Thread: Uintah's in July suggestions

Uintah's in July suggestions

Hey all i'm looking for a good place in the uintah's that i can take my fam wife and 2 boys 8 and 9. I'd like to hike in 5-8 miles friday chill then hike out sunday any idea's for newbs? i have packed b4 but wife and kids have not but we're pretty tough and adventurous

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

With 8 and 9 y/o's I'd cut down the distance. 8 miles is a long ways with a pack for kids.

Long Lake Loop
    http://www.climb-utah.com/Uinta/long.htm

The route visits a large variety of lakes, meadows and streams. The Long Lake area offers a great introduction to overnight backpacking.

The route visits Crystal Lake, Long Lake, Island Lake, Fire Lake, Duck Lake, Pot Lake, Weir Lake and Marjorie Lake. All of which are stocked with fish.

Long Lake area would be good. If you want to do a through hike instead of a loop, you can continue down the trail and end at Smith & Morehouse Reservoir. And it's pretty much all downhill except for the first 3/4 mile out of the Crystal Lake Trailhead.

That is assuming you have a shuttle.

What about Notch Lake? I've been there a couple of times but I can't remember the mileage. That hike was also mostly flat to down hill going in.

Uintah

Thanks that sounds perfect! Ill have to contact that group for some trailhead way points=) Where can i get a good detailed topo of the area? Kirkhams? Any other families out there that wanna join up with us?

The Crystal Lake Trailhead is at: N 40

[QUOTE=uintahiker;401492]The Crystal Lake Trailhead is at: N 40

5-8 miles with unexperienced wife and kids is a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG ways. I would look for something around 2-3 miles.

8 miles is a long ways with a pack for kids.
    5-8 miles with unexperienced wife and kids is a LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG ways. I would look for something around 2-3 miles.
    How else would they learn though?

At age 4, my son was getting up to 14 miles a day. At age 5, my daughter could do more than 11. Of course that was after practice.

I think 5-8 miles a day is more than reasonable for a 8 and 9 year old, as long as they are in reasonable shape, even if they are inexperienced. You could always stop short if you have to, but it wouldn't hurt to at least try for 5-8 miles (as long as they are having a good time of it).

================================================== ==================================================

The suggestions above are good ones.

I would also suggest theWall Lake/Clyde Lake Loop

Granddaddy Basin is fairly easy (one hill to climb over, then mostly flat) and popular, but it's somewhat over-rated and not as scenic as some of the basins in the Uintas.

Christmas Meadows is nice and very pretty, plus not that far, plus you can extend the hike and make it longer if you want to.

Allsop Lake from East Fork Bear River is a good one, but it may be somewhat long. If so you could always go part way.

Cleaveland and Quent Lakes would be good, but that's a longer drive from places like SLC. Same with Beaver Lake or Tamarack Lake.

If you don't mind something uphill, but not that long, Bald Lake makes a nice destination, but it is fairly steep for the first mile and a half or so and then for the short distance down to the lake.

PS, July usually has many mosquitoes in all the areas listed above and on the other post. Bring bug juice. Mosquitoes are usually gone by mid-August, but earlier or later depending on snowpack. In 1995 they were still thick in late August. In 1994, they were gone by the first of August.