Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: facebook

facebook

i have never joined facebook for a variety of reasons i suppose, but i suppose that list is now longer

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/05/facebook-rogue/

there's going to be a revolution one day if these companies like google and facebook keep abusing privacy

3 picards for poor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Not too worry; Facebook is on top now. AOL was once on top. Yahoo was once on top. MySpace was once on top. If Facebook thinks they will remain on the throne, they are being naive. All glory is fleeting.

The real trick is to divine who the next Facebook will be, and invest in them, then sell off before the next next Facebook comes along.

I've been thinking about deleting my facebook. Really the biggest reason I keep it now is so I can keep an eye on what my kids post.... I've defriended just about everyone else.... nothing personal... but I could careless if the rest of you are drinking a cup of coffee...

How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account
    http://www.wikihow.com/Permanently-D...cebook-Account

And I HATE the facebook button taking up space front and center on Bogley.... what a waste....

I also cant stand the FB link on the posts, when the firewall at work blocks it the post is all jacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    i have never joined facebook for a variety of reasons i suppose, but i suppose that list is now longer
    Likewise. I don't have the time. And like Ice, I also don't care what you are eating nor do I want a huggy bear or some such thing being sent to me. I don't want to feel like I have to respond.

Also, I may not have any friends. That would be devistating....

Worse than hearing about mundane coffee is when someone posts how boring their life is. Post that and I'll block you for sure because you're right.

Mountain Misanthrope ScoutColorado's Avatar
    Ice, your grandma poked you and you didn't poke her back.
    And you other guys haven't visited my garden in almost 2 days! How will you know how good my corn is doing.

Stan Marsh had it exactly right. Even Betty White who hosted SNL due to a Facebook effort called it a colossal waste of time.

But the privacy concerns alone are right on. I signed up just to look at someone else's page, and before giving them any information, they came up with 40 friends for me - some from canyoneering, some from bands I've play in, some high school people I haven' t seen in years, some bizarre people I have briefly known in the past and many inexplicable others. I found out the first thing it does is browse through your address book and make all sorts of connections based on whatever.
    They want me to set up a FB page at work, and my recommendation is no.

BTW, I just posted on FB about how I'm sorting my rapides for the next canyon trip - fascinating stuff, you guys should check it out.........

Many of my friends who were very early adopters (in the tech industry) of Facebook have deleted or are thinking about deleting their account. Facebook has become too mainstream for the cool kids.

I use Facebook to post liberal rants and consider myself a failure if I'm not unfriended at least 5 times a week.

I think my entire family in Utah has me on "hide."

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I also cant stand the FB link on the posts, when the firewall at work blocks it the post is all jacked up.
    Same here...SO LAME!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I use Facebook to post liberal rants and consider myself a failure if I'm not unfriended at least 5 times a week.

Best use of Facebook ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Don't worry, Bogley has an "Ignore this user" feature also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Don't worry, Bogley has an "Ignore this user" feature also.
    Haha! My favorite vBulletin feature is "Tachy Goes to Coventry." Haven't used it yet but the mere idea amuses me no end.

Do you ever play with user titles just because you can?

P.S. I'm Andrea Marwedel on FB.

after reading this I started thinking about my own facebook use and well its uselessness, ignoring the privacy concerns facebook and social networking sites in general are just another way to waste time and remove the face to face or even voice to voice personal interaction, while this tends to be the trend of the digital age I decided that I didn't want to be part of this trend anymore so I deleted my facebook profile.

I keep my Friends list very small and tight and constantly go through the Friends list and delete people I haven't talked to in the last month. I usually just use FB now for sharing pictures with friends and family and my privacy is set to Friends only on everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I keep my Friends list very small and tight and constantly go through the Friends list and delete people I haven't talked to in the last month. I usually just use FB now for sharing pictures with friends and family and my privacy is set to Friends only on everything.
    So that's why you de-friended me Alex?

I like FB! I like posting pictures, checking out other people's trip pix, hooking up with folks for trips, finding partners for trips, as well as to alleviate boredom & at times to stir up trouble - like what Spooky Does....

I'd never watch videos like this if it weren't for FB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7MuwPlOiNQ

FB is FUN!

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I only have a FB account for a few reasons: 1) because my family seems to now use it as a substitute for email and comm, 2) to screw with others and 3) to still comm with old Army buddies.

Bogley BigShot
    I did it for Bogley. lol

Now I use it to find out what my kids are up to. I like I can just check it out on my phone while in a line or something.

FB is a complete waste of time. I spend too much time on it. BUT it does help keep me connected to family members, friends, outdoor friends and belly dance friends that I normally would be distant from. I am up to date on all kinds of happenings and I love it for that. Regarding privacy, I've just made it a rule to not join every stupid link that someone recommends me to and I did create lists to control who can see what. It's all good. As a matter of fact, I LIKE this thread.