Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subway questions

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    First trip was the troop climbed the Middle Teton... and then strung rope down the east face and the entire troop rappeled down to the moraine.
    North Ridge, most likely. Folks who do the SW Coulior (or any route on the Middle) do come down the North Ridge if they have a need to get to the Lower Saddle, rather than a LOOOONG hike down the south fork of Garnet Canyon, to the Meadows, then all the way back up to the saddle.

With scouts? Yikes. Makes me wonder why...not that there's any shortage of neat things to do in the Tetons, but, that's a nutty one.

I know folks who down climb that terrain, sometimes with a short rappel or two. Kinda complicated, kinda not. Might be easier route finding coming down, although the time I climbed up the North Ridge it was fairly straightforward. We only roped one pitch near the top, where we wanted to do the harder, steeper bit (5.6ish). Seems like there's a way to scramble around that section. Very exposed and a fall off rope would be fatal in a bunch of places.

Ahhh, the Middle. Great chunk of terrain. I think I've done 6 different routes on it...certainly a favorite. Really need to do (finish) the Glacier Route. Maybe weekend of 19/20 June? Haven't got a potential "victim" yet...

Pretty amazing what folks do with scouts. Some good, some fairly risky. Some luck, some saavy. Hard to know which.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    North Ridge, most likely.
    NOPE.... not the north ridge.... straight down the east face.... the entire trip was planned around that series of rappels....

Some of the kids sent me some pictures, I'll see if I can dig them up... I know the rappels didn't go smoothly and it was dark when they got all the kids down....

Shane, you should use your supreme admin powers and cut and paste this junk over to the climbing forum...where no one will see it (ha ha).

NOPE.... not the north ridge.... straight down the east face.... the entire trip was planned around that series of rappels....
    Here's a good shot of that side of the Middle scarfed from summit post:

http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...nal/430564.jpg

Doesn't make sense that anyone would rappel the "east face" (really more the NNE face or some such).

There's a bit of a big corner/chimney that goes down just left of the North Ridge, but, I also seem to recall a fair bit of fixed rappel sling-age on the NR as well. My bet is still with the north ridge as really the only reasonable descent option. The "east" face is super steep and exposed. And, goes down much further before you hit walkable terrain. By comparison, the North Ridge is fairly short.

Some photo's of it and a description here:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/wyo...eton/106495203

P girl soloing it. Its steep, but, no where near as steep and exposed as the east face.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC
    (and move this to the climbing forum so we don't pollute the Subway!).

I'm not sure what their exact line was, but I know it was not to the upper saddle. The kids told me from the top striaght down to the moraine.

Actually.... because of this scout leader most the kids in my hood have some pretty impressive skills. The entire troop can blow through a slot like Pine Creek in under 2 hours from TH to TH. Most of the kids have also aquired a real love for canyoneering and mountaineering.

The troop is always doing crap like climbing Lone Peak in a day with a stop at the cabin.... it's just some of the ideas this scout leader comes up with are a little off the deep end for my comfort level.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Shane, you should use your supreme admin powers and cut and paste this junk over to the climbing forum...where no one will see it (ha ha).
    DONE!

I copied the posts... I didn't move them. We'll see how that works out as I've never done it before.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I'm not sure what their exact line was, but I know it was not to the upper saddle. The kids told me from the top striaght down to the moraine.
    It would be very hard to rap from the Middle Teton to the Upper Saddle - since the Upper Saddle is HIGHER than the Middle Teton!

The East Face of the Middle is about 1200 feet down to the Middle Teton Glacier.

So whatever you are smokin' Shane, send some down this way - and keep it away from the KIDS!!!

Tom

Yup... I meant Lower Saddle....

And yes.... I know it's a really long frickin way down. That is why I thought it was an insane adventure for a scout troop. I know they didn't do it all in one shot but staged about half a dozen rappels.

Further discussion on scouts rappelling down Middle Teton should be taken to this thread.
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?39546