Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain Pill & Addiction

Definitely wouldn't have burned them. Ya put them in a safe keeping spot until the next time you get back from a canyoneering trip and your feet are blistered, your muscles are aching, and you feel the oncoming of a nasty cold. They also make a sweet addition to your possibles bag...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Re: Pain Pill & Addiction

I disagree Reedus. There is a reason that he felt compelled to go through the effort to burn them from his wheel chair or crutches. He did the right thing under the circumstance and I respect his decision.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    I disagree Reedus. There is a reason that he felt compelled to go through the effort to burn them from his wheel chair or crutches. He did the right thing under the circumstance and I respect his decision.
    X2

Jman- Congrats on recognizing a potential problem and removing the temptation. It takes a strong person to do something like that.

When I had a very minor addiction several years ago, it really sucked coming off of them. I actually started wondering if I could fake an injury so I could get another prescription. Luckily I just manned up and got through it.

Later on I learned to control it. I've still got some leftovers from something, now I can't remember. Maybe broken ribs or a knee problem, but I've got some Percocet and Lortab in a container. It sure does come in handy when you take a spill on the trail or I tweak my knee again and just need about 24 hours of pain relief. The last time I used one was at the Moabfest in October, I had some wicked bad neck spasms and I had to fit a Slickrock bike ride in.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
    Definitely wouldn't have burned them. Ya put them in a safe keeping spot until the next time you get back from a canyoneering trip and your feet are blistered, your muscles are aching, and you feel the oncoming of a nasty cold. They also make a sweet addition to your possibles bag...
    Totally agree

But I guess if you were going to start knocking off pharmacies once your script ran out burning them now was a good idea. Otherwise I just would of enjoyed more then a few of them then stashed rest.

This is coming from a guy who still has painkillers stashed away from my ankle injury almost three years ago. Sure I splurged a bit for the first few weeks or so but once they were half gone... well I still have some. I always keep a few pain killers in my mini first aid kit and they have come in handy on more than a few occasions.
    Most recently after backpacking 20+ miles my feet were trashed and bloody having a little sompthing-sompthing once I got back to the car (I was not driving) really saved my day.

to each his own i guess.... but if we are hiking and you break your leg I am going to remind you while we wait for SAR that you should of kept yours while I am sharing mine

In the end, if you fear addiction, sell them for profit

I've been through 4 ACL reconstructions and some other choice injuries like shoulders and broken bones but the percocets and lortabs make me hallucinate (imaginary spiders and people) and when I've been shot up with demoral (after requesting no demoral!)I just about lost my lunch all over the hospital room. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    the doc asked me what I wanted for pain I told him tequila. He gave me percoset.
    Back in the good ol' days.... We were in St. George for spring break. It took us about 2 minutes to figure out that we could dive off our second floor balcony into the hotel swimming pool. Which really made the run back up to the room for anther beer a lot quicker....

Anyhoo.... my buddy Boozer dove off the balcony and cracked his head open on the bottom of the pool. So we loaded Boozer into the car and took him over to the hospital to get patched up. After stitching his head back up the doc handed Boozer some Percosets for the pain.... and the instructions.... "Don't take these with alcohol".... Boozer looked at the bottle of pills and tossed them back to the doc with the reply "In that case.... keep them".... the look on the doc's face was priceless....

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    and the instructions.... "Don't take these with alcohol".... Boozer looked at the bottle of pills and tossed them back to the doc with the reply "In that case.... keep them".... the look on the doc's face was priceless....

Classic!

Blog Entries
    In small doses it works great for excruciating pain! I'm not against that at all. Recreation use, though, is a horrible idea.

Again and again, news agencies, especially recently here in Utah, they say that there have been more deaths by prescription abuse than car accidents. That's shocking. And mothers who take narcotics while pregnant, pass on respiratory depression to their babies.

On a side-note, I worked for Dixie Ambulance in St. George and was with them for 2years as a EMT-I. Most obituaries down there of young adults were due to ODing of drugs and alcohol poisoning ...I saw those same kids as we loaded them up from their friends house or secret spot in the slickrock hills and administered CPR and narcan to remove the high. They would get a sinus rythm going for a sec, then due to the OD or recreation drugs or prescription pills, then their body would seize (which is very ugly sight) and go back into heart failure, for which CPR and ALS would not work. Time and time again, the story never changes, and it seems like people don't learn from others.

You may take it for blisters or a paper-cut, but I really hope one-day you won't become addicted. I learned I have the potential to be one, that's why I stopped.

I've never understood why people abuse pain pills because they don't make me high. If anything, they make me grumpy. Then again, no drug except pot has ever made me high and thankfully I quit trying to find a drug that would by the time I was 16.

I do take quite a bit of pain medication and muscle relaxants for the spasticity pain that comes with MS. They really work and I'd be a screaming cow without them.

Burning percoset? No way dudette. You should've kept them for bartering.

yeah dudette!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    Burning percoset? No way dudette. You should've kept them for bartering.
    it's kinda funny actually, that after I initially wrote the post, I got two PMs from people I have never seen before asking how much I would sell it to them for.

You have MS? Wow. I'm sorry.

Yup, I burned them - it was good sight alright!

Dudette.

jman's avatar may be a chick, (and totally mesmerizing) but jman's a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Dudette.

jman's avatar may be a chick, (and totally mesmerizing) but jman's a dude.

Duuuuuuuude....sorry.

Good for you man. I lost a cousin who had back surgery and ended up getting addicted to the pills. He was taking like (?)20 a day. I'm still pissed at him.
    Last edited by Glockguy; 05-08-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sp.

Jman's avatar really is mesmerizing. Even without the pain pills.

I have been back on pain pills again for less than a week and i am not happy with them.. my moods are all jacked up i just cant wait for the pain stem to be placed so i wont hurt any more. I have been given lortab 10's but i break them in half otherwise i get really sick from them. If i was going to have to wait for more than a week i would be researching some other way to resolve the pain again but for a week it is not so bad if you spend anymore time on them than that the body has some real issues coming off of the stuff and it is just not worth it IMHO..

Pain Pill & Addiction

What is a pain stem and how does it work?
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden