Thread: Suggestions for someone new?

Suggestions for someone new?

I'm really looking to get some experience canyoneering, and was thinking of taking Zion Adventure Company's 1-day basic course. I looked at their progressive course, but I can't find anyone to split it with, so it's one-on-one $500 price tag puts it out of my price range right now.

I have a strong technical background, lots of rock climbing (multi-pitch trad leads, alpine), mountaineering. Have some good piles of gear and even a wetsuit, but never been in a technical canyon.

Anyone take any of these courses or have any experience, suggestions, point me in a good direction, etc?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The American Canyoneering Association is a non-profit organization that offers many opportunities for learning in Utah, Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada and elsewhere. Visit our meetup group to find workshops, practice sessions, rendezvous and other outings in your area.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Cool thanks, just joined the meetup group!

Also keep your eye out for the yearly Bogley get together. I have been taught some neat stuff and gotten to hike with ropes with some awesome peeps.
    The man thong is wrong.

I would save myself the money. Check out a canyoneering book at the library and find a friend that knows what they're doing. There are two posts on bogley for group trips in the next few weeks where people are looking for partners.

I took a class from the ACA and don't regret paying the money. Hooking up with people here works too but there's no gurantee that who you hook up with actually knows what they are doing They probably do, but you are taking that risk. I learned a ton from the ACA class and thought it was pretty reasonably priced (at least it was 5 or 6 years ago when I took it).

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I have a strong technical background, lots of rock climbing (multi-pitch trad leads, alpine), mountaineering. Have some good piles of gear and even a wetsuit, but never been in a technical canyon.
    If you have a strong trad climbing background your skills are probably already better then 70% of the recreational canyoneers.... In your particular case I'd say find and experienced group and hook up with them....

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I'm really looking to get some experience canyoneering, and was thinking of taking Zion Adventure Company's 1-day basic course. I looked at their progressive course, but I can't find anyone to split it with, so it's one-on-one $500 price tag puts it out of my price range right now.

Anyone take any of these courses or have any experience, suggestions, point me in a good direction, etc?
    You are far ahead of most people who start canyoneering. I am an instructor at Zion Adventure Company, so I have a very specific interest in your question.

My thought is, since you have more technical skills than experience, you would do well to do several to many easy technical canyons before enrolling in a course. You would do well to hook up with other people canyoneering to see what they do, and evaluate what works and what does not work. For you. You would do well to be cautious and careful - there are many people who consider themselves to be 'experienced canyoneers' who are less technically savvy than you - but since you have a good, solid background, you can keep yourself safe.

After some experience, you may or may not be interested in taking a course. Our courses are customized to the needs of the customer, but, if you hook onto an existing One Day Basic, you will likely be with people who have never rappelled before. We try to avoid this scenario when booking but... The better avenue for you, perhaps, would be to get in with a crowd of people who know what they are doing and learn stuff with them. Its better if you can wrangle a couple of friends who are all at the same technical level to book a course together - then the course will be tailored to your needs and we can get a lot done.

I started as an experienced climber, and did a few canyons, then took Rich's ACA courses. They were good, and less expensive than other courses. After getting some experience, you might want to do that to jump-start your canyon-specific technical skills.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    I took a class from the ACA and don't regret paying the money. Hooking up with people here works too but there's no gurantee that who you hook up with actually knows what they are doing They probably do, but you are taking that risk. I learned a ton from the ACA class and thought it was pretty reasonably priced (at least it was 5 or 6 years ago when I took it).
    And to add on to that - start with canyons where things are straightforward. Zion has lots of those, and it is easy to hook up for Zion trips. The rating of "3" generally means your climbing skills will be sufficient, a rating of "4" or a water rating of "C" is a BIG NO!

Hooking up with people for a Zion trip is usually pretty easy. Post here, or look for invitations.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy125 View Post
    Thanks, Eric. Course fees have gone up a little, but not much. Still the best value of any courses available. Instructor pool has expanded to include Jared Hillhouse (North Wash Outfitters), Rick Green (Excursions of Escalante), Matt Moore (Desert Highlights), Kurt Sparenburg and Steve Morga (RedRock Canyoneering). We anticipate adding a couple more instructors in SLC in the very near future.

The ACA continues to provide many opportunities for learning listed on the meetup group (link in my previous post) that won't cost a dime.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Or, skip the beginner course and find out what excursion Tom is leading next. You would never go wrong there. My first trip was North Wash with Tom, Nick and Sarah of ZAC, and was billed as "experience required". They made an exception for me and I was less skilled than you. The skills I learned from them launched a canyoneering addiction that has spun out of control. If you can save a little more dough, do a Lake Powell canyon trip with ZAC. You will come back with more skills than 90% of the community. I have met many canyon leaders in the past year but there are no higher quality than the folks at ZAC. Just can't say enough good things about them.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Thanks all for the great suggestions and advice. Going to see if I can hook up with people and gather some partners here and there. Hopefully meet some of you out there.