Thread: Solo Death Hollow Trip

Solo Death Hollow Trip

I had a trip all planned with a few of my buddies to Hike the whole length of Death Hollow near Escalante this weekend. One by one they all dropped out and I still want to go really bad even if it's by myself. I believe I have all the right gear. I will have a rope, a tube to float my pack and dry bags for my gear, for I know that this canyon will require a lot of swimming. I was hoping someone who has done this whole route could tell me if I'd be alright doing it solo or not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Probably can, when you get to the old Mail trail is where you may find people. We didn't need a rope 10 years ago but they are always handy. How you getting your car to the TH by Escalante, its a long walk back to the start. Some neck deep pools, walking in the creek and lots of poision ivy. Only problem is if you get hurt by yourself. Thats the only reason to not do canyons by yourself. Its not that well travelled.

I've done it a number of times (though not alone). I think it could be OK solo, just be careful with the downclimbs. Personally, I would skip the tube and pack floating, and just dry bag stuff in my pack. That's what I've always done, and it works fine. I have always managed to downclimb the drops without a rope, but bringing a 40ft rope would be wise as you won't have any spotters. All of the drops are 12ft or less, except one just before where the right fork comes in which is maybe 20ft, and this is avoidable by climbing a gully on the left, and crossing over to the right fork. I have always done it without a wetsuit, but have been quite cold on a few occasions, and I would recommend bringing a 3/2. It is ways until the first water source (5-7 hours) so I would start with at least 3 liters.

Nat

I am going down on Thursday with six friends and we are doing the Boulder Mail Trail/Death Hollow on Friday. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Did you end up going? We ended up going down Sand Creek, so I am looking at going again this year to make the full trip.