Thread: Memorial Weekend Lake Powell - Hiking, Camping, Relaxing, Possible Canyoneering, etc.

Memorial Weekend Lake Powell - Hiking, Camping, Relaxing, Possible Canyoneering, etc.

Cross posting this from the hiking group to the canyon group; as it's likely still involving canyoneering, just likely not as committing. We have a trip of folks going to Powell for the weekend; and have some spots available if you would like to join us...

Details:
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...nyoneering-etc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, looks like great fun! Wish I was around for this, One comment on your times for the slots: I don't think you will need nearly that much time. If you get to the heads of Anasazi and Lehi at dawn, you should get to the lake long before 7:30PM. I don' remember exactly, but we descended Lehi a few years back (from overland) almost to the lake in probably about 5 hours. Of course, exiting and hiking back to camp at the head of the canyon took a few more hours. Another time, some friends and I descended Anasazi to about the high water mark in about 5 hours (it might take a couple more hours to get to the lake at current levels?). It ended up being a long day, reascending our ropes and the slot to get back to camp. But if you have a boat at the bottom, it seems to me that 7 to descent the canyons would be conservative.

Nat

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Wow, looks like great fun! Wish I was around for this, One comment on your times for the slots: I don't think you will need nearly that much time. If you get to the heads of Anasazi and Lehi at dawn, you should get to the lake long before 7:30PM. I don' remember exactly, but we descended Lehi a few years back (from overland) almost to the lake in probably about 5 hours. Of course, exiting and hiking back to camp at the head of the canyon took a few more hours. Another time, some friends and I descended Anasazi to about the high water mark in about 5 hours (it might take a couple more hours to get to the lake at current levels?). It ended up being a long day, reascending our ropes and the slot to get back to camp. But if you have a boat at the bottom, it seems to me that 7 to descent the canyons would be conservative.

Nat
    Wish you were around too. Would be good to hit the slots with you sometime. We've had a couple near-misses now...

Thanks for the info Nat. We've been cautioned that it took the crew with Ram's guidance from before light until after Dark. I'd rather play conservative. We'll have cell phones and powerful radios; if there is any chance we finish early on Moepitz, we will try to contact the boat. If not, we may adjust the next day. I'd rather take a nap while waiting for the boat, rather than spend a less than wonderful night in the canyon though. ;)

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    AJ
    Congrats on putting together a great sounding trip. I wish it wasn't so soon as I already had plans.
    Your organization skills are commendable, well done, wish I could be there.
    Kurt
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?