Thread: Methods to "Waterproof" Camera

Methods to "Waterproof" Camera

Hi,

Wanting to take a poll and get a feel for how fellow Canyoneers are packing their camera and what equipment the use to get it done. Ideally for multi-day or at least all day trips with waterfalls and swimming.

Ortlieb aqua-zoom, Pelican Case, Watershed Zip duffel, Ewa-Marine, Aquapac SLR.

Thanks for the input.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ppurdom View Post
    Wanting to take a poll and get a feel for how fellow Canyoneers are packing their camera and what equipment the use to get it done. Ideally for multi-day or at least all day trips with waterfalls and swimming.
    Well, the real deal would be to just break down and buy a waterproof camera...but, in lieu of that...

I carry mine in a small case (Pelican?). Has a clear cover and is just big enough to fit my camera and a chunk of one of those super absorbant towels. For sustained water, I put that in a dry keg. For splashy type exposure, I clip it high to my shoulder strap and try not to submerge it. Also, I try to have a bit of a procedure for pulling it out to shoot that minimizes drippage. Nothing worse than being careful, reaching down after the case is open, only to have a hidden sleeve full of water go right into the case.

I fully expect that my method will sooner or later result in a ruined camera, but, has worked so far for now.

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

I use the Ortlieb SLR ziplock drybag thingy (don't remember its official name). It works pretty well when bringing my clunky SLR. Best to have a towel in with it to dry your hands and keep moisture from dripping on the camera when you open it to pull the camera out. It's not made for submerging so I usually keep it around my shoulders and not in my pack when swimming so it floats along the top rather than getting pulled under water. I still rarely take it into canyons though, there just isn't a solution to all the weight and room an SLR takes up. Even with waterproof housing the thing is just big and in the way. I'd take it in Zion but skinny slots suck to drag an SLR through. I bought a little waterproof point and shoot because then I'll actually take it canyoneering. I still keep it in a waterproof case because once you get water on the lens, all your photos have water droplets in them. The camera still gets covered in sand and gets some water in the case from my gloves, however I just clean it off at camp by pouring clean water over it. Pretty sweet.

Depending on the camera I'm packing I use a Pelican or an S3 case (basically the same as a Pelican). No worries about leaking. These days my wife and I usually pack two cameras, but before that I would do things like have her take a picture of me going down the rap and swim and then have her toss the camera into the pothole where it would float. I would retrieve it and then take a picture of her coming down. To use I just shake the bulk of the water off my hands and maybe take a quick wipe on a dry canyon wall. Good enough. As long as the camera body is just damp and isn't actually enough to bead and flow then I don't worry about it. I keep the case open overnight to let things dry out. I haven't ruined any cameras yet.

plus one for a pelican case.

I've had a pelican case leak on me before. I had it clipped to my shoulder strap and in the first pool I waded into it was floating - but when I pulled the camera out it was damp and glitching like crazy. I don't trust them anymore.
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

I carry my camera is a small drybag with a bandana in the bottom of the drybag to suck up any moisture. If I know the route will be particularly wet I sometimes put it in a ziplock bag inside the drybag.

I've never ruined a camera yet from water.... and I've ruined a lot of camera's... ... but all by other means.

I've had partners ruin camera's using both a Pelican case and a Canyon Keg. The Pelican leaked and the Keg cracked it's lid. YMMV....

Thanks for the replies. Especially on the pelican leaking, which I assume comes from aging stress on the closing tabs and aging on the gasket. Ordering a Watershed Ococee duffel and liner and may put the dslr in an Ortlieb aqua-zoom X2 rolls + X2 ziplock gaskets. The Ocecee has a clear panel to see into, its that going to be a weak spot?

I do a lot of photography and will want to pull it out for very planned specific shots and use a less important camera for general "I was there and it was awesome shots"

Technically no cameras have died from water (Re-birth Nikon N90 from Narrows dip, Flight of the view camera, and death by theft does that count?)