Thread: TR: Multi-Sport Weekend, Powder in Wasatch, Biking, 4x4, Hiking & Climbing in Moab,

TR: Multi-Sport Weekend, Powder in Wasatch, Biking, 4x4, Hiking & Climbing in Moab,

Not really sure where this one goes since it is 5 sports (snowboarding, 4x4, biking, hiking, climbing)! Last weekend, I had one hell of a needed break from work. My soon to be bro-in-law was having his bachelor party and the plan was to go to Moab. I was going to skip out on work early to head down around 11am but the snow that fell the night before kept us North for most of the day. Snowbird got 33 inches in 24 hours and we were up there first thing. Had an amazing day on Peruvian, Mineral Basin and Baldy. This video is taken on Baldy:

We then drove down to Moab and got down around 7pm. We were camping on Potash Road so we decided to load up the beers and take a drive up past the Potash plants and up the Shafer trail into Canyonlands. We missed the sunset from the top but had a nice little BBQ right off the side of the Shafer trail. We didn't see anyone the whole time we were up there (except for some weird glowing orb, above us, seriously, I can't explain it and only 2 of us saw it). We headed back the same way. The trail took about an hour each way and was pretty mellow.

The next day we mounted up and hit the Lower Porcupine Singletrack from the cattle guard. It had snowed 3 inches up there the day before so the top was a little muddy. The groom to be took a nice little 25 foot mudslide for life into a tree just below the notch. The trail was awesome and was a good first true Moab experience for me. I have only done the Slickrock Practice Loop and the White Rim Trail previously. I got some footage of some guys doing some crazy stuff towards the end and my buddies rocking a new unreleased Airborne Taka through some technical stuff. When we got down, we had 2 hours to kill while we waited for our buddies to shuttle so we tackled a growler from Squatters among other things. When they got back, we cooked up some brats and headed for a hike up Negro Bill canyon. We only went up about a mile because it was getting dark but it is a nice oasis in the desert.

After staying up way too late around the campfire again, two of our crew left the next morning. 3 of us took a drive up by Longs Canyon (I believe) where Jug Handle Arch is located to scope out some climbing for a future day. We then went back to Wall Street to climb '30 seconds over Potash' and another crack that I can't remember the name of. It was my first crack climb and I did well. It started hailing on us while the groom to be was on the wall (he finished though) so we decided to call it a weekend. We hit up Rays in Green River for another first on the way home.

Fantastic.
    Name:  04302010_moab-2..jpg
Views: 166
Size:  242.5 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-3..jpg
Views: 158
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-14..jpg
Views: 165
Size:  305.8 KB

Mudslide:
    Name:  04302010_moab-15..jpg
Views: 153
Size:  362.3 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-5..jpg
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-6..jpg
Views: 181
Size:  300.6 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-12..jpg
Views: 156
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-13..jpg
Views: 152
Size:  175.2 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-18..jpg
Size:  149.6 KB

My first crack climb:
    Name:  04302010_moab-32..jpg
Views: 157
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  04302010_moab-19..jpg
Views: 150
Size:  133.0 KB

Notice the wet rock:
    Name:  04302010_moab-34..jpg
Views: 169
Size:  145.5 KB

More pics here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=864805d20f

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like an epic weekend.

I've still never been on Porc Rim

wow great pics and a great report, sounds like the weekend was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Beech that is a must, start as high as possible and enjoyed the longest down hill on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

looks like we should try to set up a mid-summer Whole Enchilada ride..........

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Has anyone rode from Burro Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Has anyone rode from Burro Pass?
    This year there's still way too much snow up there. Have done it before though (august & september) and it is great!

The way this year has gone, I'm going to have more vacation than I know how to use in July, August, and September. Finally ordered summer wheels/tires for the Subie and they're backordered into June. Road tripping on the snow treads is a bad idea as well as traveling sans A/C and radio in the old truck.

So here I sit...

This year there's still way too much snow up there. Have done it before though (august & september) and it is great!
    How long did it take?