Thread: RAT - Ride Around Timpanogos

RAT - Ride Around Timpanogos

Has anybody out there done this? I'm not sure whether this is a request for beta or an invite. I guess it depends on the replies I get.

The Tour of Utah rides the Alpine Loop on Sunday, August 22nd. They'll be hitting the summit at about 1:30PM and I plan to be there.

I have a site reserved in the Mt. Timpanogos Campground for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night and will be doing distributed camping for a couple of days if I arrive earlier like I expect to. I'll have my mountain bike with me and possibly a roadie bike too.

I plan to hit the Timpanogos Cave National Monumnet Intro to Caving tour for kicks and I'd also like to do the RAT (Ride Around Timpanogos) if there's anybody out there who knows it well and won't leave me in the dust. It's a bit much for a solo ride with my not being entirely familiar with the loop.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did it last year. It's not a loop ride if that's what you're thinking. You'll end up in Provo Canyon. I'd go with you but it's not one I'd like to do again any time soon, but hit me up as it gets closer. Maybe by then I will have changed my mind! Don't let me discourage you however. I enjoyed most of the trail and consider myself a strong rider for a 50 year old. Long story, but I got 'shanghaied' along the trail and wasn't properly prepared for the length or terrain, mostly the VERY overgrown vegetation that beat the tar out of me. When I got home I was one giant welt, from head to toe, from the unavoidable stinging nettle. I also didn't have enough water or food, but again, wasn't planning on riding this route. There are better, more accessible trails in AF Canyon that won't leave you exhausted and beat up. I'd be happy to take you on one of those.

From what little info I've managed to find I kinda figured it ended up in Provo Canyon with a mix of mostly pavement and maybe a little dirt back around to Aspen Grove. The problem lies in that I haven't a clue how you would get from the saddle behind big Big Baldy down to Provo Canyon. Is the Dry Canyon trail it?

I'm 46 myself, strong enough to lay down the odd, under 4:50 century at the right time of year. On the other hand, I get my @$$ handed to me by the legit racer boys throughout most of the year. Last year was my first roadie bike ride around the Alpine Loop and I had to dodge raindrops to get it in.

Year before I summited Timpanogos from Timpooneke and rode the Aspen Grove trail to the summit between all the bbq'ing, shutterbugging, and simple relaxation. A long weekend up there before the busy season hits at work is getting to be a habit.

I'm interested, but too soon to say for sure if I can make it.

I would go counterclockwise. From the Mt. Timpanogos campground go up the Aspen Grove trail. At the top you have several choise of trails, but I'd go out the Ridge trail then down Pine Hollow then down the Salamander Flats trail to the Timpooneke trailhead / campground. The Timp Perimeter trail (151) starts here, but I'd take the road and pickup the trail at the first crossing (because this section of trail is a mess and steep). Take the Timp Perimeter all the way around to Battle Creek. Some people like to go up and over the saddle of Big Baldy, but I MUCH prefer to got down Battle Creek (050) about a mile then take a left on Curly Spring (051), which has some steep climbs getting out of Battle Creek but after you reach the top it's a nice downhill. Before reaching Dry Canyon you take a left on one of two trails that take you down to the Dry Canyon trail (049). Pick up 051 again and climb south then connect with the Great Western Trail (033) and take it down to the Provo Parkway trail and go up canyon until it ends and then you're on roads up to Sundance and back to your campground.

There are a few tricky places, but overall navigation isn't crazy. If the Dry Canyon area is your concern I can get you GPS tracks for those trails.

Funny, Kris and I just talked about this last night after our USFS committee meeting. If Kris goes, I'll PROBABLY go also. How's that for being non-committal?