Thread: Dear Mtn Bikers,

Dear Mtn Bikers,

Please don't take this letter the wrong way, I'm not trying to inflame...just help. I'm more than happy to move over and slow down as we pass each other. Heck, I'm more than happy to stop and stand to the side of the trail as you pass when it's easier for me to do so. I can also tell you that I'm not entirely thrilled when you start ringing your Barbie Bike Bell at me from up the trail implying I should move out of the way of your eminence so that you are not inconvenienced in any way. Maybe you thought I was a bear and you didn't want to startle me. Heaven forbid you should have to slow down or say hi or excuse me...or dare I even say thanks! Most people I've encountered on the trail will tell you I'm friendly and quick to allow others the right of way, regardless of whose it actually is. I tend to be much less so when said guys and their Barbie bikes speed by indignantly in their leotards. Forgive me in the future if I'm less inclined to make room and please, please forgive me if you end up on (or off) the downhill side....or don't. Maybe I was just a little cantankerous because I was in the middle of a longer hard effort run, but it seemed pretty prickish to me. [/rant]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Some bikers still don't know that the uphill always has the right of way, but many more fail to realize that hikers/runners have the right of way on both down and uphill.

I know the type!
    Most hikers say they like the bell. They say it lets them know someone is there so they dont get suprised. Of course People dont need to keep dinging it over and over that would be annoying as hell.
    I dont ring it to imply move off the trail. I ring it so people know there is a biker coming it tends to piss them off less.
    I also try to yield to joggers or hikers without using my bell if they see me but they usually get off the trail before I can.
    Bikers need to be getting off the trail if they can and saying hi, excuse me and thank you if the hiker moves for them.
    If you see me I wont fly by you. I will say hi and I wont be wearing leotards.
    Happy trail running!

I agree with everything said above. What I hate is when joggers and bikers have their ipods going full volume and any chance of communication becomes impossible.

I agree that this practice of bikers to ding their dinger and expect people to jump out of the way is rude - they make the rest of us who try to be more sharing look bad. Having said that I have a bell on my bike...for riding on the paved pathways in town to courteously warn people and mostly their dogs who they let run all over you without a leash.(theres my rant). I'd rather say 'on your left' as I approach but you cant expect people to not be startled by that so I ding the bell WAY in advance - best thing you can do is set a good example and be tolerant. Youre out to have a good time

Like I said, almost all the guys I come across are cool and very friendly. And I don't mind the bell so much, but not when I'm already looking right at the dude and he's basically letting me know he's not moving or slowing down for me. I pretty much ignored it, but I was a little miffed (busting my butt yesterday wasn't helping). I still like sharing the trail with y'all (mostly )

Riseforms,

Good reminder to be courteous. In general I'm digging seeing the increase in trail runners - more people out enjoying the trails.

I hadn't considered the bells to be taken that way. The general intent is just to let other trail users know we're there. As mentioned, this has become more needed as we encounter more runners using music players. And it's often hard to see the headphones so a bell ring becomes standard practice. Mountain bikers: slow down before ringing the bell so it doesn't appear that you expect the runner to get out of the way.

I appreciate that most hikers / runners are OK with stepping off the trail, even though they have the right of way. It makes sense, if I'm biking down I can zip by quick. But if a runner / hiker doesn't show signs of moving to the side I make way or stop.

Thanks for the feedback, Riseforms.

For the most part the runners and hikers I come across jump out of the way even when I pull over to let them pass but, I do come up behind some wearing the dreaded Ipod that hear absolutely nothing and I just follow until they realize I'm there and let me by. I have noticed alot of bikers who seemingly don't know etiquette and come charging downhill at you in plain sight and apparently expect you to jump off and make way while you're slogging your guts out on a climb. I'm guessing these are newbies and hope that they learn the unwritten rules fast.

All was smooth in trail land today and I even witnessed some appropriate bell usage.
    Of course the hiker the biker was trying to get around was cranking the headphones and still oblivious. The biker and I had a shared laugh, but in retrospect I probably should have alerted the hiker that somebody was trying to get around him. In my defense I was over 3 hours and too many miles in to be thinking straight.

I use the skid technique. And for the record, spandex is just wrong...

As a trail runner and a mtn biker I say right on to what's been posted here. I more often than not come across mtn bikers that seem to think they have the right of way and cruise by with no regard. As a mtn biker I hate that this makes us as a group look bad. Having said that, I do encounter bikers that are cool, too. I think it is an inherent personality thing, more than a educational thing (he's a newbie, maybe he doesnt know)... I think it's an elitist thing .. "I'm so good and so special all the world must bow down to me!" ha. Actually, I come across runners that are the same way - those jockey looking, well trained, sinuey ripped runners that refuse to slow down or move over at all practically pushing me off the trail when I approach (running). What's up with people?!! How 'bout a little civility? (there's my rant!). OH... and dont even get me started on the stupid dogs! I run trails on LEASH DAYS for a reason! Leash your damn dogs and keep them away from me - its the rules, people!!! Grrrrrrrr. (second rant!) OK, I'll stop now! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Oh.... and I LIKE spandex!! ;-)

Dear Mtn Bikers,

Quote Originally Posted by TreeHugger
    Oh.... and I LIKE spandex!! ;-)
    Spandex on women...yes. ;-)

I ride with a bear bell on the canyon trails. (http://www.rei.com/product/721998?pr...:referralID=NA) It's not meant as a 'get outta my way' notice. It's mostly a warning for the horses I encounter to let them know somethings coming before they can see me. It's not terribly loud but does ding all the time (you get used to it). Nearly every equestrian/hiker/runner I've encountered thank me for the warning and I do yield the trail appropriately. I agree with the opinion of some runners having the tunes up too loud. Last year I came up behind a runner on a climb and wanted to pass. He couldn't hear me after several attempts calling out. I had to scream at the top of my lungs to get him to turn around finally.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Spandex on women...yes. ;-)
    Agreed.

I agree with acca spandex on women is ok but there should still be a weight limit. and i love riding with music on but i only ever have one headphone in and its usually pretty quiet so i can hear people

Yes, runners with headphones are annoying.

Funny thing... yesterday I went for a run in Corner Canyon and experienced everything talked about here!! First, I had a guy and his son come cruisin' at me, did NOT EVEN touch his brakes at all, I had to jump out of the way... his son did the same - good modeling by the father. The second incident were a couple of bikers coming from behind. I thought I heard their tires, but wasnt sure, then I heard the lightest "tinging" from their bell, just enough to say, "we're here", then they were all explanatory when they came up, "hey, just lettin' ya know we were comin', didnt want to startle ya or anything"... very nice. Takes all kinds, I guess! :-)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost