Thread: I like this story

I like this story

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_15105156

McEntee: The late, great Dave on Cedar Mesa
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Updated: 05/17/2010 10:47:42 PM MDT

There was a time when our little band of friends and family had a can't-miss-it spring ritual -- be there when the full moon rises in May on Cedar Mesa.
    We'd load our trucks and Jeeps with tents, air mattresses, coolers, lawn chairs, books, food, drink, dogs, and head south. (Forgot something? Our motto: "If we don't have it, we'll buy it.")
    Dave would come from wherever he was living at the moment; Bill, Steve and Marni from California; a bunch of us from Salt Lake City; and Beth from North Carolina. We were reporters, photo techs, geo-geeks, truckers, printers, and oil refinery workers.
    Some of us were kind of crazy.
    I got to thinking about the mesa when I read our story on protecting the Moon House ruin. I've been there, and we were careful as can be not to mess anything up.
    In the 1990s, we'd pick a different spot for nearly every trip. We might pitch camp on the rocks and sand above Owl Creek Canyon, or on a windy bluff overlooking the edge of the mesa. One year we found an 11-mile dirt road that took us to a point overlooking a vast canyon where cliff dwellings materialized as if by magic.
    Dave was a big man, our scout and, in his mind, our ex officio camp boss. He hated being within earshot of other campers. Once, when four-wheelers were checking out our isolated patch of sand, Dave stood up and started honing a big butcher knife on his sharpener.
    I never knew those little machines could move so fast.
    That year, we'd hiked around the rim of the canyon and dropped down to check out some ruins. Under an enormous overhang, we found a kiva, its roof collapsed over the centuries.
    And as I looked up, I saw a little tree growing downward from a seep in the sandstone, then making upward turn toward the light. In its crook was a tiny bird's nest; I imagined a canyon wren there, tending her young.
    In camp, we'd stay up all hours waiting for the moon to rise above the pi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeez, more ash scattering talk. But it sounds like a beautiful place to be scattered. Just the thought of it, just the idea that it might be a canyon wren's nest - man, I love the sound of those birds.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Awesome friends! See that is the way to do it.