Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZAC is really branching out

ZAC is really branching out

Zion Adventure is really branching out.

http://www.zionadventures.com/index....d=5&Itemid=377

I called to get some info on Powell but they must be busy, no answer.

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It looks like a lot more then Lake Powell has been added to ZAC's menu....

Monterrey Canyoning Details Carousel
    North Wash Canyoneering Details Carousel
    Escalante Classics Details
    Joshua Tree canyon Skills Clinics
    Escalante Classics Canyoneering
    Slot Canyons of North Wash

The Powell trip is out of control. Went three weeks ago and it blew my mind. This is NOT for public consumption. I thought about doing a trip report but JZ and the crew lectured us about how sacred this area is and I agree. 100% ghosting techniques, massive sequenced keepers, no anchor materials except for sand. If you are willing to fork over the dough and go with these guys it is the holy grail of canyoneering in my opinion. Tom cryptically eluded to these canyons last fall but I never expected to see them as soon as I did. Since this cat is now out of the bag on Bogley, maybe I can do a TR without giving enough specifics to open the flood gates to those foolish enough to try it on their own. Go with these guys or make sure your life insurance is paid up before hand.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenDean View Post
    The Powell trip is out of control. Went three weeks ago and it blew my mind. This is NOT for public consumption. I thought about doing a trip report but JZ and the crew lectured us about how sacred this area is and I agree. 100% ghosting techniques, massive sequenced keepers, no anchor materials except for sand. If you are willing to fork over the dough and go with these guys it is the holy grail of canyoneering in my opinion. Tom cryptically eluded to these canyons last fall but I never expected to see them as soon as I did. Since this cat is now out of the bag on Bogley, maybe I can do a TR without giving enough specifics to open the flood gates to those foolish enough to try it on their own. Go with these guys or make sure your life insurance is paid up before hand.
    How about just some pictures?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There are extremely motivated and effective sleuths prowling this website and the Internets in general. So, yes, some pictures are good, but not ones that "give it away". No camp pictures, no approach pictures, not exiting the canyon pictures.

Shane will still puzzle it out, but...

You've come a long way in a short time, Dean. Good to see.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There are extremely motivated and effective sleuths prowling this website and the Internets in general. So, yes, some pictures are good, but not ones that "give it away". No camp pictures, no approach pictures, not exiting the canyon pictures.

Shane will still puzzle it out, but...

You've come a long way in a short time, Dean. Good to see.

Tom
    How much does this once in a lifetime experience cost?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    How much does this once in a lifetime experience cost?
    If you have to ask... Is pricey - http://tinyurl.com/2bjtzk5

Nick is still working on the website... some pages still as placeholders.

Tom

$425 per day 3 days 10% discount if bring own food and boat.

Thanks Tom. I owe you a lot. Will post a few pics as teasers..no canyon names either. As far as being "once in a lifetime", well its a lot like a Grand Canyon float trip. You say that and then realize you must return, no matter what it takes. I will be back.

-Edward Abbey

The Powell trip is out of control. Went three weeks ago and it blew my mind. This is NOT for public consumption. I thought about doing a trip report but JZ and the crew lectured us about how sacred this area is and I agree.
    Kind of had to chuckle when I read this...

Yeah, I guess private guiding is not "public consumption". Unless they guide the "public"...ha ha.

And, yeah, reminds me of how JZ used to refer to the Oak Creek forks too. Before they bolted the beejeezus out of them.

The more I think about it, as a consumer, when you buy something, you're consuming a product. On public land. Hence, therefore, fit for "public consumption".

Folks are so lucky to be able to pay someone to have their adventure for them...

Does sound like a situation soon to be "out of control"...guiding "secret" canyons. Wow. Such a nifty use of public land.

I'm sure continued rubbing folks' noses in it will help a whole bunch too.

Ha ha ha.

-Brian in SLC

Hey, they did years of exploration and development of gear specific to making these canyons accessible without disrupting the pristine condition of them. I am not rubbing anyone's nose in it. Just saying that I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into creating this opportunity and I personally don't want it to change. As soon as folks who do not understand the techniques and gear they are using to run these canyons get in there, they will get bolted up and/or people will get hurt or killed. They put in the years of experimentation and development, they have earned the right to keep them secret. I know it won't last forever but I won't be the one to spoil it for now. I have my special places in Colorado that I won't share either. One of them used to be Conundrum Hot Spring long ago. Now the 13 campsites around Conundrum have human feces everywhere, you can't even get a spot there unless you hike up mid-week, more rules and regs have been forced on us. I have no problem with folks keeping a few secrets. Either compensate them for their R&D of this area and learn their methods or spend many years figuring it out for yourself. No one is stopping you. I smell some sour grapes...

-Edward Abbey

Hey, they did years of exploration and development of gear specific to making these canyons accessible without disrupting the pristine condition of them. I am not rubbing anyone's nose in it. Just saying that I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into creating this opportunity and I personally don't want it to change. As soon as folks who do not understand the techniques and gear they are using to run these canyons get in there, they will get bolted up and/or people will get hurt or killed. They put in the years of experimentation and development, they have earned the right to keep them secret. I know it won't last forever but I won't be the one to spoil it for now. I have my special places in Colorado that I won't share either. One of them used to be Conundrum Hot Spring long ago. Now the 13 campsites around Conundrum have human feces everywhere, you can't even get a spot there unless you hike up mid-week, more rules and regs have been forced on us. I have no problem with folks keeping a few secrets. Either compensate them for their R&D of this area and learn their methods or spend many years figuring it out for yourself. No one is stopping you. I smell some sour grapes...
    Brian is a crusty old curdmudgeon, brings out those old saws every chance he gets...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Brian is a crusty old curdmudgeon, brings out those old saws every chance he gets...
    Always time for a new round, though, eh?

Ahhh...remember when it was just pure recreation, and not a business?

Pristine canyons from a power boat on a huge manmade reservoir...kinda funny.

At least folks have found a way to exploit that land without too much extraction...

I'd be all jealous, but, I realize I'm only 500 bucks a day from being one of the cool clients...

Seems like there should be a David Hannum (not, apparently P.T. Barnum) quote here someone...but, hey, its Friday...

Everyone have a safe and happy weekend, clients and canyoneers all.

Interestingly, not everyone wants to be a canyoneer. Some want to be just clients, have the adventure and go home and tell the tale. I see nothing wrong with either.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Interestingly, not everyone wants to be a canyoneer. Some want to be just clients, have the adventure and go home and tell the tale. I see nothing wrong with either.
    Agreed, but these labels are not mutually exclusive. Example: Two trips with ZAC but participants were mostly skilled canyoneers with many independent trips under their belt. They just understood the value of exposure to consummate pros and places that would have been difficult to experience otherwise. Funny how ZAC makes their living guiding people, yet focuses so heavily on teaching the skills to become independent and responsible canyoneers. You either pay for a trip to get the quick fun adventure then go home, or you do it to exponentially increase your skills and knowledge, therefore becoming a "real" canyoneer. You take from it what you want but there is no shame in paying to learn.

-Edward Abbey

And I don't see anything wrong with the hybrid...Canyoneer/client. More power to ya'
    Life is Good

Mabey we could get a Bogley trip down there. have 3 groups of 6 all start a different day. I assume there are atleast 18 that would like to do this. If more then we start more groups! It can be sponsored by Bogley. We just need to get our ad clicks up for funding. So everyone get clicking! At $.12 a click (I just pulled this number out of my...) we would each need to click an ad 10,833.33 times. I think its worth it though. Should we get the approval first or just start clicking away?
    The man thong is wrong.

Its a funny idea, but you shouldn't even joke about clicking on the ads to raise money as google will ban sites for habib invalid clicks with no reasonable appeal process. one of the terms of having adsense is that you NEVER try to urge your visitors to click on ads.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

I have to learn to quit taking this bait....or stop shamelessly plugging my friends.

-Edward Abbey

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Agreed, but these labels are not mutually exclusive. Example: Two trips with ZAC but participants were mostly skilled canyoneers with many independent trips under their belt. They just understood the value of exposure to consummate pros and places that would have been difficult to experience otherwise. Funny how ZAC makes their living guiding people, yet focuses so heavily on teaching the skills to become independent and responsible canyoneers. You either pay for a trip to get the quick fun adventure then go home, or you do it to exponentially increase your skills and knowledge, therefore becoming a "real" canyoneer. You take from it what you want but there is no shame in paying to learn.
    How long had you been canyoneering and how many canyons had you completed prior to your trip with Zac?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum