive, yeah....

I'm told 4 of the fortifications are visiable from the highway if you know where to look.

I would be game for a little trip, for sure!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, as vital to our lives and water and good bread
    - Edward Abbey

I want to check them out. Unfortunately, I'm living out of state. I'll be looking for a TR & Pictures. GPS coordinates would be quite excellent as well. I think the fortifications will be my next hike when I'm in town.-

The info on the Echo Canyon fortifications can be found in two books. The books are $15 each and you can get them by emailing the author: john@trailbuff.com

Utah War
    By John Eldredge

Illustrated Emigrants’ Guide to the Historic Sites along the Hastings/Mormon Trail
    by John Eldredge

I've thumbed through both books and I'm about 1/2 way through reading the Utah War book. So far the money on the books has been well spent but I'm also kind of a history buff.

Name:  Emigrants%20Guide.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  191.9 KB

Anybody checked them out yet? My brother's getting married in 2 weeks, so I'll be in town from Colorado and want to go check them out.