Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pain Pill & Addiction

basically it is a pace maker type thing that i will have control of. It sends out an electrical stimulation that over powers the nerve . So I will feel a slight twitch from the electrical impulse but if i feel any pain it will be very limited. they are used mostly in the lower back but my doc has been using them with great success in the groin o Wednesday i will be pain fee and able to dump the pain meds thank god...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pain Pill & Addiction

Wow - that's great.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

Yes i am very much thrilled. I had a temp one implanted 2 weeks ago and it was removed a week ago. The most amazing thing. Zero pain for a week it was the first time i did not hurt in about 4 years. soon I should be able to go play again and start losing some of this stinking weight i have slowly putting on.
    Sorry you can now have your thread back
    Steve

I had the left trigeminal nerve in my head taken care of by having glycerol injected into it. The needle went through my cheek, into the base of my brain where the trigeminal ganglion is at, and then I was woken up so they could x-ray the procedure while I was sitting. The neurosurgeon injected glycerol into the ganglion and I could feel it moving into every branch of the nerve. Amazing stuff. Besides a scab on my cheek from the 16 gauge needle (8" long...scarier than hell) I had no problems and the trigeminal neuralgia I'd been dealing with for nearly 10 years was gone.

I didn't use narcotics for that kind of nerve pain, though, because they didn't work. I had to use anti-seizure meds, which DID make me high in an awful way. Double vision, stumbling around...terrible stuff.

I think when you're in that kind of pain, especially with nerve pain, you'll do just about anything to make it end. I've never judged anybody for taking anything...not after experiencing trigeminal neuralgia.

Jesus please us!
    You got pain pills for that?
    about 8 years ago I was doing some free climbing on a small wall near where I lived. No ropes, only about 30 feet high at the top and pretty easy on most parts to climb.
    I fell from about 3 feet below the top and landed, rolled back, smacked my head on a rock and busted it open.
    My ankle was the size of my thigh.
    I knew I was hurt. cleaned up the blood and tied a bandanna around my head to keep blood out of my eyes and drove my truck home with out ever using the clutch! You better know how to drive a stick to pull that one off! ten miles (mostly highway) and I was home. super glued the eyebrow shut and laid down. Got the shoe off, and then it hurt even more!
    3 days later I decided it was broken and not just sprained. Called a friend who had made a 60 mile round trip drive 2 times to bring me smokes and booze while I laid off and was trapped at home. She took me to the hospital and it was broken, cracked through the metatarsals in the top of my left foot and made a few new bone chips in the joint as well.
    I had kept it packed in ice for most of that time and they got a cast on it before I left.
    I got jack for pain killers!
    They told me to take tylenol!
    Now that the bones are set the pain will ease off, you just need over the counter meds!
    that foot hurt for another 3 weeks before it ever stopped throbbing and hurting.

I got a whole lecture on drug abuse and the fact my list of drugs I once did is to long to list its easier to list the ones I never test drove. I'll save that lecture in case anyone really needs it and what it does to you. At this point be glad you got pain meds. Now be glad you got off them before your brain got broken and started finding ways to keep you on them.

I took my pain pills for 3 days after some recent surgery. I can't stand the feeling of loss of control. I quit taking them also because of the side affects. I can't even comprehend how someone could become addicted to pain pills, but I know that many do. I think that I will just save them for any future accidents that could occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
    Definitely wouldn't have burned them. Ya put them in a safe keeping spot until the next time you get back from a canyoneering trip and your feet are blistered, your muscles are aching, and you feel the oncoming of a nasty cold. They also make a sweet addition to your possibles bag...

My feelings exactly!

Iv had every pain pill known to man! Wish I had more of them!
    I had some oxy, lasted me over a year with only 20 pills.
    If you can not control when and how much you take, best to never take them a second time. If ever a script is offered to me by a doc I fill it, never turn them down, I might not really need it now, but I will sooner or later.
    I keep them with the guns, under lock and key, never in the medicine cabinet, I got kids in high school and I know the crap I did then, best to make sure they can never repeat my mistakes.

I chased this thread down as it is currently relevant.

So my dad ended up in the hospital last week with Pancreatitis. He's still there now, and they've been treating his pain with Dilaudid and Oxycodone against their will. I say against their will because my dad will be laying in bed, writhing from the pain and moaning and groaning, and they always suggest that he first take Tylenol. He has to specifically ask for narcotics before they'll grudgingly comply. He's been there for almost a week, and now they're going to discharge him with ZERO pain medication. Nevermind that he's still in crippling pain.

I mean, if he could treat his pain with Tylenol he wouldn't be in the hospital. Hello.....?

This "Opiademic" has gotten way out of control. Are there people out there that abuse the system for narcotics? Sure, but folks like my dad who are in legitimate need are the losers in this situation.

I have several friends who live on the shadier side of the law who could pretty easily get narcotics underhandedly....is that the route we need to consider? It's pretty sad that the medical community is driving normal folks to the streets to get what they can't obtain by legal channels.

So what now? What do you do when your doctor refuses pain management and you don't have a rock star medical attorney in the family? Just suck it up? Just live in excruciating pain because God forbid they prescribe an Opiate? This is ridiculous.

Help.....
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

While there is valid concern of the Opioid epidemic, most of the opinions are ill informed. Fentanyl is to blame for the majority of famous "opiod" overdoses in the past 4 years, not the prescription Percocet and Lortab.

His best bet is to go see a pain physician, and confirm before the appointment that they do prescribe opioids. These will also be the very same experts to help come down and ease off of the medication with minor withdrawals.

In my experienced opinion, most of the opioid addictions come from surgery patients, given 60 -120 pills without any instruction of how to taper down at the end. They run out, and all of a sudden have this addiction they were not aware of. To the streets now. What's that, pills are a dollar per milligram of oxy? 10 bucks per Percocet 10? Well how about Heroin? My guy sells that too, but it's more effective for less money. I don't want to inject it, I'm not a "drug user". I'll just smoke it.

And so on.

The public is misinformed of how this crisis began. Opioid medication has a sure place in medicine, it helps a lot of people out, responsible people.

For those that don't know what Kratom is, it's the best thing to use when you're out of opiates. It gets expensive though, but hopefully your dad can find some use for it and come off of opiates.

This is an interesting excerpt from somebody who knows the molecular makeup of opiates.

Language

It is from this larger podcast. He explains how Fentanyl was created, by whom, and why. He actually had very good intentions, trying to help opiate addicts.

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I was wondering if the docs are starting to hold back prescribing painkillers because of all the negative publicity....

That scares the hell out of me as I was very thankful for the Percocet prescribed to me after my ACL reconstruction. I've had a few other times I was thankful as well. Truly a miracle drug to manage pain.

All they need to do is stop prescribing so many at one time.

Well I'm here to tell ya -- if you go into the hospital for anything that requires pain medication you're screwed. They push Tylenol like candy, but will only grudgingly administer narcotics -- even if you're groaning and writhing in pain. Right, like if you're in such agony that you're literally writhing and moaning, Tylenol is not going to do shit.

It's like they assume that everyone who goes into the hospital complaining of pain symptoms are drug seekers, only out to get a fix.

And if by some miracle they do administer narcotics, you better pray that you don't need them once you're discharged from the hospital. My dad was finally discharged yesterday, after a week of hell. Guess what they gave him for pain should it return?

Nothing...absolutely F'ing nothing.

Sick and tired of reading about the "Opiate Crisis" every week in the news. Cuz now it's gotten to the point where doctors just refuse to prescribe any narcotics for pain.....period. So, if you're in pain, oh well...sucks for you.

I stayed with my dad overnight twice and he even had a nurse one night who adamantly claimed that "she couldn't give him anything but Tylenol for his pain." Even though he was very clearly in pain. Red faced, moaning, and writhing in pain.

My dad's a damned Vietnam veteran, he doesn't fit the mold of "drug seeking junkie out for a fix." Give the man some F'ing pain killers, he fought for your country!"

I mean -- what recourse does anybody have in a situation like that? Seriously...
    @Scott Card - is there a legal channel that could be pursued in situations like this?

Something's gotta give..

I don't know of any way to get opiates except by prescription. Get another doctor. Is there a history of opiate use with your father? Was his treatment at the V.A.? I am only asking because I have not heard of this type of behavior. If he has something on his chart or record that may be a reason for not prescribing. I also have heard the V.A. is pretty skidish on opiate prescriptions. I know the pendulum is swinging back towards not prescribing, but I had not heard that it had swung that far. I know when my mom passed away a couple of months ago, they had no problem giving her morphine to keep her comfortable while she died.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I don't know of any way to get opiates except by prescription. Get another doctor. Is there a history of opiate use with your father? Was his treatment at the V.A.? I am only asking because I have not heard of this type of behavior. If he has something on his chart or record that may be a reason for not prescribing. I also have heard the V.A. is pretty skidish on opiate prescriptions. I know the pendulum is swinging back towards not prescribing, but I had not heard that it had swung that far. I know when my mom passed away a couple of months ago, they had no problem giving her morphine to keep her comfortable while she died.
    This was the IHC medical complex just off I-15 in Murray. My dad has zero history with opiates. None whatsoever.

When he was first admitted they gave him morphine, but that didn't do anything. His pain was so intense that two shots of morphine didn't even touch the pain. Finally they put him on Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) which is extremely strong stuff. But he had to plead with them to readminister the dose or the pain would come flooding back. But before they did, they would always want to just give him Tylenol. I swear, they must own stock in Tylenol, because that's always their go-to medication in every situation.

If my dad were somebody of fame or fortune there's no way he would've been done like that. Do you think celebrities writhe in pain when they go to the hospital? #MichaelJackson

I think if I were dying of cancer, had 1 month left to live, and requested opiates to make life comfortable, I'm pretty sure there would still be a stink about giving them out.

Ooh... don't want to get addicted to them with 1 month to live. Yikes, let's try Essential Oils instead.

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    THIS IS WHY THERE'S A DRUG PROBLEM IN AMERICA!!!

Because people will eventually go to the streets to get what is legally being denied to them.

"Opiate" has now become a byword defining immorality and criminal behavior. The use of them should be shunned and avoided, because only dirty, skeeving, fiending, street vagrants use opiates now. Anyone else should rise above their use, and shame be upon anyone who should find themselves in a situation of need for them.

My moral scruples go right out the window when it comes to watching a loved one writhe in pain because they're being denied medication. I'm willing to go to whatever means necessary...and really, who wouldn't?

Here's why your father can't get proper medication.... it seems the hospitals have set opioid prescriptions at an arbitrary number and it's no longer based on need.... and to top it off it's a bragging point to them... I guess your dad should have got there earlier before they hit their quota for the day....

Intermountain Healthcare cuts prescribed opioids by 30 percent
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=46495385&nid=960

Yeah I read that. Makes me sick. Some lady's son died from an overdose. Yeah, tragic. But don't punish the thousands of us out there with legitimate need.

The comments section is full of folks like me who are sick of being denied much needed medication.

Like I said, get another doctor. The opiate problem is real, which creates a major dilemma. I just got off the phone about 10 minutes ago with a person who is about to go through a divorce due to an opiate addiction. This person lost family and spouse. But to blanket-state that it is a good thing to reduce opiates across the board seems to be a bad policy. Doctors should be closely monitoring individual patients on opiates but when there is a need, doctors should be free to prescribe. This is a tough issue and heart breaking for those in need. Sorry, Rock for what you and your father are going through. One other possible help, I had a client who went to this website https://www.endo-c.com/ and is doing the study. In 30 days he went from 5 opiates a day to 3. It is a medical grade CBD pill and part of a sanctioned medical study. This stuff seems to really work for chronic pain. It may help take the edge off for your dad. Full disclosure: I am legal council for this company.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    But to blanket-state that it is a good thing to reduce opiates across the board seems to be a bad policy. Doctors should be closely monitoring individual patients on opiates but when there is a need, doctors should be free to prescribe.

YES!!! Totally agree!!

So we followed the repeated advice of you and others to seek another doctor, and it has paid dividends. He managed to find a doctor who prescribed a pretty large quantity of Percocet 10's. That shocked the socks off me. Usually, if a doctor is going to prescribe they won't approve a large quantity all at once, but he did. I'm really relieved that he found this doctor because I have never in my entire life seen my dad in this kind of pain. It was surreal. The primal urge to deliver relief to a close family member in that degree of agony surpasses everything...even laws and ethics. The fact that others -- qualified physicians trained in their field -- couldn't see that was even more unbelievable.

Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath? Just goes right out the window in times of Opiate crisis, huh?

Gonna check out the CBD option, thanks for the suggestion.

24. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post