Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sandthrax submission

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Surely the criticism will ensue from the entire canyoneering community once/if they post. I don't blame them for not posting their story.
    hey, what's to learn from a small, overconfident group w/o proper gear? oh, wait...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I really believe there are only two types of canyoneers in the world..... Those that have spent a night in a forced bivy.... and.... those who are going to spend a night in a forced bivy.....

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark
    Does anyone know what pack that is that Dave is wearing? Around 2:24 in the video. I'm interested in how he is snugly hooking Tom's silo on the bottom. I would like a pack that the silos would clip on and off of easily. Tom?
    Mark, it looks like one of Tom's Imlay packs; likely a Leprechaun. Dave likely cinched the shoulder strap down tight, and clipped that (or maybe fed it through a strap?) on the bottom... The Leprechaun is a great little pack for tight but short(ish) canyons...

As much as I hate to correct the 45 minute legend, tis sadly true it was 1 hour 15 minutes. That was from the truck and back to the truck, but still 1:15. The rest of the legend is all true the sun was setting, there was 30 pounds of sand in my pack, and I can clear buildings in a single bound. Ok there was no sand in my pack. I must admit I have been tempted for the last year or so to go back and see if I can beat that time, or see what I could do on the reverse. So maybe in the near future it will be officially 45 minutes. I will agree with Shane these weren't the first and definitely won't be the last people to get into trouble in this canyon. One of these days you'll be reading a TR from Scott Card going through Santhrax!

To answer the other question no I had not been in Santhrax. I had read Nat Smale's trip report. That was the extent of my knowledge before entering.

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co
    Thanks for clearing that up, even though you had never been there you still had a rim crew which is a sound backup plan.
    Looking forward to meeting up with ya this weekend for some more x rated goodness down in the kings mesa area.

I was looking forward to it as well, we talked about going into scorpion west, and bishop. I however am not going to be able to make it down this weekend.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    As much as I hate to correct the 45 minute legend, tis sadly true it was 1 hour 15 minutes. That was from the truck and back to the truck, but still 1:15. The rest of the legend is all true the sun was setting, there was 30 pounds of sand in my pack, and I can clear buildings in a single bound. Ok there was no sand in my pack. I must admit I have been tempted for the last year or so to go back and see if I can beat that time, or see what I could do on the reverse. So maybe in the near future it will be officially 45 minutes. I will agree with Shane these weren't the first and definitely won't be the last people to get into trouble in this canyon. One of these days you'll be reading a TR from Scott Card going through Santhrax!
    1:15 my grandma can do better than that.

Tell Dan to stop talking down your time.

strong sarcasm in my post

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Does anyone know what pack that is that Dave is wearing? Around 2:24 in the video. I'm interested in how he is snugly hooking Tom's silo on the bottom. I would like a pack that the silos would clip on and off of easily. Tom?
    One of the first things I tried, back in the day, was the ropebag / pack combo - and it totally sucked.

Ask Dave.

Tom

Whoever carpey is quoting from You-tube is a different party. These guys had no camera gear, and are certainly not dicks about the episode.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869 View Post
    Whoever carpey is quoting from You-tube is a different party. These guys had no camera gear, and are certainly not dicks about the episode.
    You sure this isn't your buddies? This is what was posted on Dan's You Tube, I do not see anything about camera gear. It was posted 2 days ago.

yeah thats not even funny, me and my buddy got stuck in this canyon yesterday and had to spend the night in there with just tshirts and shorts, we were completely out of food and water and had no real chance of getting out. in the morning my buddy was able to climb out send down a rope for me but if he hadn't we'd probably still be there now. Sandthrax is no joke
    bmasterc 2 days ago

If it is them? It's hilarious that they got pissed at Dan for his camera Parody. When they are the ones that got in way over their heads! The only people they should be pissed at is themselves. FWIW

quote: Originally Posted by moab mark

I have a Leprechaun pack on my back and a proto-type Bagette 2 strapped around my waist. The strap of the Bagette has a fastex buckle so you can wear it like a fanny pack.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Davewyo View Post

I have a Leprechaun pack on my back and a proto-type Bagette 2 strapped around my waist. The strap of the Bagette has a fastex buckle so you can wear it like a fanny pack.

Dave
    Are you still using this setup or have you moved on?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davewyo View Post

Dave
    That would be a Bagarino, which now has that feature standard (a result of the Jihad). http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/rave/0609jihad/index.htm

Tom

HTML Code:
    Are you still using this setup or have you moved on? 
    Yes, I still use the set-up under certain circumstances.
    In the video I'm carrying 200' of 8mm for use by the rim crew.
    That is an idea situation.

I would not enjoy having the Bagarino strapped around my waist for extensive climby, difficult, or rowdy in-canyon movement.
    For canyons with a short approach, where you will use the rope quite often after arriving in the canyon, I think this set-up practical.
    Having the rope bag on my waist tends to give me a lower back ache if used for lengthly approaches.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    You sure this isn't your buddies? This is what was posted on Dan's You Tube, I do not see anything about camera gear. It was posted 2 days ago.

yeah thats not even funny, me and my buddy got stuck in this canyon yesterday and had to spend the night in there with just tshirts and shorts, we were completely out of food and water and had no real chance of getting out. in the morning my buddy was able to climb out send down a rope for me but if he hadn't we'd probably still be there now. Sandthrax is no joke
    bmasterc 2 days ago
    I stand corrected. I was looking at a different link.
    It's my job to call the BS around here. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by price1869 View Post
    I stand corrected. I was looking at a different link.

Have you got anymore info on what happened?

Trail Master
    9,500' on a foot hill, of a 14er Above the town of Evergreen Co

Great read!!!

The actual story is here:
    http://awclimbingadventures.wordpress.com/

“The vast canyoneering public are all middle-aged and overweight any way right?” No big deal. Now, in hindsight, this very attitude, we both agree, is largely what contributed to our failure.
    Hey... I resemble that remark!