Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your worst "I'll never, ever, EVER do that again" trip?

What was your worst "I'll never, ever, EVER do that again" trip?

You all have probably swapped this story but since I'm new, is that a good enough excuse to rehash stories?

So what hike, trail, mountain, cave, canyon, person or situation do you refuse to repeat and why? This is my worst trip. So far.

My dad invited me on a hike up Lone Peak, with my little sister. It didn't even occur to me that maybe they weren't in shape for such a hike, or that we were hiking on the hottest day of the year, that 104 degrees may wipe us out hiking on a south facing slope, or that my sister was a bigger wuss than I'd ever given her credit for.

By the time we got to the ridge from the Hamengog route, my dad was puking and my sister was crying because she decided, at that moment, that she was deathly afraid of heights. We could see the summit, and my dad wanted to cross even though he was obviously developing altitude and/or heat problems. My sister crawled under a boulder and refused to come out until we were headed down. This is where I should have said, "Nuh-uh, no way." But I wanted to bag the summit too and decided to chance it.

We crossed in mud and snow, and on the way back to my sister's boulder my dad was getting weirder and weirder. He was muttering. He'd forgotten his water. He wouldn't eat any of the salty stuff I was trying to cram down his throat. He was dizzy and tipping to one side. Still puking. We grabbed my sister and started heading down.

I usually jog down trails and these 2 were making me crazy with their snail pace. They kept sitting down and needed help getting up. They kept trying to ditch their backpacks. It was getting later and later and I was getting a bit panicky.

By the time we reached the high Hamengog it was dark. I caught my sister throwing first aid stuff out of her pack into the bushes so I ended up carrying both their packs. I was walking a few dozen feet in front of them then stopping so I could show them the trail with a flashlight, wait for them to catch up, ad nauseum. My dad kept falling over. My sister was bawling. Then my dad started getting paranoid about mountain lions. My sister bawled louder. I gritted my teeth and decided I'd be patient now and beat her up later.

We reached the first Hamengog and parking lot after midnight and I could see someone had pitched a tent in the meadow there. I didn't know my dad had brought a gun. I found out when he saw the glowing eyes of a "damned mountain lion for God's sake!" and started shooting at it. He was yelling about cougar attacks, the dude in his tent was screaming, "Why are you shooting at my dog?!" and my sister was trying to crawl on top of me to hide from the "mountain lion."

I swear I will never, ever, EVER hike with someone who is out of shape again.

The happy ending(s): My sister refuses to hike anywhere for any reason, my dad figured out what his new limits were and because he had double vision at the time, the dog didn't get hit.

Your turn.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When you really get into some deepshit it tends to end up being the kind of story better told around a campfire.
    Give me a couple beers and I could tell stories about Iraq all night.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    None yet. Lord I hope I don't ever have any. Guess I am not adventerous enough.
    Chere'

I have more than one trip-gone-horribly-awry story and all of you seem to have none. Do I just have bad karma?

The only one I can think of wasn't camping, hiking or anything else. It was going to Arkansas for a funeral. The guy I was dating son was killed in a car accident (women, drunk on a cell phone cut the curves in an S corner and hit him head on). It was really sad. He hadn't talked to his son in years; his son was newly married and ready to graduate from college with only one term left to go.

[LEFT][FONT=Verdana]He died in March. We headed out to AR by way of WY and what not. As we were packing my Durango I threw in my two heavy duty sleeping bags. He baulked at me and said
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Chere'

Wow, Chere, that's nutz. Great story.

Story time?
    I have millions, ask my wife!
    However, I gotta get in the right mood to start telling them, and typing them is never as good as telling.

Yeah, I've got a few too. I'll pick one and write it up, though mostly the wife likes to tell them in the guise of "here's another stupid thing my husband did".
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Im the guy in the cut off T-SHIRT showing off my bod and this is my worst trip ever. If only I had been wearing my three wolf moon shirt.

http://trophyroom.com/video/BIkAidNXYP/

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Im the guy in the cut off T-SHIRT showing off my bod and this is my worst trip ever. If only I had been wearing my three wolf moon shirt.

Ohh snap. What happened to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    When you really get into some deepshit it tends to end up being the kind of story better told around a campfire.
    Give me a couple beers and I could tell stories about Iraq all night.
    Cmon Don. Your Englestead trip last year has turned into our favorite quote. "Harbor Freight mother f'ers"
    The man thong is wrong.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...hlight=leopard

Really????
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    Cmon Don. Your Englestead trip last year has turned into our favorite quote. "Harbor Freight mother f'ers"
    Yeah, but it's a story better told with a couple beers and a campfire...

OK, here's a story that has no major bodily harm, but hopefully you will find amusing none the less.

When my wife and I married, back in the Miocene era, we quit our jobs, pooled our meager savings, loaded up our backpacks and set off around the world for about 5 months. One of our longer stops was Nepal where we trekked in the Khumbu for a month. The first part of the trek involved taking a bus to the town of Jiri where the trail to the Everest area starts. We found the bus, which resembled a mini school bus and loaded our packs on the roof. We were the only non-Nepali and only english speakers on this bus. After a couple of hours driving to the outskirts of Kathmandu the bus stops and the driver gets out. We're waiting and waiting. I had learned enough Nepali to speak like some type of demented 5-year-old and I finally ask the folks around me why we are not going to Jiri. They point outside and down into a river bed and I finally see our bus driver down in the river taking a bath.

No worries, he eventually refreshes himself enough and we set off again. The road is very rough and the going is slow. Afternoon turns to evening and to night. It's dusty and hot and humid in that bus. We doze off and finally awake to find the bus not moving. Everyone is getting out and I ask "are we at Jiri"? "No" is the answer and they tell me a different town name. So I ask when how soon we will continue, and the answer is that we are not going to Jiri. But this is the bus to Jiri? Oh, yes it is. But not going? No. Finally I understand the explanation that tomorrow is a big holiday and the bus driver's home is a couple hours walk from this town and he is now going home to visit his family and the bus will not go anywhere until he returns in a couple of days. Ouch.

It's dark and late and we're tired but now we have to figure out where we are going to sleep tonight. Again I ask around in my broken Nepali where I can sleep. Eventually I'm pointed to someone's house (hut with a dirt floor) who will put us up. We're also famished and ask if he can cook/sell us some food. He asks me if we eat meat and I say we do, but then he makes something like Ramen with no meat and we pass out in our sleeping bags.

The next day I start to ask how I might find another bus to get us to Jiri. Everyone says it is very unlikely but that maybe a truck will come by and we can ask them to drive us. We spend the day hanging out down by the river with one eye on the road in case something drives by but it never does. As the day proceeds the family who put us up starts to get ready for the holiday meal. This involves slaughtering a goat which was quite fascinating at first. It got gross when they collected all the blood in a bucket and separated organs like the brains in a bowl. The chickens roaming their home kept grabbing pieces of organs but the mom would snatch it out of the chicken's mouth and throw it back in the bowl.

Dinner time comes around and they graciously invite us to join in the meal. Having said that we do eat meat we can't really refuse. I'm pretty open to eating anything but this goat stew really smelled funky. That smell is really messing with my head and each bite is making me more sick. I try my best to eat it politely but it's just not working.

Soon it's getting dark again, but what do we hear but the sound of a truck engine. We grab our packs and run out to the run. A truck rolls up loaded to the gills with random sacks of food and gear and people are sitting up high on top of it all. Yes, they are going to Jiri and for a small fee we can join them. We pass our packs up top and try to find a place to settle in. It's not easy to be at all comfortable though. You don't want to have to cling tightly for hours on end as the truck sways back and forth over the rough road. As we drive on through the night we keep adding more people and soon folks are clinging all over the truck.

Then the road really deteriorates. Every few miles it would be so rough that the driver needed the passengers to get off and walk along side before it was safe to pile back on. But, then it was a mad scramble to secure a decent spot to sit! Sure enough the spots we had are taken by others and we end up in a more precarious position. I notice though that a group of young women do not get off the truck but instead use these unload/load stops to snatch up more choice sitting for themselves.

So the next stop I decide we can play that game too and we decide to stay on top. This enrages the women. How dare these gringos try to also get choice seating on the truck! They start yelling at me. But back in these days I was an ornery SOB when I wanted to be (OK, maybe a MORE ornery SOB )

We don't budge. They glare at me and curse me but we're not moving. Finally in frustration they punch poor Robin in the arm! After that the other riders made sure everyone got down and I think they took pity us and made sure we didn't get the totally worst spots. Not my finest hour to be sure, but finally well past midnight we roll into Jiri with nothing too bruised except maybe our egos.

The rest of the trip was all on foot until the final flight home from Lukla and went much better!
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Hahaha!

That's a great story and I would have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Ya, I was embarrassed when it was posted originally and didnt say anything till now.

Ya, I was embarrassed when it was posted originally and didnt say anything till now.
    Were you embarrassed about being attacked by the leopard?
    Or embarrassed about taking part in killing the leopard? Just curious!
    I guess you could probably go on that show "I'm lucky to be alive" now! ;)~

PS: Great story Paul!
    If the shoe fits ~ pretend it doesn

whatever
    Chere'

I would have been more embarrassed with the killing part! I just about tear up when I catch a fish that is bleeding and I know I'm going to have to kill it.