Thread: Things to see and do in CO

Things to see and do in CO

Hey y'all. We're planning on taking a week to explore CO in June. I'm looking for suggestions of must see places and things to do. We will have our vanagon and be camping in that.
    Some of what we would like to do is to start south, visit Mesa Verde, head to Duragno and see the sand dunes. After that... who knows, except we have some friends in Denver to visit. Would like to see Rocky Mtn NP as well.. but any suggestions for hikes or good trails? We will leave our bikes at home and mainly run trails and hike for entertainment.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!

Tree.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Just outside RMNP (sorta between it an Boulder) is the Indian Peaks Wilderness which has some fine walks. Did some 'packing there (Monarch Lake, Brainard Lake) when I was a young pup. It's touristy, but Garden of the Gods outside of CO Springs is nice (or was unless it got ruined). The Sangre De Cristo mountains have always intrigued me. Never set foot on them but I flew past them at about 13,000 ft once and they were stunning.

Now let's here from folks who actually live in the state...

Blog Entries
    I haven't done too much hiking in Colorado, but one in particular that stands out - is the Devil's Head hike. Here's some info if you are interested. Not too long either...

If you come on up to the Elk Mountain Range, I could suggest tons for you to do! Driving from Denver on I70, heading West on your way back, you could pass through Leadville as a scenic option and head over Independence Pass into Aspen. Independence Pass has many hiking options. Outside of Aspen/Snowmass, you could hike up to Conundrum hotsprings and soak with a breathtaking view. I know my area pretty well so if you want more info, give me a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by abirken View Post
    If you come on up to the Elk Mountain Range, I could suggest tons for you to do! Driving from Denver on I70, heading West on your way back, you could pass through Leadville as a scenic option and head over Independence Pass into Aspen. Independence Pass has many hiking options. Outside of Aspen/Snowmass, you could hike up to Conundrum hotsprings and soak with a breathtaking view. I know my area pretty well so if you want more info, give me a shout.
    Hey! I thought you lived in southern Utah??!!

Thanks for the suggestions! Where's the Elk Mountain Range? (well, I can look it up on the map) :-) We may go through Leadville, my husband tried to get in to the Leadville 100 race (it's a lottery) and didnt get in but we would like to check out the area for fun anyway. We just have to make sure our old van can get up some of those mountain passes! ha! I wonder how far Cunundrum hotsprings are - I'm thinking a good long run up would call for a nice rewarding soak, before running back down! Mmmmmmmm....
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. ~ Frost

Stop in Glenwood Springs if you get a chance. Great small town with the worlds largest Hot Springs pool, many natural (free) hot springs, lots of hiking, biking, rafting, caving, camping opportunities then head up Hwy 82 to see Maroon Bells then over Independence Pass to Leadville. On another note VanagonWe love our Vanagon. We have an 86 Syncro not a Westy, but it works for us. Great camping vehicle. Will be camping in ours again this weekend in Utah.
    Name:  IMG_5101..JPG
Views: 254
Size:  85.9 KB

I'm in Colorado (for now) so here's a few recommendations:

Garden of the Gods has nothing on southern Utah. It's quite depressing actually to visit there when you're missing the colorado plateau redrock.
    Stop in Manitou Springs for some of the carbonated springwater. It's right by the Garden of the Gods.

Do a 14er. The easiest ones are Pikes Peak or Mt Evans- you can drive to the top of both. Or if you want to hike one, Mt Bierstadt or Mt Elbert (highpoint).

The Million Dollar Highway is a pretty sweet road- lots of high country, mining relics, and steep dropoffs.

Stop by Zapata Falls near the Great Sand Dunes.

Visit the Denver Mint. You need reservations- so get those ahead of time. The tour is about half an hour long.

If you're heading for the north front range, my blog has a bunch of the stuff in the Fort Collins area.
    http://livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Stop in Glenwood Springs if you get a chance. Great small town with the worlds largest Hot Springs pool, many natural (free) hot springs, lots of hiking, biking, rafting, caving, camping opportunities then head up Hwy 82 to see Maroon Bells then over Independence Pass to Leadville. On another note VanagonWe love our Vanagon. We have an 86 Syncro not a Westy, but it works for us. Great camping vehicle. Will be camping in ours again this weekend in Utah.
    Name:  IMG_5101..JPG
Views: 254
Size:  85.9 KB
    Sounds like a great place! I wish we had a syncro, just to get to some of the harder to reach places, but love ours nonetheless. We've taken it back into some sketchy spots and it's done well.

Name:  timpanogos-002..jpg
Views: 196
Size:  32.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by uintahiker View Post
    I'm in Colorado (for now) so here's a few recommendations:

Garden of the Gods has nothing on southern Utah. It's quite depressing actually to visit there when you're missing the colorado plateau redrock.
    Stop in Manitou Springs for some of the carbonated springwater. It's right by the Garden of the Gods.

Do a 14er. The easiest ones are Pikes Peak or Mt Evans- you can drive to the top of both. Or if you want to hike one, Mt Bierstadt or Mt Elbert (highpoint).

The Million Dollar Highway is a pretty sweet road- lots of high country, mining relics, and steep dropoffs.

Stop by Zapata Falls near the Great Sand Dunes.

Visit the Denver Mint. You need reservations- so get those ahead of time. The tour is about half an hour long.

If you're heading for the north front range, my blog has a bunch of the stuff in the Fort Collins area.
    http://livevicariouslythroughus.blogspot.com/
    THANKS! Will definitely love to do some of this - especially a 14er!!! I've been to Garden of the Gods before, we can skip that. We'll be up near Ft. Collins, I have a friend that lives in Greely, so will be visiting there for a day. Thanks again!