Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into it

Getting back into it

I've been recovering and rehabbing after being ill for a few years, and I think I'm ready to get back into some hiking, maybe mountain biking this summer.

Thing is, I can't really do heat. If my body temp goes up just even a degree, my muscles get Jell-O weak (green Jell-O with shredded carrots, because I'm in Utah after all) and my vision gets blurry. Anyway....it's incredibly inconvenient for a red rock desert lover. I usually put ice in my hat to stay cool, but obviously that's not going to work for all occasions.

I've prowled all over Utah before this crap happened, but most of the places I went may be inaccessible to me this year.

I could use some ideas for hikes or easy-ish mountain biking trails in southern Utah, that are either at high altitude (with cooler winds) or in canyons. Some place other than a stool at Moab Brewery, although a growler always works.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I could use some ideas for hikes or easy-ish mountain biking trails in southern Utah, that are either at high altitude (with cooler winds) or in canyons. Some place other than a stool at Moab Brewery, although a growler always works.
    Zion, this weekend, a spot at Watchman, and hanging with some groovy folks. Beyond that, well, I'm not sure. But it would be a great start!

I don't know where you live but the Cedar Breaks/Parowan area has some great hiking and it's cool all Summer. Tushar Mtn area outside Beaver is great, too.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Have you looked at this before? I used to use it

http://www.polarbreezebandanas.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Oh, man. It's possible I just have sensitive skin or maybe I shouldn't have tried to sleep with it on, but I had one of those cooling bandanas in Iraq and I got the worst rash from it.

And Spooky. Night hiking is the shit! It's cooler, there are less people around, and clothing becomes optional. You could, theoretically speaking of course, make it from the parking lot to the hot springs at Diamond Fork (about 2 miles) and not even bring clothes...
    Plus, it can be kind of Spooky hiking at night.

I have used those too, never got a rash. I also use a cooling jacket on my motorcycle during the hot months. It works great and lasts several hours. Googling now to try and find the model I have. First search I found this site: http://store.polarsoftice.com/polarshop/pc/home.asp

Interesting.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Evaporative-Co...281803&sr=1-28

I soak it in the sink before leaving the office and then wring it out a little depending on how hot it is. If I leave it too wet, I can actually get cold in 90 degree temps. Then it goes underneath my summer riding jacket with my vents open. Work wonders...

Name:  41XN8K3SGRL._SS500_&.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  25.9 KB

Don, leave anything wet on through the night will give you a rash and stop trying to get girls naked already

...stop trying to get girls naked already
    Never gonna happen. My eventual retirement plan revolves around nude beaches and leering.

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    I don't know where you live but the Cedar Breaks/Parowan area has some great hiking and it's cool all Summer. Tushar Mtn area outside Beaver is great, too.

Win
    You're right, that is a great area. My parents have a place in North Creek, just north of Beaver, and I've hiked all through those mountains. That's a great idea, thanks.

I haven't seen that, thanks! I do have a cooling vest that I soak in ice water, and I wear it under my t-shirt or whatever. It doesn't help as much as keeping my neck and head cool, though, so the bandanna would be great.

And hiking naked? Not after the experience of hiking down into Slickhorn Canyon, out on Cedar Mesa, and running into naked old people who were smoking pot and bathing each other.

Thanks, guys. Ended up I had progressive MS and it really caught up with me. For about 4 years I was toast, but I'm on a new drug that seems to be working miracles. My balance and eye sight are back, legs are strong and no more vertigo. As long as I stay cool, that is. It's freaking ridiculous because I've never been fragile but hell...I guess you do what you've got to do.

Any ideas for mountain biking?

I couldn't do Slickrock this year but I could do the practice loop. That's about where I'm at in terms of ability. What I'm looking for is something without too many climbs, but rough enough to enjoy it, maybe a riverside trail?

I am sure others will pitch in other trails, but I love Gemini bridges trail for newbie mountain bikers. Especially if you start from the Dead Horse side and go towards hwy 191. You'd still have a climb at the end, you can easily walk that, but the rest of the ride is all flat or down.

Any ideas for mountain biking?

I couldn't do Slickrock this year but I could do the practice loop. That's about where I'm at in terms of ability. What I'm looking for is something without too many climbs, but rough enough to enjoy it, maybe a riverside trail?
    You'll want to hit St George, some great trails down there. Moab is famous and great and all, but usually has more of the brutal stuff. I consider Slickrock Trail to be brutal, no matter how many 8 year olds are on it.

You're welcome to ride with us every week up here too.

I am sure others will pitch in other trails, but I love Gemini bridges trail for newbie mountain bikers. Especially if you start from the Dead Horse side and go towards hwy 191. You'd still have a climb at the end, you can easily walk that, but the rest of the ride is all flat or down.
    I'll definitely check that out...sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You'll want to hit St George, some great trails down there. Moab is famous and great and all, but usually has more of the brutal stuff. I consider Slickrock Trail to be brutal, no matter how many 8 year olds are on it.

You're welcome to ride with us every week up here too.
    I honestly thought Slickrock was easier than the Granite Quarry trail in Little Cottonwood Canyon. That trail is only 3 miles long, but it's steep as hell in a few places and a mixture of rocks, rocky dirt and deep sand. That trail used to kill me, but I could bike to the top without getting off my bike. And then kick the hackey-sack at the top to wind down. Great days.

I wonder if there are any good trails in Snow Canyon? I'm going to have to buy a book...

Thousand lake mountain, access it from Loa. Great trails to the top of the plateau and views of the reef are fantastic.
    Always nice and cool up there.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!

hmm. mountain biking in st. george without heat... I have that same dream everyday of my life, doesn't happen

but if you get up early enough then hit paradise canyon, thats easy and only takes about an hour. other short ones are sidewinder, and anasazi

i've got an invite for saturday if your interested. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...turday-5-22-10
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

St George this weekend is going to be in the low 70s. Perfect weather!

St George this weekend is going to be in the low 70s. Perfect weather!
    keep telling your self that, it's 80 degrees right now and its only 11am
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Quote Originally Posted by RedMan View Post
    Thousand lake mountain, access it from Loa. Great trails to the top of the plateau and views of the reef are fantastic.
    Always nice and cool up there.
    Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by theking648 View Post
    hmm. mountain biking in st. george without heat... I have that same dream everyday of my life, doesn't happen

but if you get up early enough then hit paradise canyon, thats easy and only takes about an hour. other short ones are sidewinder, and anasazi

i've got an invite for saturday if your interested. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...turday-5-22-10
    I should've said I was willing to bike very early in the morning or evening...

Walked up the Quarry Trail yesterday and the temps were perfect. Those biking down made me intensely jealous. One guy hit my favorite rock to get some air and I was muttering, "Bastid!" Next time, I'm biking it.

Walked up the Quarry Trail yesterday and the temps were perfect. Those biking down made me intensely jealous. One guy hit my favorite rock to get some air and I was muttering, "Bastid!" Next time, I'm biking it.
    We are riding it tomorrow. Maybe...