Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pain Pill & Addiction

My dad just passed away last Sunday night due to a double stroke he had January 1st. He was in a lot of pain the last two weeks. The skilled nursing facility he was at in Ogden was pretty good about keeping his pain managed, even with him not able to speak. I think they realized (like we did) that he wasn't going to recover so, they wanted to keep him comfortable. After he went comatose Sunday morning, they gave him a dose of morphine every hour. We were grateful for that.
    I have been having serious chronic back pain the last 3 weeks. I didn't do anything to it that I know of, other than slow tipping over on my fatbike a couple of times. I've tried everything- stretching, yoga, massaging and lots of ibuprofin and tylenol. Nothing has helped. I finally ordered some CBD oil capsules from a reputable company out of Colorado. I have taken one capsule per day for only two days now and I am totally pain free! I am astounded that it has worked and worked so fast!
    Are we there yet?

2. Likes Sombeech, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

^^^ Sorry about your dad.

About the CBD - have you noticed any other effects? A co-worker of mine also ordered CBD from Colorado to treat his anxiety.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever, then again I've only been on them for two days.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    My dad just passed away last Sunday night due to a double stroke he had January 1st. He was in a lot of pain the last two weeks. The skilled nursing facility he was at in Ogden was pretty good about keeping his pain managed, even with him not able to speak. I think they realized (like we did) that he wasn't going to recover so, they wanted to keep him comfortable. After he went comatose Sunday morning, they gave him a dose of morphine every hour. We were grateful for that.
    I have been having serious chronic back pain the last 3 weeks. I didn't do anything to it that I know of, other than slow tipping over on my fatbike a couple of times. I've tried everything- stretching, yoga, massaging and lots of ibuprofin and tylenol. Nothing has helped. I finally ordered some CBD oil capsules from a reputable company out of Colorado. I have taken one capsule per day for only two days now and I am totally pain free! I am astounded that it has worked and worked so fast!
    I'm sorry to hear about your dad tallsteve. It no doubt has been a tough few months for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    So we followed the repeated advice of you and others to seek another doctor, and it has paid dividends. He managed to find a doctor who prescribed a pretty large quantity of Percocet 10's.
    So how many private messages are you getting now, asking which doctor it was

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    My dad just passed away last Sunday night
    Sorry bud

You guys won't believe the unmitigated nonsense that this thing just morphed into. Absolutely unfriggin believable.

I've spent the day in the emergency room and I don't have time to expound, but oh hell...

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    You guys won't believe the unmitigated nonsense that this thing just morphed into. Absolutely unfriggin believable.

I've spent the day in the emergency room and I don't have time to expound, but oh hell...

Involving the prescription he recently received?

I believe it... I've ran the refuse to prescribe opiate gauntlet with me father... it's a long story but it has an ugly ending so there is that.

So my dad is discharged from the hospital and five days later he's just feeling sick, bloated, no appetite, and in pain of course. He's really lethargic and doesn't have enough energy to get up and walk around. So his doctor calls wanting an update...he recommends we go back to the hospital. So we go to the emergency room, and sit there for 4 hours while 5 different nurses and two different doctors ask him a bunch of questions and run a bunch of tests. Finally, the attending doctor comes in and the first question out of his mouth is asking about what medications he's taking. We tell him he's taking an antibiotic, something for his bloating, and Percocet 5mg. My mom is the "keeper of the meds," administering them as directed on the label, and his last Percocet dose (5mg) was 6 hours ago, at 8:00am. So, the attending hems and haws and then, using his vast medical knowledge and training concludes that the probable reason for my dad's condition "was the medication."

Shocked, but keeping myself composed I clarified: "So he's back in the hospital because of the 5mg of Percocet he took this morning?"

He replied that he was almost positive that was true, and then left. Before he got out the door, I insisted that it couldn't have been the Percocet. That fell on deaf ears, because 20 minutes later his nurse comes in and declares that she's "gonna give him some medication, and then we'll see...." My mom asks what the medication is...

"It's a medication called 'Narcan'" she says....

It was at that point that I erupted. They couldn't find what was wrong with my dad so they decided to pin it on Opiates, and treat him for Opiate drug overdose.

I kept insisting that couldn't possibly be the case. The nurse insisted that "I'd be surprised..."

So, she administers Narcan, expecting my dad's eyes to pop open and suddenly arise from his bed like Lazarus. 1 minute goes by, 5, 10.....nothing. No change.

"Guess it's not an overdose, like I insisted, huh....?!"

Lesson learned: Do not go to the IHC hospital in Murray, since they are mostly incompetent.

So what happened next? I hope they didn't discharge him after Narcan, did they continue to troubleshoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    So what happened next? I hope they didn't discharge him after Narcan, did they continue to troubleshoot?

Nope. They just shrugged their shoulders and discharged him. They couldn't find what was wrong with him, and their only theory of opiate overdose was debunked, so they had nothing left to do but to let him walk.

Honestly, my dad could have gotten better medical treatment from my nephew's treehouse doctor's office, with leaves for band-aids, and Life-Savers for pills. Would have been much cheaper, and the result would have been the same.

It still just irks me that their #1 go-to diagnosis right off the bat was an opiate overdose -- contrary to the insistence of two people who have intimate knowledge of this patient for decades. It's like they first assume that whatever case that walks through their door must first be assumed to be opiate overdose, and if that's not the case then consider other options.

NOT saying that I would, but what exactly is the basis for a malpractice claim? Because the level of "care" received by my dad was abysmal at best. And the kicker is that my parents get to pay for that crap. If their care were served up as a dish at a restaurant it would've been sent back to the kitchen and payment refused.

Last edited by rockgremlin; 02-27-2019 at 06:03 AM.

I'm sorry you're going through this. At least nobody called the police to arrest your mom for being his dealer or something.

It’s starts with pain pills...

——

Meth seizure valued at $612,000 on the street, police say

https://www.ksl.com/article/46537135...eet-police-say

[shaking my head..]

———

Wasp spray used as meth alternative, contributed to three overdoses

https://www.abc4.com/news/national/w...ree-overdoses/

Wow.

Still not as outrageous as huffing poop though...

What kind of trailer park scientist discovers these alternatives?

Tyler Skaggs' toxicology shows late Angels pitcher had fentanyl, oxycodone, alcohol in his system at time of death. He was 27.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ls/2167436001/

Fentanyl is the atomic bomb of killer drugs. It is truly the devil. Bad, BAD stuff.
    Life is Good

Speaking of Fentanyl, why can't they use that as a lethal injection drug? Why do they have to use some complex, over complicated cocktail in lethal injections? Just load them up with a bunch of Fentanyl.