Thread: Behind the Reef

Behind the Reef

Has one ever been on Behind the Reef - Road?

Some years ago we drove the easy stretch from Temple Mountain to Chute Canyon finding the western climb out of Chute Canyon much to difficult for the Trailblazer we ownder at this time.

Last year we had an H3 and after removing the annoying running boards it was pretty good.

We decided to give the road a second try. This time we traveled down from McKay Flat on Horse Valley Road to the intersection with Behind the Reef - Road at 12S 0513790, 4272620.

Heading east we tried to reach Chute Canyon. It was late in the afternoon with a wonderful light on the cliffs.

Late lunch break nearby the Horse Valley - Behind the Reef junction

From the junction to Bell Canyon

Miners home at bell canyon. What a setting!

Bell Canyon

How to travel a slot by horse?

Behind the Reef - Road

Chute Buttress

Upper chute Canyon. What a beautiful light!

More to see

Chute Canyon and the better part of the road

Descend into Chute Canyon

The obstacle seen years ago is still in place.

No risk please! Our decision: Back via Horse Valley Road even if we had to do this in the dark.

Short before sunset

Umbra

Henry Mountains, Factory Butte

Riding into the night

Some additional pictures and a story (in German)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome! You got some beautiful photos with the low evening sun and twilight approaching. That one obstacle near Chute Canyon is a killer for most full-sized vehicles. And you were so close to the graded road! At least you got to see nearly the entire road.

I did Behind the Reef on an ATV in 2007, and have been meaning to get back there again. Perhaps this will be the year that I finally do it. Thanks for the great trip report!

love this shot
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    Awesome! You got some beautiful photos with the low evening sun and twilight approaching. That one obstacle near Chute Canyon is a killer for most full-sized vehicles. And you were so close to the graded road! At least you got to see nearly the entire road.
    I had a sledge hammer and a chisel on board! Give me two hours!

But that might be trouble? Is chopping such a rock a crime? Sorry for the question - we are from Germany, do not know all applicable rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchcanyon View Post
    I had a sledge hammer and a chisel on board! Give me two hours!

But that might be trouble? Is chopping such a rock a crime? Sorry for the question - we are from Germany, do not know all applicable rules!
    It wouldn't be a crime, it is literally chipped away every time someone hits an axle or rocker panel on it but I think the more acceptable solution would be to stack rocks and then unstack them when you are done. still about an hour of work.. that said I know a couple of old timers that talked about blasting rocks out of their way :)...

We did that same drive last weekend. It was really amazing. The road was great the whole way until you decend down into Chute Canyon. My Wrangler with a small lift and 33" tires went right through there. It would definately be a bit rough for a stock SUV.

Thanks for the great report. If you hadn't posted this, I probably would have skipped it. It was really worth while.

Great shots

Beautiful photos, thanks for the trip report!
    Rock stacking and unstacking is acceptable. That way the obstacle remains for those more adventurous drivers (with better equipped vehicles) that enjoy overcoming obstacles