Thread: Davis Canyon & Dry Fork of Lavender Canyon

Davis Canyon & Dry Fork of Lavender Canyon

Since our original plans for the weekend were to go rafting near Glenwood Springs on Sunday, I ended up heading to Davis Canyon on Saturday to do some hiking and exploring. Unfortunately, because of the wind, our rafting trip on Sunday never happened :(

After driving up Davis Canyon to the Canyonlands National Park boundary, I parked my Jeep and hiked in. My first destination would be the Five Faces Pictographs. These pictographs are in amazing condition.

All five faces.

Below the pictographs on two sandstone slabs were ten large depressions.

After leaving the Five Faces, I backtracked a little ways down the canyon to check out this small, but well-preserved granary.

Next I headed back up the canyon for a ways to find two arches. First up was Pinyon Pine Arch.

Followed by Junction Arch.

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

After finding the arches, I made my way back down Davis Canyon, watching for more ruins along the way. I found a bunch of ruins, but most were not well preserved. Back near the park boundary, there was another granary in an alcove.

Headed back down Davis Canyon.

I stopped a little ways outside of the park to search for some more ruins, and found another nice granary.

After searching the area for more ruins, I headed to the Dry Fork of Lavender Canyon to find a few more arches. First I came across Beam Arch.

Headed up the Dry Fork.
    Randy Langstraat

Then I came across Garage Bridge.

Shortly after Garage Bridge, the road ended. From there I hiked another quarter mile to the Culebra Double Arches.

The smaller of the two arches.

On my way back out of Dry Fork, I spotted the last set of double arches that I missed on the way in; Dry Fork Double Arches. These were difficult to photograph as the sun was right above them, these would be better photographed in the morning, but I did what I could ;)

Headed back out of the Dry Fork of Lavender Canyon.

After heading back out of Lavender Canyon, I made my way to Monticello for some dinner and then headed home. It was a fun day, but pretty windy all day.
    Randy Langstraat

Dang, sorry you were unable to find Granary Arch (the arch/ruin). I was hoping that you would find it. Looks like you still had a great time though and got some nice photos.

The arch isn't an exposed climb to get to, but you have to be right there to see it. When I took Chris Hood there, we had to look for it again before finding it.

Anyway, for those interested, here is Granary Arch in Davis Canyon, though it's kind of hard to get a good angle photograph:

Name:  249040..jpg
Views: 3592
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  249038..jpg
Views: 3631
Size:  115.5 KB

Name:  249048..JPG
Views: 4361
Size:  96.9 KB

Here are a few other shots of the Five Faces:

Name:  249051..JPG
Views: 3545
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  249037..jpg
Views: 3651
Size:  55.2 KB

if you hike from your car up davis canyon along the base of the wall on your right (looking up canyon), all the way to five faces, you can find lots of rockart as well.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

A couple of my favorite canyons. Thanks for sharing the pics.
    The gostak distims the doshes.

Nice TR. Gotta get out to this area next time I'm down near the Needles.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I'm thinking of doing Davis & Lavender Canyons in the next few days with the family. I know where the trailheads are but that's about it. I've never really been into this area outside the Canyonlands VC and Newspaper Rock. Anyone have any maps or waypoints they would like to share of the goodies like arches, ruins and Rock Art? Any suggestions, tips or don't miss items? Post here or PM me, thanks.

I'd appreciate any information, as well. We'll be in that area next week and have Davis/Lavender my list.

TIA,Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Randy, I got your PM and responded but I'm not sure it worked. My E-mail is NJedge@aol.com. I appreciate your sending the info.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'm thinking of doing Davis & Lavender Canyons in the next few days with the family. I know where the trailheads are but that's about it. I've never really been into this area outside the Canyonlands VC and Newspaper Rock. Anyone have any maps or waypoints they would like to share of the goodies like arches, ruins and Rock Art? Any suggestions, tips or don't miss items? Post here or PM me, thanks.
    Don't forget to drop by the Needles Outpost for some gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    I'd appreciate any information, as well. We'll be in that area next week and have Davis/Lavender my list.

TIA,Win
    Win,

If you are planning on using your jeep I would recommend Elephant Hill out to the joint trail hike.

Thanks, Mark, I'll take a look at that. We're probably only going to Needles one day, mainly to gas up at the Outpost.

Win

It's been at least 5 years since I was last into the Needles.... so the Outpost gas joke is lost on me.... I don't get it....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's been at least 5 years since I was last into the Needles.... so the Outpost gas joke is lost on me.... I don't get it....
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...edles-District

Thanks for the heads up.... I'm not real good at following rules so I'm sure you have saved me from a confrontation of some type....

...or maybe provided you with an opportunity for a confrontation?

Don't forget your video camera!

Back on topic: can't wait to see the pics from your visit Win. I really want to get into Lavender, Davis and Salt Creek next time I'm down that way.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"