Thread: Pine Creek Bogley Family Fest 5/21

Pine Creek Bogley Family Fest 5/21

On Saturday Kev and his kids (Perrin and Willow) and Robin, Aaron and I planned to do Pine Creek. The other adults at the fest were doing hikes with their younger kids and I think Randi and crew were taking Randi's daughter and friend (young adults, not kids) to Keyhole.

Just as we were about to leave Kev told me that someone had just swung through the campground looking for the Bogley Fest and asking what was going on. Erik had never done a technical (or even non-technical) canyon before but had lots of trad climbing and rope skills. We sent him off to ZAC for a wetsuit and adding a 7th to our group.

Here's Erik and Willow on the 1st rap and then helping Willow on the first swim:

Robin detaching in the pool and Perrin making the swim:

Here's Aaron on the second rap (I think):

Erik and Willow wait for the next rap:

The cathedral pool was quite full. It was a swimming release and almost knee deep in the shallowest part. We had Erik helping at the rap above Cathedral, Kev at Cathedral and me doing fireman's below. That didn't leave much opportunity for photos but I snapped a couple after Erik got down:

We were all pretty cold after that and kind of rushed through the final swims and down climbs out to warm up in the sun.

Here's some shots of the 4th rap:

During this time the wind really started to whip up. It got so bad just as we reached the area next to the last rap that we were being sand blasted. I had sand in my eyes for 2 days after that! We guided all the kids up the slick rock and hunkered down in the grove that leads to the rap platform waiting our turns. Partly for expedience and partly for safety Kev decided to lower Perrin and Willow. Then Perrin had trouble unclipping and we had to re-rig so that Erik could go down and help him. Sand had really stuck the lock on his biner so it was not his fault that he couldn't easily unclip.

Willow lowered smoothly and Kev asked Aaron and Robin if they wanted to be lowered. "No I want to rappel it", they both said. No problems with them.

I was 2nd to last so I only got a shot of Kev coming down and then a few of folks relaxing in the grotto:

The kids were super fast on the scramble through the boulders on the hike down and that gave them time to swim in some pools:

All in all an outstanding day out. Thanks a million to Kev and Erik for all their help and patience with the kids. I know it's a day they won't forget!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, I'll bet the kids loved that. Thanks for the report.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the invite, this was a great group and I had an amazing time. Can't wait to go again!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Wow, I'll bet the kids loved that. Thanks for the report.
    Ditto! You got some great shots Paul, and it looks like the kids (and adults) had a super fun time!
    Actually, the girls and I did Observation Point from the top down on Sat. We didn't do Keyhole until Sunday before heading home...
    wish we would have had more time to hang out with everyone. Next time!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

Very Nice!!!!

Is it me or do others of you skip that first rap (pictured) by jumping? (after letting one person down to check the depth....OF COURSE)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    wish we would have had more time to hang out with everyone. Next time!
    Definitely need to hook up for a hike or canyon next time. Aaron was pretty fixated on canyoneering this trip and I was more than happy to oblige that fixation
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I love Pine Creek. Need to do that one again!

Pine Creek

Wow, I was in Zion. Wish this would have been announced.
    S Guye
    Broadcast Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by sguye View Post
    Wow, I was in Zion. Wish this would have been announced.

It was only posted for 6 month's: http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?37483

Hey Steve.... happy to see you up and out again, and welcome to Bogley.....