Thread: Hiking Shoes or Running Shoes?

Hiking Shoes or Running Shoes?

Looking for a Waterproof pair of hiking shoes/boots between $60 - $80.

I wear size 12 and will be doing 3 or 4 days hikes this summer/early fall. Also will de doing 2 overnighters and 2 multiple day hikes (2 or 3 nights).

Most hikes will be in the 4 to 8 mile range.

I read on one post that a good pair of Running Shoes will work (I'm not convinced yet).

I hiked last summer in Wind River Mountain Range......26 miles roundtrip in 3 days and my feet suffered!

Thanks for any advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I converted to trail running shoes about two years ago and have never looked back. I do still use my boots on steep/wet/snowy terrain but for long hikes the trails runners are the best.

I had two pairs of vasques and two pair of montrails, the montrails are by far the better shoes. None of my pairs are gore-tex but with all the ventilation and a pair of smartwool socks they dry out in no time.

I also made the switch to trail runners a couple of years ago. Completely changed things up for me. I really like Inov8 Flyroc 310s. They dry out superquick and are perfect for the majority of hiking do around PA and the Northeast.

I have a pair of these. In the "running shoes" category for North Face. They have been great for hiking.

Name:  d9601a84-3490-4ce6&#45.jpg
Views: 8393
Size:  49.2 KB

http://www.rei.com/product/763575

Hiking boots and shoes are like bike saddles, everybody finds what works for them.

The soles of trail runners are too supple for me. When hiking through rocky terrain, my foot bones begin to ache without a rigid sole. Even my Salomon light hikers were borderline, comfortable but only good for 4-8 miles. I've since picked up a pair of Vasque Rangers as light hikers and at this point I think the sole is just stiff enough for them to be good for up to 10 miles at a time. I generally wear lighter backpacking boots for anything longer than 8-10 miles.

I also mess around a lot trying to find the ideal pair of insoles for every pair.

Well....I'm an idiot. I just started shopping and looking online late last night. I thought the "running shoes" people were talking about included something like a Nike Air Max running shoe. Those things are very light and don't last long at all. Now I'm just flat out embarassed. I didn't realize all the different styles.

Thanks for all the advice, opinions and photos!

Any shoes/boots in the $65 to $85 range? Also, I hiked the Wind Rivers last summer during the first week of August.....26 miles round trip. 3 nights. 4 inches of snow during the last night. Everything I took was borrowed from my dad. It was my first real hike in 12 years.

I wore bad shoes and got lots of blisters. My pack was 44 or 48 lbs....don't exactly remember. We hiked 4 miles the first night and set up camp just before dark. I was hiking at a very quick pace....the 4 others in my group made me slow down. HOWEVER, the second day is when I got my arce kicked.

We hiked 9 miles up to the Cook Lakes on day two. This is when I got all my blisters. My shoulders were killing me cuz of so much weight. The fishing at the Cook Lakes was really good......if you like catching 6 to 8" fish. Needless to say I was really frustrated with everything.........except for my tent and bag. My tent and bag stayed 99% dry and warm....enough. On the morning of the last day upon waking up to 4" of snow I was NOT excited to hike all 13 miles back to the truck.

Now that I look back on it I just laugh! Everyone else was prepared except for me. I told my buddy that invited me to never ask me to go up there again! That has obviously changed. I'm going to invest in quality gear. I'm in great physical shape and didn't have any problems with endurance. My pack was WAY too heavy and old and cut into my shoulders. The FIRST thing I did was through my shoes away upon getting to the parking lot.

I've purchased a Kelty Redwing 3100 pack for the 2 night trips I'll be doing this summer. Mummy bag I have works great!

I still need to purchase a lightweight (3 or 4 lbs if possible) tent and clothing. Your opinions and suggestions are, once again, GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Hiking Shoes or Running Shoes?

if your looking for good deals check www.steepandcheap.com twenty times a day. They have had more than a few light weight tents and trail running shoes up there over the last few days....be warned the good deals go quick.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FWIW: I've used a running shoe or an approach shoe for the past 30 years and never been sorry about tossing the heavy boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW: I've used a running shoe or an approach shoe for the past 30 years and never been sorry about tossing the heavy boots.
    Ditto that.

I waffle between pure running shoes for trails and some type of "approach" shoe for stuff that's going to be kinda rocky. My favorite long distance hiking shoe is a La Sportiva Exum. I wouldn't bother with "waterproof". I want them to dry when wet, quickly.

For trail running (what very little I do), I go between whatever cheap Nike air running shoe I can find at an outlet, and, a trail runner.

I only take boots when I know I'm going to need sustained crampon use, and, even then, if I can get away with aluminum crampons that I can fit over a running shoe, I go with them.

Superfeet make me shoes seem to last a bit longer, or, my feet hurt less. Maybe less stone bruising.

Less weight on the back makes a huge difference. Like a friend says, if you aren't wearing all your clothes to sleep in, then, you brought too much stuff...

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

And if you are one of those people that like/need ankle support try a high top cross trainer.

Interesting comments. I have always used trail runners for my hiking needs and they have always worked well with the exception of one experience. My wife and I have done many longish hikes including 8 hours of walking on rock in the swell, the beatout hike in the Wasatch, Up and over Mt. Superior down to Big Cottonwood Canyon, etc. and the runners were pretty solid. Last year when we did a 27 mile 10,000 foot elevation change hike in the Japan Alps, my feet were hammered. I just purchased the Kayland Vertigo Light for those types of hikes, multi-day wind river hikes, etc. because I wanted a little more support and they are still super light. I have yet to try them and I will still use my runners for most hikes, but thought they were worth having in my quiver. http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge...035&mv_pc=r126

I too switched to trail runners many years ago and never looked back. One thing I would consider when choosing footwear is your pack weight. Your pack at 40+ lbs is on the heavy side and for that your feet might still be better off with hiking boots (making sure they fit right and are properly broken in of course). I'd really work on cutting your pack weight down a little more and then when you switch over to trail runners your feet won't pay the price. Just a thought though.

Purchase made!

I ended up buying the Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid.....seems to have really good reviews. I tried on the regular Ventilator and a Columbia boot. The Mid was the most comfortable and felt the best on a mock rock hiking hill in-store.

Thanks to all for feedback and advice.

From 1853 to the present day t has continually astonished and delighted consumers with its merchandise innovation. A relentless pioneering spirit led the business from its bottom within small Swiss Jura city of Le Locle, to some presence in 150 countries. From its 1st pocket enjoy with two time zones in 1853 to its revolutionary touch-screen modern advances T-Touch watch, Tissot has introduced a sequence of firsts in conditions of technology, materials, and design, going as much as developing wrist watches produced from rock, wood, and pearl.From evening one, tissot touch sea[/url] was also dedicated to getting its innovations to destinations nicely previous the Swiss borders. In 1858, the founder's son, Charles-Emile Tissot, left Le Locle for Russia and effectively marketed Tissot savonnette pocket wrist watches throughout this large and influential empire.

Any casual event from hanging out at the club to going on a dinner date can be done in the right sneakers. The comfort of sneakers in a shoe that is stylish and classy enough to wear anywhere means that you�ve found a great pair of sneakers. When you can go straight from the gym to a get together without anyone knowing you�ve found an element of your wardrobe that will serve you well.Dark colored ash sneaker[/url] that are designed to look more like a dress shoe or a dressier version of a casual shoe are great for work and even going out to a classier establishment than your local fast food restaurant. But they aren�t stiff or tight, they have supportive midsoles and rubberized soles that are easy on the feet no matter how long you wear them.Believe it or not, many sneakers are a major fashion staple. ash shoes online[/url] are worn with jeans and shorts, slacks and even dresses these days. Popular fashion includes all different styles of sneakers for both sexes and all ages. From sedate and classic styles to neon and brightly colored fashion sneakers you have a lot of sneakers to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by coots View Post
    I also made the switch to trail runners a couple of years ago. Completely changed things up for me. I really like Inov8 Flyroc 310s. They dry out superquick and are perfect for the majority of hiking do around PA and the Northeast.
    I've been using the Inov8 Roclite 295's now for 4-5 years for fast and light hiking. They have been great! Problem is that they don't quite fit your 60-80 dollar category.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...-295.html?L=27

Inov8 product is well built, lightweight and sturdy. Recently I sold a pair of Roclite 400's to a friend that took them to Nepal. He trekked over 100 miles and bagged 1 peak over 20,000' using the boots. After quite a bit of use including some crampon stuff the boots show minimal wear.

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Pro...-GTX.html?L=27

18. Likes zzyzx liked this post
    I recently purchased running shoes which are perfect for running. Now planning to have comfortable workout clothing for gym. Have seen a reputed online store that is giving them on affordable price. Will buy them from there only.