Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmetless in Pine Creek - did we miss the memo?

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    I feel that the chances of getting a head injury are probably less than getting a head injury while driving a car to work,
    Don't tell me I'm the only one that wears my canyoneering helmet while driving...
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have to chime in: I was in the vicinity of the 2nd rap in Pine Creek one time, when I was hit squarely on the top of my helmeted head by a rock. Small enough to not injure me but it would have been serious 1-lump-or-2 time if I hadn't my helmet on. Isn't there a trail of some type immediately above the initial Pine Creek narrows, with trailhead parking like 100 yards away? I feel like I've heard people up above me there several times when I've been in Pine Creek.

Jeez, plz wear yr helmet if yr w/ me thx.

Quote Originally Posted by buck la rock View Post
    I have to chime in: I was in the vicinity of the 2nd rap in Pine Creek one time, when I was hit squarely on the top of my helmeted head by a rock. Small enough to not injure me but it would have been serious 1-lump-or-2 time if I hadn't my helmet on. Isn't there a trail of some type immediately above the initial Pine Creek narrows, with trailhead parking like 100 yards away? I feel like I've heard people up above me there several times when I've been in Pine Creek.

Jeez, plz wear yr helmet if yr w/ me thx.
    Canyon Overlook Trail, runs above and alongside Pine Creek. Fairly easy, short and popular. A rock from up there would land in the canyon.

I was in Pine Creek once and a boyscout troop started rolling large rocks and logs into the canyon from above us.... Many of the rocks were large enough that I don't think a helmet would have saved us..... it scared the snot out of me....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I was in Pine Creek once and a boyscout troop started rolling large rocks and logs into the canyon from above us.... Many of the rocks were large enough that I don't think a helmet would have saved us..... it scared the snot out of me....
    Makes me wonder how I made it through my time in the scouts without accidentally killing someone or myself, or at least blowing off a couple fingers...

Pine Creek is definitely an awesome canyoneering trip. I must admit I did it without a helmet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    Solution to the clash. Now, for a yellow harness and wetsuit. Bumblebee look almost complete...
    The NRS drysuit I have is black and yellow. You should get one to coordinate with your outfit.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

I've have had hit my head in the canynos many times, and now I don't think to good..

Quote Originally Posted by The European Death Knot View Post
    I've have had hit my head in the canynos many times, and now I don't think to good..
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

aring a helmet? Mine broke. And I have procrastinated getting a new one. Early on, I used a helmet a lot. Then, on my most recent trip to Pine Creek, after loading up the gear into the back of the Grand Cherokee, I pulled out of the switchback parking area and heard and felt a 'crunching' sound. The helmet hadn't got stowed away, but had now become garbage. I ran over the thing! It didn't stand the weight of a Jeep. Every time I pack gear for the next trip, I think, "Dang, I need to replace that helmet. Ok, I will after I get back from this trip." But I haven't yet.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow