Thread: Ideas for backpacking Robber's Roost area?

Ideas for backpacking Robber's Roost area?

Hi! I've enjoyed checking out the site. I'm looking for ideas for destinations in the Robber's Roost area of Utah (3 days/2 nights) for this weekend. We like exploring canyons/slots, but no rappelling skills. A loop would be great, but not necessary. I have a Kelsey book, but his descriptions can be pretty disjointed and hard to follow, and distances are pretty vague. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Hiking Goddess, welcome to Bogley!

I wish I could help, but I haven't really spent much time in the Roost - Horseshoe Canyon, and that's about it. Hopefully someone else can jump in with something in time to be of help.

Whatever you do, have a great weekend!

I've never been to the Roost area but I found a site recently that has a lot of trip information on the area, the URL is http://climb-utah.com/Roost/index.htm. Hope that helps.

Backpacking out and camping under colonnade arch would be awesome... but really short a only 2-3 miles round trip but one of the coolest arches in Utah that sees very little traffic.
    The Roost canyons are primarily a canyoneering destination so you may want to post in that forum, some of those guys don't reallly seem to venture out into other areas of the forum.

you mean teh robbers roost canyon complex along the dirty devil ? you could hike down the angel cove trail to the river and base there and wander.

or another option (if you are nto set in stone on the roost) is head a little further south and access the white canyon complex. probably more bang for the buck there for non-tech slot/narrows fun. any of a number of canyons are easily accessed - cheesebox, gravel, long for the most popular nad recognized. all are beautiful and non-tech.

Thanks for all the great info! It looks like Robber's Roost area is on hold for this weekend: no room at the kennel for our dog, so he's coming along. While he is an amazingly agile dog, I'm afraid there would be places we would want to explore where he couldn't go (though he has been through Ding and Dang with us, it took a team of three to help pass him down a couple of drop-offs). So, we're going to show up at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station early Friday morning, and see if we can get a permit for Grand Gulch, or Road or Lime. This is likely to be the last year dogs are allowed in GG and possibly the east side Cedar Mesa canyons, too. So this could be our only chance.

Thanks again!