Thread: Blast from the Past

Blast from the Past

It amazing how far bikes have come in a relatively short amount of time. I've been in a few DH races and can't imagine racing it on Hard tails and cantilever brakes. It really is amazing to see what they could do with those bikes.

I remember My first bike. A Cannondale aluminum frame all ridged with grip shifting. I bought that thing in 1995. It was a dream. Some one stole if from my back yard in 1999. Sad Day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome video. I remember the days and dollars that I spent trying to make my 1995 proflex more stable for the downhill race courses. I had a lot of superman experiences over the handlebars. To this day I tend to go a little extreme with a steep angled stem, the highest riser handlebars and 1" of spacers between the headset and my bar stem. Anything to keep me from allowing too much weight over the front wheel. I still have a bike with a 62 degree head angle which is unheard of. When I finally felt more prepared to race in 1999, I was the only one in my class that had hydraulic disk brakes. They were made by prostop which was part of mtn cycle. Some of my competitors asked why ? I said that I would still have brake control even with a bent rim. Downhill racing still hasn't changed, You are expected to finish the race, bike intact or not. I have seen several people finish with flat tires, missing spokes, bent handlebars etc. I have even seen one guy carry his own manufactured bike, which his frame was in 2 seperate pieces across the finishline. Yes he even frequents this website.

Totally awesome! Hard to believe with the bike tech we have these days. Props to those guys for pushing well beyond the limits.

Wow!!!!!!! Did those guys have some huge nuts or what? They looked drunk.
    Bikes have changed alot.They were totally out of control on stuff we could ride now with ease.
    Awesome video!

Thanks for the video, had a good laugh. Those guys were CrAzY!