Thread: San Rafael Swell noob

San Rafael Swell noob

Can anyone help me? I plan on heading to SAN RAFAEL SWELL on friday to go backpacking.. cant get there til late (like midnight). going to try to find a random spot to camp near goblin valley and wake early on saturday. I want to find a route like little wild horse canyon and weave in and out towards crack canyon and wildhorse creek and all that is between kinda like this ~~~. hoping that all these canyons connect without me having to go in and back out the way i go in to get to the next canyon> the thing is, My dad is driving us down then doing his own thing so he is leaving me til monday -to pick us up (so no vehicle). so I need any info from people that know the area Im talking about (Bell Canyon,Muddy Creek,Ding and Dang, all that area) maybe someone could answer me about if there are back ways out that connect each canyon. also, are there good spots to camp in any of these areas? above flash flood levels? I heard I dont need a permit? any extra details you could come up is greatly appreciated.. jjackman27 at yahoo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have day hiked all the canyons you listed each more than a few times. There is a 4x4/ATV track that runs all the way from Chute Canyon to Hidden Splendor along the back (north) side of the reef. The main concern I would have with the zig zag route you described is drinking water.. not much be found out there. The grand gorge of the muddy would make for the best backpacking out of any of the canyons you mentioned but unnless you are some super ultra lightest I dont think you could hike what you just described in thee days.. or at least I couldn't.

You got me thinking so I made a really crude map and added in Ramp and Cistern canyons ... 50-60 miles and not much water.

To me it doesn't sound like a good backpacking trip for two reasons.

#1, there isn't much water available and it will likely be pretty hot this weekend.

#2, all those areas can easily be reached by dayhiking (just not all together).

Getting a pack through Little Wildhorse is possible, but don't pack too heavy.

Something like the Muddy Creek Gorge or Chimney Canyon would be better backpacking. Or to the east, the Robbers Roost area has good backpacking as well. No permits are required anywhere in the Swell.

Thanks for the comments. I'm set on going to the muddy gorge and up past the airfield. is there any cool side paths you can speak on? also, any petroglyphs you can describe location? I kinda want to just drive myself in by the airstrip, make camp, head south and explore then head back to camp and head north from there. what do you think? much appreciation for your thoughts.. respectfully - Jeff J (4K)

Lots of things to do around the air strip.
    To your north you have Chimney Canyon and Chute - http://climb-utah.com/SRS/thechute.htm

To your south you have the the old hidden Splendor mine and the Grand Gorge - http://climb-utah.com/SRS/mcgorge.htm

You could also do an out and back day hike to the top of the reef via the knotted the rope crack, awesome views up there maybe the best in the swell.

Nice shot.. Is that you? I saw some picks last night by summit 44 in flikr.. is that you? sweeeet pictures