Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow! WTF?!

Snow! WTF?!

I have an inch on the ground already and still coming. I just got my garden and tons of flowers planted. F*ck!

How much cold and snow will kill my plants?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Snow! WTF?!

Shhhhhhhhit!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Ummm I sense that you are a bit upset by this latest weather pattern.
    Chere'

This is Strawberry Res this morning!!
    Name:  31815_437527202328_&.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  49.4 KB
    If you don't have anything nice to say....come and sit by me.

Dana & Thane @ Couchsurfing.org

I thought I was wayyyyyy safe planting my tomatoes only last week. I'll have to give them a little TLC when I get home.

My Wysteria blooms have already been out for a few weeks, I thought we were in the clear.

Name:  IMGP8231%20%28Medi&#1.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  173.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I thought I was wayyyyyy safe planting my tomatoes only last week. I'll have to give them a little TLC when I get home.
    TLC? Like what? It is supposed to get up to the 50's, but will having my stuff covered in snow this long kill it?

Quote Originally Posted by dbaxter View Post
    This is Strawberry Res this morning!!
    Name:  31815_437527202328_&.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  49.4 KB
    Oh hell. I was supposed to go up there fishing tomorrow. Wonder if it will melt? Do you think its worth it or should I bag it?

Its dumping like a mofo up (that's right.. Utah County is up not down) here near Provo Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Oh hell. I was supposed to go up there fishing tomorrow. Wonder if it will melt? Do you think its worth it or should I bag it?
    Not sure, my Dad is up there he is in charge of all the campgrounds, he has a facebook site that this pic came from its called "Strawberry Lake in Utah" and he keeps it pretty well updated.
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Its dumping like a mofo up (that's right.. Utah County is up not down) here near Provo Canyon
    Nah...its clearly down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelon1 View Post
    Not sure, my Dad is up there he is in charge of all the campgrounds, he has a facebook site that this pic came from its called "Strawberry Lake in Utah" and he keeps it pretty well updated.
    If you don't mind getting me some more info it would be great. It is supposed to be okay tomorrow, but I don't want snow on the ground. PM me if you can find out any more info, including fishing conditions and which campground and areas, etc. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    TLC? Like what? It is supposed to get up to the 50's, but will having my stuff covered in snow this long kill it?
    You might be able to throw a quick tarp over them. Are they caged already? At least give them some miracle gro when you get home, possibly with root stimulant. There's a good chance they'll recover.

It's actually not snowing up here in the Roy area.

Usually my Magnolia blooms are hurt by the frost, but they've bloomed and already fallen off by the time this snow came. Whatever Al Gore is doing, he needs to back it off a bit to get us back to normal.

First, I gotta say, Beech, how old is that wisteria vine?
    I had one in at my moms for four years now and while its huge, took over the deck and hand rail, it has a total of 7 flowers on it! grows very well, about 10 feet on several shoots each year but no flowers till now and now there are 7? WTF indeed!
    Putting one in at my house this summer on an arbor and maybe on a pergola if I get it built this summer. What did you do different than me to make yours so damned nice?!
    spill the tips man! Normally I plant anything and it turns out great, in High school I grew some 7 foot plants in my closet in a matter of about 45 days and had them flowering and sticky before day 60, I know how to grow!
    at this point i have to say when mom smelled them and found them when I was out one day the trouble I ended up in when I got home was enormous! In fact now at 39 years old I think I might still be grounded over that one, but I was able to sit down long before my dad told me I would be able to do so!

As to teh snow, yeah my house too! I however watch to much weather and do some amateur research on my own, my plants are still in my storage room, under grow lights and by the window, in green house boxes. Not safe to put them in the ground yet! The tomatoes are in 5 gallon pots, being watered and fertilized, not feeling safe to put them outside just yet!
    normally I put plants in on mothers day weekend and know i am safe, but this year... Normally I only worry about frost and over night temps, but never thought Id wake up to the snow i have in Tooele today! Down town was not bad, but the bench where I live had half an inch when I woke up at 6 and looked out the window, melting off now, but still got about half an inch left to melt, and maybe slightly over an inch before it started melting off.
    Hoping the 3 day weekend coming up is a safe bet for planting these int eh ground!
    If you have them in ground already, pound some stakes in the ground in a row around plants, keep them about 6 inches higher than the plants next to them, then cover the stake tops with some plastic sheeting, and put rocks or bricks or something on the edges against the ground to keep them from caving in or blowing away.
    A small snow storm that melts off fast shouldnt kill your plants, but might slow them up, if they are covered for a few hours...you might be starting from scratch. Tomatoes your best bet is walls o water or something close to that to save them. blooms and blossoms are whats most affected by the cold, they die first, a while longer and the plant dies too.
    Been busy on the yard for the last month or so, not alot of time to sit at the computer, but as yard work starts winding down ( I had no yard after a move this last fall so its been a field and starting from scratch) and beds get planted and a lawn gets put in I will be around more often, with todays snow, hell, I might have nothign to do and be here all the time!

Geez louise, I just planted all my annuals. My strawberries are either in bloom or forming berries. We planted tomatoes, too. WTF?!!! It's almost June!

I still haven't planted my garden yet due to the low daytime temps. Glad I haven't too. I think the greenhouses must be loving this. More plants to sell.

I closed the blinds in my office. I can't stand to watch it snow.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I closed the blinds in my office. I can't stand to watch it snow.
    Me, too.

We didn't put our veggie garden in either, because of rain. I'm glad now, but a few hundred bucks worth of annuals may bite it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    ...a few hundred bucks worth of annuals may bite it.
    Ditto.

Clear and cold tonight.
    Small amount of snow might actually help insulate the plants from cold, if they made it through that, Cover the veggies tonight before you head in for bed. You may still make it with out replanting if you do so.
    Maters, peppers, eggplant, all the fruit bearing from blossoms veggies, get them covered now, you may well still make it with out replanting.
    depending on the annuals i had out, Id consider covering them as well tonight, might save you alot of cash to replant and alot of work as well.
    Next cold storm that could kill them and bring another cold over night is due to hit us thursday if the news is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8grvty View Post
    First, I gotta say, Beech, how old is that wisteria vine?
    Wysteria begins to bloom on average at @ 7 years old. This is my first year with "real" blooms. Now I'm waiting on my Tulip tree which takes 3 years, so hopefully next year it will bloom.

Seven years old??!!!!
    Damn.
    I do not plan to be living here in that much time, not planting one here! Must mean I did it all right to get any blooms on the one thats 4 years old!
    yours however is beautiful, I look forward to the day i like my home enough to commit to 7 years of waiting to have something like that in my yard.