Thread: White Rim Trail

White Rim Trail

Not exactly sure how this works, but here is my attempt at a trip report. I just returned from a 4 day/3 night ride around the White Rim Trail. There were 10 people, 5/5 and 3 support vehicles. I am sure we could have done it with 2 support vehicles, but we had a couple leave a day early, cutting off the last day’s short ride.

Not that it matters, but we group shopped, planned for dinners each night(hobo dinners, chili verde, spaghetti), lunchtime stops with lunch meat/sandwiches and continental breakfasts every morning, save for one…where we did it right, eggs, bacon, toast, breakfast burritos ect.
    The truck was packed up with general camp supplies, food, beer, wine, cigars, snacks of all sorts and A LOT OF WATER…..on yea & our bikes.

Name:  whiterim1..jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  83.5 KB

We did the clockwise ride, dropping in at the Shafer Trail. Speaking of the Shafer trail, it is a riot to ride and I enjoyed every bit of that drop in.

Name:  whiterim7..jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  whiterim8..jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  113.7 KB
    Name:  whiterim9..jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  119.5 KB

We rode to the Musselman Arch where we stopped for lunch the first day.

Name:  whiterim12..jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  103.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  whiterim14..jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  86.2 KB
    Name:  whiterim13..jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  101.5 KB

We then rode on to the Airport Campground for our first nights stay. Total ride was 19ish miles and easy. We had a dinner of chicken hobo dinners and enjoyed stories from the days ride. There was just one crash and no blood to speak of. There was a nose injury(more pride than damage) at camp due to slipping trying to get into the beer cooler.

Name:  whiterim15..jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  99.5 KB
    Name:  whiterim16..jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  79.9 KB

Up the next morning and decided that we would ride to White Crack to have lunch, then on to our campsite at Murphy Hogback. So we had a light breakfast, loaded our packs with snacks and hit the road.

Name:  whiterim18..jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  100.4 KB
    Name:  whiterim19..jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  92.8 KB
    Name:  whiterim20..jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  84.9 KB
    Name:  whiterim21..jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  96.3 KB

The Hogback climb was a bugger IMO….

Name:  whiterim22..jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  103.8 KB

It was difficult enough, that our bikes curled up next to a rock and went to sleep shortly after at the Murphy campground. Total ride today was 26ish miles and IMO, the toughest of the trip. Guess you can also add in about 3 miles of riding that we did into White Crack and back out to the WRT, so 29ish miles for the day. Dinner was the Chili Verde and we had our only weather, which was a light rain for about an hour or 2.

Name:  whiterim25..jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  124.4 KB
    Name:  whiterim23..jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  whiterim26..jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  71.3 KB
    Name:  whiterim28..jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  49.7 KB

There could be worse places to wake up and drink your morning coffee. The overlook at Murphy is amazing and makes that climb worth every pedal stroke or hike up....

Name:  whiterim29..jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  70.8 KB

We then hit the road in the morning after a REAL BREAKFAST. The breakfast burrito that I made was as impressive as the surroundings. Wish I would have had a picture of it….. Plan is to ride for about 2 hours and then stop for lunch…..then finish at our campsite, Hardscrabble. First pic is a support vehicle bringing up the rear…

Name:  whiterim30..jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  83.0 KB

WE HIT THE RIVER!

Name:  whiterim31..jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  85.0 KB

The last camp, as stated, was Hardscrabble…. EVERY camp was great, but this was my favorite. I think some of that was due to finally having some shade and more so, having a natural bath called the Green River. I spent a fair bit of time swimming around in what I assume was approx. 60F water…. Felt great after the hardscrabble hill climb up and over(down) to get there. Total miles day three was about 25. Not a bad ride, but there was some climbing that had every one of us doing some hike a bike.

Name:  whiterim32..jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  114.2 KB
    Name:  whiterim33..jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  98.4 KB

Michelle and I on the last night….

Name:  whiterim34..jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  74.2 KB

Our camp host….

Name:  whiterim35..jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  167.2 KB

We woke up, ate a quick bite, packed up camp and hit the road for the short ride out. I think the total mileage day 4 was only 10ish miles. All easy, except for the Horsethief trail. We had shuttled the other vehicles there day one, so at the top….didn’t ride the road back to wherever you start.

...and that is a wrap. This last pic is from the top of Horsethief trail.... It was the final climb. You can look down and see the road there by the river... You can't really see the switchbacks up....but it was a leg burner....

Name:  whiterim36..jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  90.0 KB

I’d do it again in a heartbeat and I think we already have pretty much decided we will next year. What an amazing place we live…..

Epic and a great trip report, thanks for posting it

Sweeeeeeeeeetnessssss. Great report and photos. Congrats and tks for posting it up.

Excellent.

Thanks for the trip report, looks like you all had a great time. Reminds me of our trip about two years ago, we did it in two days while camping on Hogs back. The views from Hogs back in the morning are amazing! We are planning another trip for next year, this time I will be on a soft tail unlike the last time I was down there. Again, thanks for the post!

Its nice to see photos of this ride. I rode it on the 8th going the other direction. My camera died the first day. What a blast of a ride!

[QUOTE=Deuce;402412]

[SIZE=3]I
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    :(

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Man that really sucks that good old Mother Nature said no! Hopefully they get it fixed before it gets worse and is back up rolling next year! Or sooner.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.