Thread: Heaps

Heaps

I was wondering if anyone has been through Heaps recently and can comment on what the current conditions of the canyon/potholes is?

Thank You

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It was flowing not too long ago. I would venture a guess that it is chock full and friggin cold. Don't know anyone who has acutally gone yet though.

I demand a trip report if you go... Dang, I love that canyon. There is just no canyon that builds and builds in intensity like Heaps.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I demand a trip report if you go... Dang, I love that canyon. There is just no canyon that builds and builds in intensity like Heaps.
    I'm there on the 18th of June. I'll post a TR, but I hope someone else does first.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

I overheard a party that went through last week. I can't remember all they said but they said that it was flowing a bit and there was no keeper potholes. They also came out one day late, making it a three day trip. Sorry I didn't pay more attention. I think they left a TR at the BC desk when they left.

Three days??? Yikes.
    Life is Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Three days??? Yikes.
    I agree. Too long for Heaps... even two days is pushing it for me. Although, rapping in at the last around 9am makes for some really good pics.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveassmother View Post
    I overheard a party that went through last week. I can't remember all they said but they said that it was flowing a bit and there was no keeper potholes. They also came out one day late, making it a three day trip. Sorry I didn't pay more attention. I think they left a TR at the BC desk when they left.
    third hand report was that they encountered a lot of Ice on potholes. Hard to say what " a lot " meant to these folks.

T

Hey, if you're looking for a couple strong canyoneers to Join your party i think Ryan and I would be up for it. I love heaps. I pretty much got the all clear from the doc regarding my broken leg :)

Did Heaps the other day. The water is flowing, all the potholes are full, and no "escaping" is necessary. They all can be climbed out of with no assistance. No ice or snow to speak of. Did it in one day via Lava Point/West Rim Trail/Phantom Valley. All of the trails are in good conditon.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    trailhead & road open at Lava Point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Did Heaps the other day. The water is flowing, all the potholes are full, and no "escaping" is necessary. They all can be climbed out of with no assistance. No ice or snow to speak of. Did it in one day via Lava Point/West Rim Trail/Phantom Valley. All of the trails are in good conditon.
    Thanks for the update!
    Life is Good

Trackrunner--
    The Zion BC desk told us that the road and trail were open. When we got up to the turnoff for Lava Pt, the gate was closed with a "road closed" sign. The gate was not padlocked so.... The "closed" road is snow-free and clear of debris and not muddy. Forest service put a sticker on the window of the vehicle that was parked there saying that the road was closed and we were not supposed to park there, but no ticket or fine. So it appears to be officially closed at this time, but it is drive-able, and accessible.

Trackrunner--
    The Zion BC desk told us that the road and trail were open. When we got up to the turnoff for Lava Pt, the gate was closed with a "road closed" sign. The gate was not padlocked so.... The "closed" road is snow-free and clear of debris and not muddy. Forest service put a sticker on the window of the vehicle that was parked there saying that the road was closed and we were not supposed to park there, but no ticket or fine. So it appears to be officially closed at this time, but it is drive-able, and accessible.
    Sorry for the extended interrogation...

There's two roads up there, and inquiring minds would like to know...

From the main road to Lava Point viewpoint and campground? Driveable? Open? Gated? Where Gated?

From the Lava Point intersection (and ranger cabin) through the woods to the West Rim Trailhead - Driveable? Open? Gated but not locked?

Thanks.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Sorry for the extended interrogation...

There's two roads up there, and inquiring minds would like to know...

From the main road to Lava Point viewpoint and campground? Driveable? Open? Gated? Where Gated?

From the Lava Point intersection (and ranger cabin) through the woods to the West Rim Trailhead - Driveable? Open? Gated but not locked?

Thanks.

Tom
    From the paved main road (Kolob Terrance Road) to the viewpoint/campground: not sure, we didn't go that way if I recall correctly. (That road dead-ends at the campground, right?) From the Lava Pt Intersection/ranger cabin, that is where the gate was closed with a "road closed" sign, but not locked. The drive "through the woods" to the west rim trail was driveable and in pretty good shape.

From the paved main road (Kolob Terrance Road) to the viewpoint/campground: not sure, we didn't go that way if I recall correctly. (That road dead-ends at the campground, right?) From the Lava Pt Intersection/ranger cabin, that is where the gate was closed with a "road closed" sign, but not locked. The drive "through the woods" to the west rim trail was driveable and in pretty good shape.
    Thanks for the clarification.

T