Thread: Looking for a place to backpack over Memorial day

Looking for a place to backpack over Memorial day

Looking for any suggestions for a backpacking trip over Memorial weekend, round 3 to 8 miles. I live in Ogden and looking for something within 2 to 3 hours drive. Pretty new to the backpacking scene, any help would be great. Fishing would be a bonus but not necessary. Thanks, look forward to your replies.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is still plenty of snow in the prime backpacking areas in the northern end of the state. Unless it all melts in the next three weeks I would seriously consider extending your drive times and head down south to where the weather is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    There is still plenty of snow in the prime backpacking areas in the northern end of the state. Unless it all melts in the next three weeks I would seriously consider extending your drive times and head down south to where the weather is perfect.
    X2

In late May, there are many possibilities within 2-3 hours of Ogden, but few have fishing.

Lewis Peak near Ogden might be pretty snow free by then. A little snow might actually make it easier since you can melt it for water.

Malans Peak/Waterfall Canyon loop should be fine for Memorial Day and is also near Ogden.

Father south, the SLC/Provo areas have several good hiking areas that you can camp. Mt. Olympus or Grandeur Peak from the west are both options. I have camped on the summit of Grandeur Peak many times at that time of year. If you're willing to haul a pack up, there are some good campsites at the small saddle south of the Olympus summit.

A little farther south the Grove Creek/Battle Creek Loop or the Dry Creek/Battle Creek loop will probably have a little snow, but probably not that much.

Near Provo, Rock Canyon, Slide Canyon or Slate Canyon all make nice backpacking trips. Finding water in late May shouldn't be a problem.

A little father out, but still within your driving limitations is Fool Peak or any of the other peaks in the Canyon Range. Late May shouldn't have much snow left. Fool Peak, Williams Peak, Partridge Peak and Buck Peak are all good summits.

The San Pitch Mountains (south of Mount Nebo) are also good in late May and usually there isn't much snow by then. There are several nice hikes there.

The above are trails (at least most of the way) which is why I suggested them since you are new to the sport.

After obtaining a little more experience, there are plenty of great backpacks in the West Desert and May is one of the best time to go. For example, the Sheeprock Mountains are good in late May and have some nice peaks. A fighter plane is crashed on the south side of Black Crook Peak.

If you did want to head to SE Utah, the Book Cliffs or San Rafael areas are closer, but would be over three hours, though not by that much.

Thanks for the info, I some spots to think about. Will let ya know on what I decide.

Have you looked at Antelope Island? They might have some backcountry sites for backpacking...

Have you looked at Antelope Island? They might have some backcountry sites for backpacking...
    Unless things have changed in recent years, you can only legally camp in the campgrounds.

Go to Adams Canyon east of Layton off of hwy 89. I just hiked there on Monday and the scenery is amazing with only a few spots of snow on the trail. A lot of water flowing, no fish that I'm aware of. I have hiked this 30 times and it is the best it has ever looked. There are numerous campsites throughout. Especially look on the other side of the creek for some more secluded camp sites away from the trail. The waterfall is pretty cool as well. It is approx. 6 miles round trip.

Deep Creek Mountains, south of Wendover. You can go from Desert to as much snow as you want.

There's the cabin up Adams Canyon that might be a good little trip. Lots of elevation gain, a couple miles in. Great views & cool spot.